#1 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

There are quite a few changes that I would like to see in the ranging department.

Firstly shooting a large mob like a bear should be easier then shooting a rabbit but should do less damage. Anyone heard the saying he couldn't even hit the broad side of a barn? Well it should also be easier to shoot a mob that is coming straight at you or in the case of quadrupeds like deer, bears, wolves etc, a side shoot should be easier.

Then when you shoot a mob from about 6 steps away, the closest that you can get before it says Too close, you should do more damage as the force that the arrow hits the mob with would be greater but the mob should be more likely to attack a close ranger then a far one.

If you wanted to lure a mob shouldn't a piece of meat in the case of bears, vegetable in the case of bunnies or a bottle of wine or ale...be better lures?

As well as it being more difficult to shoot a mob from far the arrow also wouldn't penetrate into the mobs body as far so long shots should do less damage.

The different bows improve accuracy, speed and the force which the arrow gets shot with...so you can stand a bit further away from the mob and get the same damage with a better bow...

Then I think as with mixing special things the ranger should also have a chance for a lucky shot like a critical hit when you melee...
Shouldn't hitting a Cyclops in the eye do a nice large amount of damage? Or a head shot on a goblin might kill it outright...these should be rare occurrences...1:10000 downward related to the skill of the ranger.

At the same time there are accidents that can happen when you range google "arrow through hand...." (not for the squimish) or "archery string slap" maybe also you could take some damage when you range as a balance to the awesome head shots and critical damage shots....

The last thing...I think that if your character is on terrain above a mob you should have a benefit in force (damage) and if the mob is above you it should vastly decrease force and accuracy.

I think that ranging should be a distance and angle skill.. not just a click fest...

Regards
SAWolf

Edited by SAWolf, 24 March 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:42 PM

Good post SW :D

#3 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

Yes. I don't know about /vastly/ increasing/decreasing damage based on height though. It would be a noticeable difference, not a vast difference.

#4 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

Good post wolf, nice ideas I particularly like the idea of using bait because of the lack of any kind of keyboard short cuts for targeting.  I also think arrows should be reusable or come down significantly in price.

#5 idefix

idefix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

I agree that ranging from point blank range on a large stationary target should not miss too often, while a running rabbit at max range should be harder to hit.

Also think it could be interesting that every arrow that you shoot has some percentage chance of being "reusable", i.e. take the arrow out of the rabbit and put it back to your quiver. The arrows would be lootable from the bag that appears when the enemy dies. This would make ranging slightly less expensive, and could help out a lot in long battles with lots of monsters (i.e. DTF) so you wouldn't run out arrows so easily.

And while we're at it, I'd also like craftable arrows. Or maybe you could craft normal arrows into "elemental" (enchanted) arrows. Different enriched essences could be used as tools for making them: you would "dip" the arrowhead into an EFE to make it a fire arrow, or into a EDE to make it a PK arrow, etc. The enriched essence would have a chance to break (similar to a vial mold).

#6 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

Good ideas. I'm not going to say those are balanced or in any way feasible, but it is still great to have these kinds of ideas flowing. EFE specifically is an interesting use, but I don't see it being very balanced if it is suddenly used as a tool. Not sure about that.

Arrows dropping is an example of an awesome idea that everyone would be down for, but would take a lot of work to be implemented. Remember we're working on Learner's free time when it comes to this kind of coding, and he usually has other priorities. I'd add it to the list though!

View Postebattleon, on 30 May 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

Good post wolf, nice ideas I particularly like the idea of using bait because of the lack of any kind of keyboard short cuts for targeting.  I also think arrows should be reusable or come down significantly in price.

This just gave me the idea...if we have to click once for melee and then it keeps attacking, why do we have to click for every shot with Ranged? Would it be possible to click attack on a target and keep shooting it until it's out of range, too close, we get attacked, or we choose to stop shooting?

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 31 May 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

This just gave me the idea...if we have to click once for melee and then it keeps attacking, why do we have to click for every shot with Ranged? Would it be possible to click attack on a target and keep shooting it until it's out of range, too close, we get attacked, or we choose to stop shooting?
How about if your friend step in the way and you don't want to hit him?

#8 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostLearner, on 31 May 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

View PostKiwi06, on 31 May 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

How about if your friend step in the way and you don't want to hit him?

Any time your shot would be obstructed, you get the same "shot obstructed" arrow message, and can't shoot.

*error message lmao

#9 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Just pointing out that there are a lot of extra complexity with Ranging there because there is the distance, the target can move around, and others can get in the way. For example, automated shooting in the case we talked about would cause ranging 'lag' because most people would end up waiting for the message instead of seeing the shot could get blocked and having to move.

#10 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:01 AM

Yep. It's all pretty complicated. Which is what I was saying about implementation of these kinds of ideas. Rarely are good features quick and easy to create, unless you're getting paid to do it, in which case lots more work can get done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users