• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:33 AM

With recent changes that have been going into the code to better support WebAccess, it's now time to reconsider what information you want to see for you're own stats via WebAccess, This is for your personally, not about letting others see things.

The old method was cumbersome and all the HTML formatting was done by the same program that read your saved player information. The recent changes allow us to replace that program with one that instead of doing the HTML formatting produces information easily readable by PHP which makes it much easier to do more stuff with it. Plus, if you are currently logged in the real-time stats can be made available instead of your last save.

This is how the Guild Merchants are already being handled and much more complex information is available as well. Basically I can separate the formatting of the information from the data gathering while also allowing for things to be more dynamic.

What all would you like to see about yourself on the website? What's more important to you? Or should I just ignore making that more user friendly for now?

Some of the initial things that have popped into my head already:
* Current Inventory
* Storage (either alpha sort or grouped by storage type?)
* Buddies (and possibly if they are logged in or not)
* Achievement Information
* ?

Thoughts, ideas, Discuss!

#2 Vinoveritas

Vinoveritas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

question what is stored on server on infos about one self.
It would for example be nice to be able to set up item lists and so on over a website, but that is stored localy.

#3 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

For me, the current stats page is perfectly ok the way it is.  Would not want buddies listed there, have that in a window already.  That goes for all your other suggestions, what we have now on the stats page is fine the way it is.

Thanks for offering more though :)

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostVinoveritas, on 09 February 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

question what is stored on server on infos about one self.
It would for example be nice to be able to set up item lists and so on over a website, but that is stored localy.
People that use more then one computer have a better item whats server side & whats client side. Things like Quest Logs, Item Lists, and Counters for example are all client side. Even you're AFK status is client side only.

#5 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

I want to see your "priorities" list to be honest. Can you show it to us?

What is all about WebAccess? Why are you so obsessed with it?

I am really confused. Is WebAccess really more IMPORTANT than new items, new spawns, other GAME changes?

I really started to think that you're just trolling us with these kind of topics. FFS.

-Kadfuckingdy.

#6 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

I like all those ideas but I'm wary of price increasing on premium if it gets too useful lol. I think the real cool feature would be to be able to use # commands such as #gm, #ig #list etc

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Certain things that have been going into the server code is whats been allowing WebAccess to gain features. These changes include improvements to .def file handling & data storage subsystems (including player saves) to make it easier to add features to the server itself. For example, adding the namechange history information to a player was done in such a way that other more variable information can now be easily added to the player and also more accessible to WebAccess and other tools. Enhancing the .def parsing to account for that then made adding a new feature to the Magic system easier (which has been implemented already) and is laying the groundwork for Quests, Full Invasions, Premium Guilds, Package Delivery, Drop Measuremeant Tool, Def Audit Tool improvements and other things. So when other ideas pop out I'll post them here for people to discuss and expand on it so in the future it can go into the priority list and people can comment if something new does need to be high priority.

It's not that it's a priority rather that doing stuff there is is getting easier. After ideas area hashed around then we can look at where to put it in the priorities list. Some lower priority things have managed to get done sooner since they are smaller projects as opposed to the more massive ones that require me to focus on them.

Currently, your PlayerStats page is NOT Premium, anyone can access their open page by setting up WebAccess and the logging in. Whether this would require Premium or not is something players can provide input on but I'm biased against adding seeing your player information in more detail to Premium. Doing more things from WebAccess on the other hand should be premium.

#8 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Tbh, the more information the better. Whats the harm? albeit buddies, stats, levels, even exp needed for future levels, storage, everything

#9 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

I'm wondering at what point it becomes basically a browser game. I'd be happy with that lol. Well, I would back in the past where I could be on my pc at work. I think some people have that ability.

#10 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 10 February 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm wondering at what point it becomes basically a browser game. I'd be happy with that lol. Well, I would back in the past where I could be on my pc at work. I think some people have that ability.

Not to mention there are now computer OS's that do not allow for downloadable content; i.e. Chrome OS doesn't allow for any client to be downloaded/ran, unless you change the OS (which typically is not allowed as these are school/work provided computers with administrative restrictions on developer mode) So making a browser-based version could potentially increase the playerbase by the availability, more-so than EL currently has (aside from the android client, which btw, brings in a lot... I think personally I'd prefer that being worked on along with a browser client rather than additional webaccess features...)
Then after the new clients we could begin getting the new items that were promised as more lands were added, yes, currently we do not have the things required for making most things (Hyrdrogenium, Wolfram, etc. etc.) But at the same time, these are all things that need to be added... IT should be fair enough considering there are players in their 90's, still on cycs... Add dragons; get red dragon armor, allow titanium and such, there is not a reason to rstrict OL. The WebAccess is getting more attention than the game itself. Yes, it is a wonderful program/feature, but really, it shouldn't be such a high priority, and you should probably be following your priority list (See Kaddy's post).
BUT, if we must go on with WebAccess currently... Just add every feature possible I guess, throw in a web client while you're at it. Start allowing other players stats, there is a #Set_privacy on/off function for a reason. Currently the EL stats show their levels, build, instance level, CL, and achievements, which is what you're seeming to go after. So why not use what's already there?
~Eats

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that WebAccess is NOT intended for playing or replacing the client. It's intended to compliment it.

#12 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

it has certainly made it possible to improve the service we provide from the sto bots :-)

#13 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

I don't think L's attention is on web access so much as it is everywhere all at once. Topics like these are more of a bookmark stating that he's developed the ability to do this and asking for input on it. A lot of good things get developed from these kinds of things; from map audit tool, to boss drops, and further development of NPC/shop code, you name it.

Like it or not, I believe this is just the way L works. This being a lower priority doesn't mean that taking note of it should be unheard of. It takes about 5 minutes to read and respond to this discussion. It's not the end of the world to talk about possibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users