• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Dear OL-community,

at this time there are a couple of heavily used items whose degraded versions look brand new. Learner indicated that this could be changed. Please find a draft on how those degraded items could look in the future: https://docs.google....6PQVriHZc/edit .

Please comment on what you are thinking, specifically you may think about:

1) is the yellow dot is actually necessary? Probably a test on an actual client with low resolution is needed for a decision.
2) are there any items missing which should have a degraded version?

Note that all is automized, so I would prefer NOT to have a unique procedure for each item. However, a small set of procedures is acceptable. For instance, one may treat armor and cloaks differently than weapons.

Another note: I remember that there was a discussion of having multiple versions of items/weapons, however, with different qualities. This automization would allow to generate the required images easily.

Edited by Learner, 23 May 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#2 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

Well, we could make them look tattered/brokenish. Easily done by editing the items mesh... Btw, your link is not working.

~Eats

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Links not working.

Also i think a downward facing triangle in the corner would be a good idea to make it more readable at a glance that it's degraded, rather than a dot. It's a better signifier and immediately understandable what it means.

#4 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Corrected the link by inserting a space between the link and period ...

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2076 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostBlakKat, on 23 May 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

Corrected the link by inserting a space between the link and period ...
I edited your edit, the link itself still had the period

#6 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

I would prefer the yellow dot to be in the lower right hand corner and not the top left, easier to see (if we are going with the yellow dot)?
The triangle is also a good idea from Butler I would also prefer to have over a dot.

Also that quality topic is http://www.other-lif...7-item-quality/

#7 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

google-doc updated with triangle version (see page 2).

#8 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'll make some textures and show you examples of the "degraded" outlook.

#9 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 29 May 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Here is an iron greaves degraded texture example... Always able to be tweaked, it was just a little bit of putting together example... NOT a final piece.

Front Side1 Side 2 Back

(I couldn't post the images... something about file extension... idk ask Learner why the Gyazo images don't work.)

#10 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 29 May 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

Here is an iron greaves degraded texture example... Always able to be tweaked, it was just a little bit of putting together example... NOT a final piece.

Front Side1 Side 2 Back

(I couldn't post the images... something about file extension... idk ask Learner why the Gyazo images don't work.)

sorry, but they look like regular greaves with black lines painted across them to try an make them look cracked. The cracks also look too uniform, whilst there is nothing to any of the metal around the cracks to suggest the metal has weakened or damaged. also for them to break in that way, i don't know what you would have to do with them. I think BK is in a better situation, trying to make the metal look weakened, worn, and yes that can have some cracks in it.

The boot material also looks untouched whilst the metal doesn't except for the black streaks.

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2076 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

The last I knew BK was only working with the icons, not the actual texture to help with inventory/storage/trade.

#12 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostLearner, on 30 May 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

The last I knew BK was only working with the icons, not the actual texture to help with inventory/storage/trade.

The approach to the designs though should carry over to the textures if they are to be done at this stage. Rusted, worn, been used to physical deterioration. BK's stuff does actually look rusted and such, which is my main point with eat's attempt, as eat's doesn't. It is something achievable in paint.

#13 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Just to confirm: I was working only on the icons to remove some annoying confusions during equipping and trading.  I am using ImageMagick and use first the colorburn option to add dirt from a simple generic image (added this generic image now in the google-doc) and then use the colordodge option to add the yellow triangle.

Of course it would be good to have degraded items carry over to the actual items.

Adding dents and cracks like eats started doing it would be great. But I fear it will need to be customized for each item.

#14 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

View Postbutler, on 30 May 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

View PostEatsAllLife, on 29 May 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

Front Side1 Side 2 Back

sorry, but they look like regular greaves with black lines painted across them to try an make them look cracked. The cracks also look too uniform, whilst there is nothing to any of the metal around the cracks to suggest the metal has weakened or damaged. also for them to break in that way, i don't know what you would have to do with them. I think BK is in a better situation, trying to make the metal look weakened, worn, and yes that can have some cracks in it.

The boot material also looks untouched whilst the metal doesn't except for the black streaks.

As I said. Just a small example and not at all final. I can do more. I was just showing a little example of the cracked metal.

#15 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

bumping it to see whether there is more input. The link to  https://docs.google....G6PQVriHZc/edit is still active. The last set of icons would probably be the one to scrutinize.

Note that I am talking only about the icons which would show up in your inventory, trading, or storage window. I think Eats ideas can/should be discussed independent of this.

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

I still would swap the yellow dot to a downward yellow arrow, but apart from that, I like the graphics.

#17 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

Removed the option with dot in upper left so that all options are on the first page. Butler, please confirm that the last option is what you want.

#18 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

I forgot it was two pages... I'm smart me...

Yeah, the last option is great. Also nice seeing to overlays you've used :D

#19 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

I would like to compose a list of items for which we need a degraded icon. Here is what I have so far:

- Steel Axe
- Titanium Axe
- Titanium Chain Mail
- Titanium/Steel Alloy Long Sword
- Iron Cuisses
- Iron Greave
- Iron Plate Mail

Added to list on 8/8:
- Iron Axe
- Titanium Serpent Sword
- Titanium/Steel Alloy Short Sword

Please let me know which other degraded items are missing. Note that I would like to focus on the ones actually used by OL.

#20 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

Then you should count Tit Axe out and add Tit Serp instead.

-Kaddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: degrading, degraded, items

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users