31 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Ref: http://www.other-lif...rums-to-france/

We do have opportunities available to lower the normal monthly costs for the Game & Map/Docs servers in Canada which weren't there a year ago ir we want to go through the hassles of upgrading and replacing both machines to save about $25/mth total. This would be a slightly better machine then proposed for the France server (they aren't currently available in France, tough that may change).

Pros:
* Newer machines then we have currently
* Similar performance to what we have now to slightly better.
* New version of OS on Game (Map/Docs was already rebuilt using a newer version)
* Some cost savings )which could go to help offset the additional cost of the proposed France
server)
* The new servers would the Intel E5 1620v2 4 core/8 thread @ 3.7+Ghz with ECC memory to prevent RAM bit errors with 2x2TB disk in a RAID configuration (same disk setup we currently have)

Cons:
* Major distraction from Perks update since during Summer is the best time to upgrade Game
* Hassles with players when switching Game to the new machine (though a lower hassle method has been identified that would need testing).
* Additional costs during transition since a new server has to be rented then setup before a switch, then repeat for the other server (or do both at the same time with higher costs that month)
* Major distraction for enhancing OL while it's taking place.

Note that this discussion is independent of the France server discussion, and I personally consider it lower priority then the France change for Test/Forums. This is being posted as a side effect of that discussion and can be upgraded to a Poll if people think it's more important.

#2 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Well I'm all for saving money, I believe anything that saves you and then the players money is good. However I was looking forward to perks being implemented as soon as possible.

Just my 2 cents

MugEN

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

View Postmugen, on 13 July 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Well I'm all for saving money, I believe anything that saves you and then the players money is good. However I was looking forward to perks being implemented as soon as possible.

Just my 2 cents

MugEN
That's why I mention this instead of just digging in on it so the players can discuss and prioritize if desired.

#4 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostLearner, on 13 July 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Just my 2 cents

MugEN
That's why I mention this instead of just digging in on it so the players can discuss and prioritize if desired.

Exactly, well my opinion is perks over server changes, if others disagree I am not going to kick off and complain :D

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Perks over server change is probably better short term. Pausing to make all the server changes is probably better in the long run ... but the players will have to listing to bitching about delays.

#6 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostLearner, on 13 July 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Perks over server change is probably better short term. Pausing to make all the server changes is probably better in the long run ... but the players will have to listing to bitching about delays.

Well either way I'll be happy - progress is progress after all

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:13 AM

I'd say test would be worth doing relatively soon, since that'll have more effect for development. Though maps/docs would be good to move over, it's not as much of a priority, so it could wait till after perks. (saying this as there are only a handful or two utilising that portion of the development train, whilst test server is more actively used by the wider community).

<snip>
Just my 2 cents
<snip>
You're British!

*slams down two pennies*

#8 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

View Postbutler, on 14 July 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

<snip>

<snip>
Just my 2 cents
<snip>
You're British!

*slams down two pennies*

Slaps down 2 pennies instead :D

#9 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

My opinion on priorities is the same as butler's. Just here to give a response to show another voice. :P

#10 GypsyNomad

GypsyNomad

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

well if perks are going to be pushed back may I suggest that for the next couple of weekend invasions that you post this forum in Noobie channel every hour or so & then you will get much more feed back. If you can save money then do it. I don't see how this will save the player's money unless they are buying something from you

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

Checking schedules & everything that's installed on systems combined with typical player online info, right now it looks like August is the best time to switch the Main Game server. The game server is also the easiest server to upgrade. Maps/Docs has the most software installed that would need testing to make sure it's running properly, and can be done more at leisure while the game server is more timing sensitive since more players will notice the downtime during the final switch over.

Gypsy, it's not a given that the priority is high enough to allow delays on Perks which is why the thread was started now for discussion to get player input. Why players won't directly notice the lower costs, these upgrades do also help reduce the impact of the Test/Forums proposed upgrade. As for spamming this link at players in game, they should be checking in here or it's doubtful they would bother giving feedback. Look at how few players actually look at the welcome message when they login as one example, or those that learner about a new feature posted here a month or two after it has gone live.

The Test/Forums upgrade in my opinion is more important, but there are several advantages to getting all three server on the same version of the OS & toolsm specially after upgrading Test/Forums.

#12 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostLearner, on 13 July 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

What do we bitch for? I'm always up for some bitching. J/k.

My priority would be first some gameplay change then save money. Coz the gameplay change would save some bitching and would give you some time to set things up for server change.

#13 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Agree with Kaddy.

If the performance wont be much difference, then lets stick with perks, afterall we dont want perks to be another onew of those 'magic update' shenanigans. We've had enough of those as is, wouldnt u agree?

Why couldnt we get these... 'changes' later on after perks are done, whats stopping us? i mean ffs, really, are you just trying to purposely delay any changes to perks/magic update(hehe)  for a reason? if so just say straight up

And as for butlers comment, any changes to test server will not make ANY difference to 'development' i mean, almost every player we have is a developer in some sort, lets be real now

And just so new players understand, 'MAGIC UPDATE' has been in the works for what... how many years? i have lost count, someone fill this in

#14 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostWarlock, on 16 July 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Agree with Kaddy.

If the performance wont be much difference, then lets stick with perks, afterall we dont want perks to be another onew of those 'magic update; shenanigans. We've had enough of those as is, wouldnt u agree

Why couldnt we get these... 'changes' later on after perks are done, whats stopping us?by
We have a window of opportunity this summer with Game while there are fewer players for a change to bother if there are any issues. Plus, doing the upgrades of these servers lowers the operational costs which means the effective increase  Dev/Forums France server would be lower, so I'll be less likely to fall short and have to bother players about it.

Performance wise, I expect only during Halloween would be any difference and the new server would handle the high load better. The other big difference is for me since if we do the France upgrade in the other thread, that reduces how many different versions of the OS I'm working with (to 1 or 2 depending is Maps/Docs gets updated). Current Forums is the oldest version, Game second oldest, Test is new with left overs from older, and Maps/Docs is the newest. Each has little differences from the others.

If costs were the only consideration I could go even cheaper by having less RAM in the Game & Map/Docs server. I wasn't looking at trying to do this, rather it's something that presented itself when I was digging into things for the France server.

I realize the players concerns and priorities, which is why I brought this up for discussion instead of jumping in and doing it.

#15 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:07 AM

Anything that makes Learner's work a little easier while he is improving the game is alright by me.  I say make the move L. :D

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

<snip>
And as for butlers comment, any changes to test server will not make ANY difference to 'development' i mean, almost every player we have is a developer in some sort, lets be real now
<snip>

Allows segregation of different branches of testing, which *could* help development.

*could* is basically the keywords for the test server side, map/docs side, there is half a dozen or so people who *might* see the difference, which isn't really justifiable at this point with so many delays and push backs.

Opinion on test server is that it has a greater chance of helping (and i hope it would be resolved within a short time frame, and again, hope), but we really, really, really need to get some noticeable game play updates soon. Perks look fantastic, and, moving onto that...

And just so new players understand, 'MAGIC UPDATE' has been in the works for what... how many years? i have lost count, someone fill this in
3-4 years from what I can make out. It's a joke. It's genuinely a "I will wait for hell to freeze over, what about you?" "I'll wait a bit longer, when the magic update comes" type of joke.

and to pre-empt some of the arguments, L has done a lot of housekeeping in moving server from being a hardcoded piece of shit to at least being more flexible, however, we need to get at least a trickle on new content. Just a sip, just a bead of water rolling down the unmovable rock, to wet our tongues. Need to balance server housekeeping and new content. Number of the client updates I believe were Annr's, maps being the most sizeable update in the last year being by Zian and founded by a few people a year and a half ago, and the event houses being a Zian/Grimm co-lab, and invasion evens being SAW's. People are frustrated because little has come out new and it's been by 4ish players.

#17 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

There has also been a lot of work thats gone it so we could add DL, including putting in reasonable systems for adding NPC's, Shops, .def syntax checking, Map Audits, as well as many changes in the last year to make it more playable not even connected to DL.

#18 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

The question is, did we really need DL before magic update? I think not.

#19 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

View PostKaddy, on 17 July 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

The question is, did we really need DL before magic update? I think not.

Agree lol, its hard enough to navigate invasions/get back to DB's on these new maps let alone.

I just want perks to be done first before anything else
Rly perks could be a fking game changer, FINALLY guys, after so many years worth of dedication in moaning to L about this and asking the same questions every single bloody week

The only other thing i care about for OL now is this propsed Tier system for weapons/armours. - http://www.other-lif...574-item-tiers/

#20 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Now that Test & Forums has been moved in under week (even with an issue getting forums working properly), I can safely say that the Main Game Server can be done in 2-3 days (less if things go smoothly), and at worst 1/2 hour downtime while the DNS changes at the end. The Main Game as I said before is the more important of these two to consider moving and the easiest. It's the oldest version of everything and upgrading it will put it to the same versions as Dev and faster then currently at lower cost.

In the mean time I'm back to Perks now, taking advantage of not getting in the way of others on test as I mangle Dev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users