• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

Ok, while talking with someone about the proposed Test/Forums server, had an idea that could be of interest but not sure of the priority.

In game you already have a #set_email command to assign an email address to help with lost password recovery ... what if we set it up so that email set to [email protected] (in my case [email protected]) gets forwarded to them?

Points to consider:
* Should this be for paid Premium players only?
* Are their requirements needed for the sending player to prevent abuse by troublemakers?
* emails would be forwarded to the email account set with #set_email
* there can be a delay between using #set_email before the email system would see it.
* Server Delayed messages could be sent to players via email
* when a new #Day starts an email can be sent
* Some anti-spam would be built into the email server
* should emails be allowed to come from anywhere or only from acceptable email addresses that translate to a valid [email protected]? Extra setup would be needed if we need add this
* since it's a valid email address, that also means it's possible a player can use that email address to register in the forums..
* what level of interest/priority for this?
* what other features could it have?
* ???

#2 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

I see this as a premium feature...could be expanded in future. delayed PMs?

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

View PostZian, on 15 July 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

I see this as a premium feature...could be expanded in future. delayed PMs?

* Server Delayed messages could be sent to players via email
* when a new #Day starts an email can be sent

#4 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Same here, Premium, Would it be possible to reply though server, IE send as [email protected] ?

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

I'm planning on looking into replies having the From: email address translated to an @other-life.com email address. The idea is to mask what the actual email addresses are. At the moment I haven't done any serious digging, just some brainstorming, but I know that the email server I prefer to use has lots of hooks related to virtualization and can pass the emails through external programs as needed.

#6 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

thanks, I like the idea of being [email protected]   :-)

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1181 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

I would be tempted to say extend to people doing development, as that would be a good utility if we try to reach out to people outside the OL community to help work with us (it looks more professional).

That is a mild note.

Not sure how this helps with email recovery. Would it have a web client, or would we require something like thunderbird.
(I am tired, i may have missed some points)

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

View Postbutler, on 15 July 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

I would be tempted to say extend to people doing development, as that would be a good utility if we try to reach out to people outside the OL community to help work with us (it looks more professional).

That is a mild note.

Not sure how this helps with email recovery. Would it have a web client, or would we require something like thunderbird.
(I am tired, i may have missed some points)
I'm planning on this system not having any mailboxes or stored mail instead it will forward to your existing email address. Since there won't be an actual mailbox then a full web interface isn't needed. On the other had, there is no reason why a WebAccess page couldn't be setup just to send emails since we already have something in-place to handle delayed messages. But, I also want it so that it can recognize mail from the account it sends to as valid as well.

The big reason I'm avoiding actual mailboxes is to make it easier to integrate with people existing email as well as to scale easier & faster if OL takes off.

#9 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

As a woman of few words but lots of chat, I am all for the @ol.com thingy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users