• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

I would like to suggest that shop items (you know, the looks-only stuff) be made more useful.

Suggestion:
  • It should be possible to "combobulate" shop items with a stat item of the same type, i.e imbue the stats (including break rate, dropability, etc) into the shop item, sacrificing the stat item in the process.
  • This service should be free, and offered by NPCs which can repair items (currently Tankel).
  • "Decombobulation" is a possibility that can be discussed (so that the shop item may be combobulated with a new stat item), but it is my view that in this case the original stat item should not be returned as penalty.
  • If a player chooses to not combobulate their shop item with a stat item (i.e keep it statless) the statless shop item should be undroppable. (they paid a bunch for an otherwise useless and statless item, give 'em a break!)
Examples:
  • Player has a Mirror Cloak, purchases a Red Royal Cape from the plat store. Visits Tankel who is able combobulate them. Combobulation happens. Player ends up with a Red Royal Cape with stats that are identical to the Mirror Cloak. Player is happy!

• Player has an Iron Helm, purchases a Silver Crown from the plat store. Visits Tankel who is able to combobulate them. Combobulation happens. Player ends up with a Silver Crown with stats that are identical to the Iron Helm. Player is a little stupid and changes mind, returns to Tankel a short while later for decombobulation. Decombobulation happens. Player ends up with a statless Silver Crown which may be re-combobulated with another stat item at some point in the future.
Benefits:
  • It'd make the $$ items more useful.
  • Players who otherwise wouldn't want a statless item may be encouraged to buy shop items, generating more money for the game.
  • The player would still need to earn the "stat" item to be combobnified with the shop item, so we're not introducing any pay2win.
  • It'd give the game more variance.
Any thoughts?

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Only certain predefined combinations should be permitted. The OL item system only allows predefined types of items, plus it reduces confusion about what items have what stats.

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Tbh i had thought of skins that you could apply to your weapons (Get a skin item that replaces them when they break) things like that that would let you customise usable items with vanity cosmetics

The problem with doing this without keeping something to keep the item recognisable is it could be used to disguise certain items in PK, which would be unhelpful if we did at some point make PK a bit more strategic and interesting.

What i would say in terms of your mirror, is you would add the fur lining of to the black of the cloak.

In my mind I'm somewhat looking at the Team Fortress 2 "hat simulator" style method of cosmetics (however, what they equipment is is never truly obsfucated).

This also would require really someone with modelling and texturing skill to do well.

#4 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Very nice idea, I also agree with Butler's 'skin' idea. Have a look on steam with games like CSGO or PUBG or even Rust...
Skins like that but with out items would be awesome. Rare skin drops you could apply to your items, or buy certain ones from the shop. It would be a gc sink with players wanting to have all the 'cool' looking ones.
Just an added thought.

#5 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:46 AM

Doesn't really mean anything before having good gameplay.

Also having combination of items doesn't really work with the current system of storage and item list.

#6 Kurama

Kurama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

The issue with skins could be "easily" solved. All that would be necessary to do, is to make they "look" more useful.

What I mean is, when you would "look" at someone new window would appear (possibly make it Ctrl+"look" to avoid random missclicks) which would show players items and their stats.
Would be cool that this feature could be unlocked by doing some quest. :)

@Kura

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostKurama, on 04 September 2017 - 01:15 AM, said:

The issue with skins could be "easily" solved. All that would be necessary to do, is to make they "look" more useful.

What I mean is, when you would "look" at someone new window would appear (possibly make it Ctrl+"look" to avoid random missclicks) which would show players items and their stats.
Would be cool that this feature could be unlocked by doing some quest. :)

@Kura

Say the issue with seeing stats would be in PvP (if you look at how many people kept theirs under wraps in EL)

also with skins, it would be the same object model, it would just be a reskin, similiar to customs, with possible particle effects if you want to splash out. Just things to make it look more desirable, same as how the glowy swords are valued more for looks than use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users