OL Server TODO List

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am glad themunt brought up the point of raising some cash for the game. I have spoken to Learner about putting OL up on Kickstarter, which could bring the game quite some money, thus improving faster.

But the fact remains that this game has been up for almost a year now, and it's population was never high. Sure, one might say things like 'Rome was not built in a day' or 'the game is still not done', but realistically, what if it were? Nobody knows what the game - as a finite product - will look like, and that's the main thing that drives people away.

Reaching the soft cap is fairly easy in all skills, mainly due to the fact that ingredients for some crafting professions are not available after a point, thus one has to face an enforced cap. Also, recipes haven't been changed, items haven't been introduced(not enough anyway) and frankly speaking, the Pending Changes section of this forum has remained unchanged for 2 months, more or less.

I am certain things of equal or greater importance than magic are to be worked on, things that have been pointed out for months, but the major impediment is the relatively small workforce. People are starting to lose hope mainly because of this, so the best thing to do is trying to chip in and try to help Learner in any way you can. Sadly, not many know how to code, and the ones that do are working on things that aren't as important to the game.

In my mind, the game needs tons of work, starting off with a reviewal of the exp/cap chart, working on an item progression system, culminating with endgame content such as instances, raids, PvP and reworking the crafting professions, and then slowly altering those things as new skills are introduced. But the question still remains; even if we had all that, would people play? Would the game be appealing enough? Would it succeed in making things interesting enough for people to keep on playing?

#22 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Amen brother.

#23 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Keep at it Learner!

#24 Spelly

Spelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:11 AM

Well, game design is scarry for beginners. You have to have a lot of patience until you get started (come on, you can't even safely leave IP until 26 def, and it's hardly obvious to new players). Many probably loose their first armor and then say "to hell with it", getting another one has to wait until you have some manu levels, harv thousands of flowers for books and so on. I think there's a reason why many (most?) of us are former EL players... that has also the side-effect that things don't seem that complicated for us. Easy for me to think "I do 1k threads then I can move on to vials since I got the mold from Joker, how easy can that be" but it's hardly apparent to the new players. The nicest thing about the game, namely its item-making system, it's also its biggest downfall, severly limiting the player base to the ones who have the patience (and intelligenence) to understand and enjoy it.

This can be slightly improved, simple things like making the food bar up to say 100 instead of 45 (without altering how many food points things give/need) would ease a little bit having to switch from mixing to eating until you get the hang of it, as well as doing the low level items that are needed into tesn of thousands a bit easier.

Having clearer tab-maps would help beginners a lot (again, not much work needed, put BS maps for the ones that were not modified)... I do this anyway, and I've been around more than a few times and know where things are.

But don't expect crowds of players, people just ask (or check after a while) "how long ti'll I can fight one big dragon with each hand? oh, 2-3 years if ever? then I will switch to this game, you can do it there in 3 weeks".

Also don't expect economics to ever work, it's still easier to do things than buy them (if you have the patience). Change that on the other hand and put "shop only" signs for items or places and it will be just like every other "free" game out there...

Just my 2 cents...

#25 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:20 AM

Spelly, according to what you said, you can safely leave IP with def lower than 105.You can even leave IP with 9 def, DEPENDS where you go.
Also myself I would highly decrease cooldown on fruits/vegies to few seconds.

#26 Spelly

Spelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

Well, the only place you can go from IP is WS with its garg, so that's why I said 26 def. Not really a problem, the point is the same, every skill is a bit too hard to get going (cue: magic, how many hours untill you can kill your first mob with it? more like a month of dedication) most people don't have the patience to go over that.

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1930 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

There are very few gargs, plus they are active only at night. It is rare for someone leaving IP to be at risk.

#28 Makiltur

Makiltur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Speaking as one of the very few players who hasn't played EL, I don't find it any more complex to start out in than say, Tibia or WoW (somewhere in the nice area on a scale of Candy Crush Saga to Myst). Now that we have a working OL-wiki instead of just the EL-wiki (now THAT was confusing starting out), people who want to have the game explained to them instead of discovering it on their own have a place to read up. The in-game encyclopedia is also mentioned in the tutorial, and I used it extensively to figure out what the heck I was doing... I also talked to NPCs and read what they had to say about the world. The most basic skills (harvest, a/d, basic alchemy) are quite straightforward and included in the tutorial. More advanced skills come later (magic, other mixing) and are more complex.

I may be wrong here, but I believe a lot of players coming from EL don't really notice what all is explained in the tutorial and rather click through it and try to figure things out themselves. If someone is an experienced gamer (not just coming form EL) this generally isn't a problem either, as one realizes that mistakes will be made and knows to look at an encyclopedia or wiki if one needs help... not to mention the forum guides, some of which are right on the notes every time you log in.

That said, a more complete (and less broken) tutorial would definitely be helpful. Which areas are immediately accessible from the 'starting map' and the mobs on them will be something we think about when designing the new continent (s?). This is something that the entire community can also help with, thinking about placement of mobs on maps, maps in general and what all needs to be in the tutorial.
Don't you get a little adrenaline rush though trying to get by the few gargs in WS to get to the 'safe' DP?

I may be kind of the odd one out right now, but aren't we kind of trying to recruit more non-EL-converts anyways?

#29 AlddrA

AlddrA

• PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

As an EL'er, I am guilty of running through the tutorial just clicking each new page without reading because already been there, done that.  The OL wiki is a great help with the different aspects of the game.
Hats off to the effort that is being put into it.

The encyclopedia needs updating, a lot of it refers to EL, example....perks, none in OL, attributes, OL is X-attributes, nexus, they are lower in OL.  armour, again, lower in OL, etc...  Please don't get me wrong, not complaining, but it is an area that does need addressing for new players.

However, I am very happy with the changes that have been made and would be interested in learning a non-EL's opinion of the game.

#30 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostMakiltur, on 19 November 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

I may be kind of the odd one out right now, but aren't we kind of trying to recruit more non-EL-converts anyways?
In my opinion that's more important. Best way to build up the game to be bigger (how can we get bigger than a shrinking MMO if we're catching 1 or 2 people out of the 10s that leave?), and in all honesty, i distrust the judgment of vast swathes of the loud people in EL.

Getting people not from EL should be the priority. That means good game design instead of... whatever radu was trying.

View PostAlddrA, on 19 November 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

The encyclopedia needs updating, a lot of it refers to EL, example....perks, none in OL, attributes, OL is X-attributes, nexus, they are lower in OL.  armour, again, lower in OL, etc...  Please don't get me wrong, not complaining, but it is an area that does need addressing for new players.
Panda was updating it (but now is incredibly busy), and he left in some irrelevant parts for the same reason why Learners leaving some recipes in (with MONSTEROUS and impossibly requirement). It's so it's easier to edit it once we get a replacement system. Saves them putting all that back in, just needing to heavily modify it instead.

So encyclopedia is something you have to be VERY careful with, but generally what's in it on the parts that we use are mostly up to date

#31 Deathrus

Deathrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTolleson,AZ

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

Great Job Learner :)

#32 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Is this even updated?

#33 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

don't believe it was updated for 2 years, deathrus is just necroing threads atm

#34 Mixi

Mixi

Newbie Forever

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

However, the last post is about encyclopedia, and that is now completely updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users