8 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

Learner's spoken of creating a penalty for when you die, and yesterday we were speaking of how we could redesign UW. So here's my idea...

If someone could design a new UW, the size of WS maybe, with the parts of the map further away from the exit are increasingly more difficult to navigate. If you die below level 30(?) you spawn at the closest spawn to exit. After that if you die, you go to the 2nd closest spawn, taking you more time to escape. If you die consistently, you should spawn further and further back in the map, untill you are right at the back of the underworld, with a maze and caves to make it harder to navigate.

I would say each spawn should add about 20-30 seconds onto a base of 1 minute escape, and being capped off at 6-7 minutes, giving a 5/6 minutes leeway for recovering the db's. But, i reckon we should also have a hidden enemy somewhere out of the way, in a den at the back of the maze, that if defeated, can give you some sort of the use of the underworlder perk for half an hour (should be a nasty too).

This topic kind of goes hand in hand with scarrs "When You Die" topic, but i think this should consider UW remapping while the Spirit looking at his own corpse idea (which is awesome) should continue there.

#2 samson

samson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Really makes sense. Then you would take so long to get out of underworld your bag would get jumped or it would go poof. Nice way to make money off the noobs and discourage them even more. It is supposed to be fun guys. Why cant you understand that? Games are play for relaxation not a drudgery for bumping and grinding. When i come here after a days work i want to enjoy myself not start an endless job that i cant win.

Feel free to laugh this one off too?

#3 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

To me, dropping a bag upon dying is a penalty, and a pretty severe one.  It is extremely discouraging to have to work all over again for whatever it was that you dropped and lost.  I'd actually like to see it replaced with something less crippling/grind creating.

Something like what butler suggested, with it taking a long time to get out of the UW via mazes and caves, is interesting.  I'd hate to see both combined though.  To have to not only 'waste' time getting out of the UW, but to also have to spend time recovering what you lost in your DB is too discouraging, and not fun, like sampson said.

The idea of newer players not spawning as far into hell as established players is one that I think should be considered, even if nothing else about dying changes.  It's one of those little things that make it not so crappy to be a new player learning the game without being just a total handout to get them going.  There are lots of things like this that can happen to make a better game for new players without making it too easy for them or too boring for established players.  One other thing that comes to mind is making it less traumatic for them to die in terms of what they can or can't drop and who can or can't attack them.  But that is a whole other forum topic probably.

Some suggestions off the top of my head for things that are penalty-esque, but not so discouraging that you are afraid to die, or don't want to play anymore after you do die:

-Having to manually navigate out of a large UW (map walk disabled, possibly no map available for the UW) <--- this is only a serious suggestion when coupled with the idea that you wouldn't drop a DB anymore.

-Having to pay some sort of fee to be let out of the UW.  Fee to be taken direct from your sto, in case you have empty pockets (perhaps no fee for new players)

-Having to fight a level, attribute, and equipment based foe to get out

-Having to answer a riddle, or just a researchable question to get out.  We do play on the interwebz after all, why can't the game make us a little smarter? (answer me these questions 3)

-Having to go find a certain object or do a certain task to get out

I'll add more if I think of any.

#4 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postbutler, on 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Learner's spoken of creating a penalty for when you die, and yesterday we were speaking of how we could redesign UW. So here's my idea...

If someone could design a new UW, the size of WS maybe, with the parts of the map further away from the exit are increasingly more difficult to navigate. If you die below level 30(?) you spawn at the closest spawn to exit. After that if you die, you go to the 2nd closest spawn, taking you more time to escape. If you die consistently, you should spawn further and further back in the map, untill you are right at the back of the underworld, with a maze and caves to make it harder to navigate.

I would say each spawn should add about 20-30 seconds onto a base of 1 minute escape, and being capped off at 6-7 minutes, giving a 5/6 minutes leeway for recovering the db's. But, i recogn we should also have a hidden enemy somewhere out of the way, in a den at the back of the maze, that if defeated, can give you some sort of the use of the underworlder perk for half an hour (should be a nasty too).

This topic kind of goes hand in hand with scarrs "When You Die" topic, but i think this should consider UW remapping while the Spirit looking at his own corpse idea (which is awesome) should continue there.

Imho, a neat idea. Particularly like the idea of the challenge involved in fighting your way out of the u/w getting greater the more often you die.

#5 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

One, i did say that lower levels should spawn near the entrance for a quick escape. Also, Fun comes from a challenge, but a calculated one. I still love the fact you think im not thinking of newbs, as i spent 2 years trying to encourage newbs in EL and nearly got banned for ranting at radu about it.

I was thinking of a gradient, and i know depending where you die, its already fairly tough. But i do really like novas idea for payment out of hell. Why not add the river Styx, and you need to pay the ferry man? Get some nice references in and make it the seperation from the high level zone ( i mean the level 70s/80s +). Mazes where a thought more for the labyrinth of the monster you can kill in hell. I thought caves as a way to stop clicking far ahead in the map.

googling i dont think should be rewarded, personally. We do thrive on running on low end machines and personally, my lowest spec one that run OL just doesnt work well with several programs using internet.

The object thing has been used in C2 UW, and can be really irritating, and once found out, far to easily to navigate.

#6 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

For the object or task idea, I had envisioned something like a quest NPC that changes what it wants you to do each time you talk to it.  Maybe make it so that the NPC is in a specific part of the UW that you only sometimes get sent to.  Actually, it would be interesting to see an UW divided into multiple sections and each section has some sort of specific challenge to get through.  Each time you die there is a random chance to get sent to any of the sections.

#7 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostNova, on 05 November 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

For the object or task idea, I had envisioned something like a quest NPC that changes what it wants you to do each time you talk to it.  Maybe make it so that the NPC is in a specific part of the UW that you only sometimes get sent to.  Actually, it would be interesting to see an UW divided into multiple sections and each section has some sort of specific challenge to get through.  Each time you die there is a random chance to get sent to any of the sections.

The NPC idea is really neat. Maybe we could have one that moves around so that part of the challenge is to find it ?

Would be awesome cool to have a 'get out of u/w stone' that peeps could carry and which would let them bypass the tests.

#8 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

I've heard of games where the NPCs move.  If it is in a confined area then finding it shouldn't be too much of a pain or too boring and the quests it gives would be small ones anyway, so it probably wouldn't take too much time, in terms of how long you spend in the underworld, either.  The 'get out of the U/W free' stone sounds like a pretty good shop item to me.  Worth buying, but doesn't give a ridiculous or really unfair advantage.

#9 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

Runescape and most MU*s have moving NPCs, and restricted roaming adds realism. I like the idea.

Each section should have specific challenges, and various sub sections for each category of player levels.
the NPC should be called the Ferryman, so that you can get to the each section, by paying him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: die, underworld, death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users