95 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ok starting this map, got the general idea and a few pics from the first version that was bugged with so many artefacts that Indiana Jones would have difficulty carrying them out. Im just posting those so i can get feedback on the idea and so people can get an idea of what im working on. But now comes the text bit of what i want the map to generally be, feel like, and what i generally want to do with insides and lore after i got this out of the way.

The basic idea is to make an island patriciany like medieval Venice. As to complete that, im going to build a small increase in heigh of ground up to a palace (for the patrician). Their will also be a guild district, a large market district, an outer tertiary port, a large primary port near the heart of the city, and a secondary port near the market. This will probably lend it to being excellent as a branch to any other maps being made once we fill up Raven & WS secondary ports. It also contains some slums and will contain a variety of housing. The general feel is a slightly richer area to WSC but not going to the flamboyancy of w/e that C2 Elven city was. Not Arius but the other one south of Idaloran. It will contain many houses that are open for shop reasons, Guild hangouts ( will sort that out later, would be unnamed thing unless a vote is done or something. just a varietry of houses for say a mixers, fighters, assassins, thieves, harvesters and magicians. smeg like that) and a large multi terrace cave system (similiar to votd 1st/2nd/temple cave system) that will go for an inside dungeon with shops etc. Possibly the dwarven underground city below the human surface city. Will involve some tricks with some similiar "work it out via trial and error" that TG magic school has and some guildmaps.

The whole principle is based of a MUD (player made) map, with the same structure and name. I'm doing this because i like the concept, its my probably my favourite game map, that i think it will work really well in 3D as well as i think i can improve it and add more of the great trips it played.

Anyway the first area of the map (only bit thats complete till i get into the very small touches/harvestable/etc.):
Posted Image

Here are basically the concept from the broke version. Ty Scarr/L for the help in explaining problems with it. Just use this as an idea of what im going to do:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The burning boat inside im hoping to make PK on final version. probably
The general port system and water edge will be kept in that vein
Guild District is by the towers, down the street from the burning wreck.
stalls/market area will probably be located across the map. Might combine secondary/primary ports.

Feedback por favor.

#2 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

yo man, be careful with many items in one place, cuz it might make the map lag like hell. Like check the size of map(it kilobytes) and try to match that of PL, whilst also try to maintain a balanced scenery(don't stuff loads of stuff in one place because that will make that area lag like hell)

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Too many lights in an area is something that can also lag people a lot as well, so watch the light density.

#4 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

yeah, will do so. wasnt sure about lights on front of the boats/amount at the booth, so will probably scale those back and come up with another distribution. will probably change lighting of slum to an open bonfire later as well. things like lighting/particles im going change a bit as the map goes and most of 2D effects will go in last.

ty hades for advice on map size.

also, is the light distribution in the broken map (last 4 screenies) too much or ok? Also i was delibrately careful on the amount of fire on the ship (and will be with new version, probably wont use the smoke though), and not sure if i should put less lighting stress around their on the remake?

I think the current ship spot/slum is fine object wise w/o lighting though, correct me if wrong.

#5 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Cool that you started maping.Should be nice I think,keep posting about progress :)

#6 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Yup, nice map Butler. I like the Venician concept and am intrigued by the Patrician background. Speaking purely as someone who enjoys maps (rather than makes them), its cool to have a convincing and detailed backstory that creates a wider context for the visual elements.

Do you have a name yet for the town ?

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

not sure for the main towns name yet. Was thinking itll probably be a palendrome, much like narahlik.

#8 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

may i suggest swagcity or #yolotown (with the hashtag)

jk

looks nice m8.. keep up ze good work

#9 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Once you get it far enough along I can start making it available for you on the test server. I'll need coords for you to arrive at as part of that setup.

#10 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

you can obtain the coordinates when you are in height mapping mode, you will see it bottom left.
thats all you really need for it to go live

#11 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

View Postscarr, on 28 February 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

may i suggest swagcity or #yolotown (with the hashtag)

jk

looks nice m8.. keep up ze good work
for a wee while i thought of Munty Carlo. But then i remembered he's a lawyer.
did a little revision of slum/port authority:
  • Reduced Light Sources to a light house/slum fire/authorities booth.
  • Added Campfire (slum fire) with a cooking fish, some plates/booze/mugs. Involved an extra section of sand.
  • Adjusted a sunken slum so it wasnt lined up with the rest.
  • Adjusted a sunken slum so it wasnt parrallel to the port quite as much.
  • Removed 5 Lantern models
  • Added Light House building on some of the rocks
and started town with the extended rock floor like in the original but adding:
  • Pillars with two "wingmen" on them.
  • Customs & Revenue building (yay taxt)
  • lowered bridge
So heres the slightly editted port then:
Posted Image
Posted Image

think this is better with number of models (should be the same or less as before) and greatly reduced lighting for lag issues. No 2D effects added yet, will go in when finishing the "feel" of the map at the end.

View PostLearner, on 28 February 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Once you get it far enough along I can start making it available for you on the test server. I'll need coords for you to arrive at as part of that setup.
I think ill try an get the main island shape and entrance to the island sorted. with defensive walls installed. Just got the little slum/port authority done :D

View Postscarr, on 28 February 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

you can obtain the coordinates when you are in height mapping mode, you will see it bottom left.
thats all you really need for it to go live
good too know.

#12 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Little Update

Slums & Port Authority

• Some missed walkable tiles on the ship near the lighthouse fixed.

Central Port

• Added areas basic shape to the east
  • Added 3 basic 2 ship piers with decorated edges.
  • Added Monk statue and two towers over the bridge entrance.
  • Added Parallel stairs to first raised section of the city.
  • Increased the definition/distance of the north western coast.
  • Added defensive sea walls to the citadel.

Burning Boat, Guild District and the extreme north of the map.

• Added breach in the wall with rubble.
  • Changed the ship that breached to North Redmoon model.
  • Added fire B)
  • Surrounding path tiles laid down
  • coast/walls extended down to connect with port area.
  • Guild houses area designated (not build yet). will be parallel to the wall instead of adjacent.
Most of it hasn't been rendered walkable (will do that next time i work on it, wanted to get 2 more of the 4 staples of the last map in.)
Here are pics to get the idea of it.

Central Port (prior to towers)
Posted Image
Central Port (post towers)
Posted Image
Burning Boat & Wall Breach (Prior Fire)
Posted Image
Burning Boat & Wall Breach (Post Fire)
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have a little backstory thought up for the Burning Boat & Wall Breach, but i think ill try and write a proper version of it further into the map. Got to Love teh Lore.

Also with the boat, it NEEDs 3 fires. 1 doesnt give the correct impression, 2 would be ok except for its artistic values is decisively small, and doesnt make it as interesting as an uneven number (teh learned artists can back me up with this.) and 3 creates a very effective impact of what i desire. Also adding corpses to it could, but atm i cba doing that :P

EDIT: Erm, replacing pics. stuff went wrong :S

#13 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

make sure to test your map once you got a bit, its a shame if it would be too laggy.. which is the case of my new map i began.. :<

#14 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

yeah, i think ill just add walkable tiles, put a few buildings + boat at main port, and just the guild houses and lamposts, then give to L with coords for testing. I suspect that the burning boat with the new array of weapons implanted in its wood will be a bit of a lag hotspot now :<. but i think ill try and make the area around it "soft" on the CPU when adding guild section to see if that helps it run nice.

also toggling around with dirt and rubble to try and minamilise it. think ill heavily reduce the weaps with further thinking now.

#15 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

this is what i had, made those houses from scratch with 3d tiles, but apparently it lags too much, kinda dissapointed in the engine, i like to put lots of small detail in my work, otherwise it isn't fun for me and i can't be bothered to map!

Posted Image

so don't put as many models as i have, and you be fine i guess :<

#16 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

The number of models, the number of models with transparency, and the number of lights all affect the FPS.I would suggest first checking how many of the models are using transparency ... something you used a lot that has transparency could be a killer by itself.

#17 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

i think mines softer than that.

And god i love those buildings lol. saloons.

Made we want to start making a half constructed clock tower in the centre of the map.

hmmm, i should make half way up it another pk area
i think too much on pk areas.

#18 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostLearner, on 04 March 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

The number of models, the number of models with transparency, and the number of lights all affect the FPS.I would suggest first checking how many of the models are using transparency ... something you used a lot that has transparency could be a killer by itself.
yeah but they are only transparant from the inside of the houses, would figure it would be less resources since they are really thin walls :/

#19 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

View Postscarr, on 04 March 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostLearner, on 04 March 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

yeah but they are only transparant from the inside of the houses, would figure it would be less resources since they are really thin walls :/
Still rendering the transparency i imagine of the backwall even though you dont see it. And then its rendering everything thats partly obscured, so theirs alot of wasted information.

What would be really nice is to have some of the tools in the mapmaker expanded and have more "building parts" that contain only specific parts of the model so its easier just to construct and original building. Eventually the 2 city buildings we've got it rather repetitive.

but i imagine mapmaker is closed source (?)

#20 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 1991 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

The map editor is open source, the 3D Objects are created using specific versions of Blender (free) with Python add on modules for E3D (specific versions because they would need updating).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users