•  

Perk system

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: How should Perks be awarded? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we use PP's or one perk every X OA levels (X is TBD)

1. Yes, lets allow one perk to be chosen for every X OA levels (119 votes [78.29%])

Percentage of vote: 78.29%

2. I don't know (3 votes [1.97%])

Percentage of vote: 1.97%

3. No, lets continue to use PP's so you have to choose where to use it. (21 votes [13.82%])

Percentage of vote: 13.82%

4. Other (see comment below) (9 votes [5.92%])

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

If it's 1 Perk for every X OA levels, what might be a good value for X?

1. More then 10 OA levels (24 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. 1 PerkPoint every 10 OA (62 votes [40.79%])

Percentage of vote: 40.79%

3. 1 PerkPoint every 8 OA (5 votes [3.29%])

Percentage of vote: 3.29%

4. 1 PerkPoint every 6 OA (6 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. 1 PerkPoint every 5 OA (35 votes [23.03%])

Percentage of vote: 23.03%

6. I don't know (9 votes [5.92%])

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

7. Other (11 votes [7.24%])

Percentage of vote: 7.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

Was wondering about these perks, that system have to be good as its quite important for game..

#82 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

exp perks are kinda OP, since you can just max them and then soft reset

#83 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostFire, on 26 April 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

That idea with exp perk is not so bad,maybe to lvl 90 its easy,but honestly with current system I believe noone will hit 105 lvl ,atleast no in next 15 years,if nothing will be changed
15 years is a bit excessive. And i think the point of splitting off from EL was so we can change things? anything that boosts exp gives a significant advantage, because even 10 exp more per item gives a very large advantage with the current "grinding" system, where the need to create 10's of thousands of an item will mean that 10 extra exp over the 10k will give you an additional 100k exp, which could be a lot of items worth of ingredients. Really, i think exp perks should wait till we've reformed most/all skills so that we can see if it viable then.

#84 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I liked the paradigm of 'splitting off from EL', although I guess it prolly means different things to different peeps. Ofc, being summarily banished for all kinds of unspeakable abuses didn't really provide me with much choice in the matter. However, OL makes a warm and cozy burrow that i'm pleased to call home and, like any proud home-owner, its difficult to resist the temptation to regularly weed the borders, brush the patio and use the steam cleaner on those tedious mossy patches that sometimes adhere to the paintwork. Even as a once notorious troll and award winning troublemaker, it's difficult to resist the inclination to be houseproud and to flounce around the place in my augmented leather apron with a little fluffy duster tied to the end of my pick axe.

And i'll admit to enjoying telling teh shiny new young peeps of OL the old stories from way before they were prolly born, when teh forumz and chans regularly ran red with the blood of weenies, Eltards, plus the occasional EL mod who lost its way and wandered a bit too far from home. Those were teh happy days of my 'yoof' which, I now fondly remember whilst sitting here on the veranda of my twilight years with my catheter bag nearly full.

Where is Nova when you need her ?

#85 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

By my opinion, these perks ideas are not too bad, but still too archaic and simple.
I would mix stuff and bring some relationships between perks, some dependences etc

Anyone who played League of Legends for example, can see how good some systems in mmorpg can be, even we don't have 100k players online, does not mean we can't build something uncommon that will bring us new players.
LoL is like dota, till you get bored and try all possibilities that you are able to enjoy ingame, you get old.OL/El are pretty simple and maybe even a bit petty, I still wonder how they have that much players online.

#86 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

sounds interesting Fire, got some examples? i don't play League of Legends, or some ideas you think are good for possible perks?

#87 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

liking it +1, except one aspect,

Careful Mixer (alternate) 3 - 2 pp - No tools break while mixing.
Careful Harvester 3 - 2 pp - No tool breakage while harvesting.

maybe do a 90% for Careful Mixer (alternate) 3 , else vial molds won't break and I think that would be bad for economy for it helps reduce efe's in game, would have a small percent of still loosing, even at 90 or 95% added to the chances in game, should be able to get well over a profit when making vials before breakage.

and the Careful Harvester 3 maybe have ratios be 50%, 75%, 95%, or there would be no market for harvest meds

#88 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Never make anything 100% imo.

#89 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

Making perk points per so many oa levels is pretty much the same as the old system. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the old system was saving up so many oa to get the perk I wanted. If I was already high oa, it was that much harder to get it.

So if it were 1 perkpoint per 5 oa for example, that's exactly the same as waiting 5 oa for a perk that costs 10pp. Why would we need the change?

Perhaps it would be easier to have a new definition for perk costs this way, but I really like the old way. Perks were basically rated out of 10 and that's how much it would cost to get it.

There's my opinion on this. What the new Perks should be is still highly debatable, but I like the ideas in this conversation.

#90 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

The difference between using dual purpose pick points and having separate perk points is that players wouldn't have to choose whether to increase attributes/nexus/perks... essentially everyone would get perks.

I'm not endorsing either way, just trying to help clarify.  I don't have much of an opinion on this one.  I got many perks in EL, but I'm frankly ok without them here.

#91 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

Oh that makes sense I guess. Well I don't know. In that case, we're either voting for extra points for perk buying, or no extra points and have to choose... I guess I didn't understand that the first time.

In that case, I totally want it. But per 10oa seems really low if they are the same kinds of perks cost wise. It's kind of a mixed bag of how is this actually going to work, but first I'd say we should agree on whether to add perk points as a thing.

#92 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

I like having perks separate from pp used for attribute/ nexus for a few reasons.

1. You are limited in how many pp you can sink into perks (if perks were added similar to EL we would likely need to increase pp/oa as well...which at this point in the game would really hirt game balance imo).

2. Another way to customize your character. If you want to go all in mixer, or fighter or some split you can use perks to hep you find the right build/balance for you.

3. Limitting the number of perks a player can take allows us to increase the strength of all perks in general without letting people become OP by sinking all their oa pp into perks. In example, imagine a pure mixer taking all of the mixng perks I listed in my post?

#93 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

I agree perk points separate from pick points good idea, or choose a perk or new level of perk after x oa's.

the layout Achilles suggested, and open for opinion, if 1 perk point per 10 oa's. at level 80 you could max out 2 of those categories, level 120 would be needed for a third to be maxed,

if every 8 oa's you get a perk point, you could max 3 at 96, and a little extra play if you choose to go higher. 15 perk points at 120.

Either way, I believe we should express opinion and fine tune possible perks and categories, and then choose the frequency of points,  to ensure nothing to OP and leave a style of variety. ^_^

#94 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:55 AM

I'm just not sure I'd like all the perks to be boosts. After playing a lot of D&D, I just see it as kind of power gaming to have those. I'd rather have cool little utility abilities. The attributes are already for boosting.

#95 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 20 February 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

I'm just not sure I'd like all the perks to be boosts. After playing a lot of D&D, I just see it as kind of power gaming to have those. I'd rather have cool little utility abilities. The attributes are already for boosting.
I agree.  It would be great to have perks give characters interesting abilities that they otherwise wouldn't get, and not buff their primary abilities. I think EL perks like these exemplify what I mean: I eat dead people (eat bones), Ethereal Ranger (use fewer arrows), The Underworlder (able to TPR from the underworld).

I think perks to increase mana, carry capacity, etc are redundant to increasing attributes, so I think we should omit those.  Those would include the exp bonus ones, as that is part of rationality or worshiping a god.

If we want to make Perk Points a different thing from Pick Points, then let's really make them different.  If we use Perks to buff what we are already doing in attributes, then we are really just making Perk Points "Super Pick Points."

I'd much rather see us put some creative thought into other sorts of one off abilities that would be cool and could be used creatively - different from I'm stronger, tougher, have more mana etc.  Examples beyond those I mentioned above might include:
  • "Pick Pocket" - upon successfully disengaging (ring or fleeing) from a fight, acquire 1 drop item from the opponent (includes PK)
  • "Running Man" - able to run, cf speed hax, for a period of time (1 min?) with a long cool down - like 15 min?
  • "Self Distruct" - when you die, all int he area get x damage (this was in EL)
  • "magic recycler" - when casting a spell, a chance to not use the essences
  • "medicine man" - when being hit in battle, a small chance to heal 10 hp automatically (not use a HE)
  • "shaman" - when in battle, a small chance to remote heal on another player in the area (not use HE) - I don't have this one all worked out but it seems like it would be neat.
Those are just some of the sort of thing I'd like to see, but surely there are others we can brainstorm.

If, on the other hand, we do go with attribute buffering perks as has been suggested on page 4 of this topic, I think the associated %s need to be much lower than listed.  Ppl will very quickly be OP.

#96 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

I like your perk examples, very nice.Hoever, some of your ones should be rather in wearable stuff, like special effects.Perk by my opinion is something else.
If we are on this stage, I want post my examples, maybe we can use some of them or edit or whatever.

Shiftless Inhabitant
If you have this perk, invasion creatures  follow you by longer distance (lets say 6 tiles) till they kill you.
You get +3 defence while fighting with 8 invaded monsters, but -3 attack.

Bloody Fetish
If your opponent dissed away from combat, and you hit him 50% or more his life points in total, you will auto follow and attack it.Does not work to animals and monsters (these can't flee or diss in OL yet anyway)

Reliable Intellect
Whatever you cast (spells), you have 15% chance to save all mana points needed for each spell.
Note: on PK maps its only 8%

Agile Fugitive
While having this perk, your flee chance is increased by 10%, and 25% chance to reset cooldown on healing/mana potions after successfull flee.

something like this, please dont say its OP ...

#97 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

Very creative Fire.  I think our ideas are of the same ilk, frankly - the kinds of things I'd like to see for perks.

About your specific ideas, I like a chance to cast spells and not use mana (%age to be determined).  I also like an increased chance to flee perk. Not sure about the shiftless inhabitant (though I love the name).  Bloody Fetish - hum, I'd be hesitant to make a perk that would help a PKer track down other players trying to get away.  By definition the attacker already has the upper hand, seems a little harsh to the "victim."

Your idea did make me thing of another though: Subtle Stalker - gives the ability to "follow" another player (outside of PK areas). Although I could see that could be annoying if you didn't want to be followed... I dunno.

#98 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Or add a /follow system as its own thing :P

#99 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

I think that a follow feature should be limited to to members of a party once a real party system is implemented.

#100 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Yes, I agree to what Learner said.
Follow feature should be own subject and normal ability for everyone, like trade etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users