Map Editor?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

What is the map editor link(s) Or the best one? It can help if someone with experience could also give me tips before using it!!! Thanks!!

#2 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hi EAL, there is a (one) map editor.  It is a bit complex and non intuitive.  I, or one of the other map makers, can touch base with you...  There is help out there.  Thanks for showing interest!

#3 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Alright! Well atm I am at school on my school PC that can't download anything to - so when I get home will you please help me get all that?

#4 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

EATS, there are forum posts that may help you with that

#5 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

You guys don't have to Capitalize it all, just put the "E" Or whatever lol, but alright, I'll keep that to mind also.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Coordinate Continent Overview
Want to make maps?
Def making guide

Please search the forums for these things... these were high up in the sub forum as well. Not a hard find.

Please do not make full sized maps without consulting me and/or makiltur first, since we're trying to coordinate the development.
Please take note that one map takes a hell of a lot of time.
You'll have to work with people on neighbouring maps.
You'll have to take consideration of RP, the neighbouring maps and the world history.
You'll need to stick to map outlines that are set by the overview map.
You should probably have a decent plan before diving in. As can be seen from my map, there are issues when you don't.
EVERY map is PL sized.
Think about playability and not just what will be "cool."

You will need to be careful with the amount of lighting and objects you put in one place.
I am willing to go over it with you if you want. but those links are worth looking at. But I fully understand most people would rather deal with Winter or Makiltur for this.

#7 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

Agreed (with Butler).  The first place to start is find the posts about downloading etc.  Be able to get into the map maker and poke around.  Then I think you can have a meaningful discussion with other map making folks. But.... don't have any illusions that you'll crank out a playable map in a couple hours... or days... or weeks.

If you end up liking it and want to contribute to the game in that way, then you'll need to coordinate with the rest of the content dev effort, as Butler notes.  In that case, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

#8 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:31 PM

I need to be able to get in to the map maker, how do I do so (I have everything installed and extracted)

#9 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:34 AM

in the other-life folder (under program files in windows, or ol-linux in your home folder in linux) there should be the file mapeditor.exe.  run that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users