11 replies to this topic

#1 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

I was just sitting there mixing magic essence when a wild thought flew through my mind.

What if once you reach a certain harvest level, some harvestables don't require a certain nexus to harvest?

For example:
Iron Ore requires an Inorganic nexus of 2. That holds true, until you reach a certain harvest level which is [X]. Once you reach [X], the required Inorganic nexus is then lowered to 1. Once you reach the next [X], then Iron Ore requires no Inorganic to harvest.

I would like this to apply to all harvestables that require Inorganic nexus to harvest.

In theory, if you level your Harvest high enough, would you think since harvesting for so long and levelling it so high, that it would become easier to harvest? Just like the 'less fails system' the higher your harvest level is?

On another idea, we could elaborate on the Achievements system where once you harvest [X] amount of a resource, the required Inorganic is lowered by 1.
Of course, that would mean a huge overhaul of new achievements being released and with some harvestables having more achievements than others.

If this were to happen, it could reach out to other skills that require nexus like:
Animal - Summoning
Vegetal - Potions
Artifical - Manufacturing
Magic - Manufacturing/Crafting

This could bring a big improvement, giving players a much broader approach to how they play and to get everybody more involved with everything.

Discuss

EDIT: I still want to keep books of knowledge in order to harvest/make items/materials obviously.

Edited by CoduX, 22 May 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#2 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

Hi Codux, in one way I kinda like where you're going with this.  The over-arching gist I'm getting from your post sounds like you would like to get more from your nexuses... Are you thinking that you would remove nexuses eventually (removal stone/reset), and use them elsewhere, or are you just thinking that as you go up in levels you will be able to harv new, harder things without getting more nexuses?  I guess either way it means the same thing - you need fewer of them.

Personally, as a player, I've never really liked nexuses, they get in the way... but then again, that's what they are for.  The purpose is for a player to have to choose to do one thing or another and not be masters of everything.

So... it sounds like you would like to move more in the direction of more freely being able to master multiple things (fewer nexuses/PPs required to do stuff), which defeats (or reduces) the purpose of having Nexuses.  Is that what we want for the game?

#3 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:58 AM

View Postwinter, on 22 May 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Hi Codux, in one way I kinda like where you're going with this.  The over-arching gist I'm getting from your post sounds like you would like to get more from your nexuses... Are you thinking that you would remove nexuses eventually (removal stone/reset), and use them elsewhere, or are you just thinking that as you go up in levels you will be able to harv new, harder things without getting more nexuses?
This

View Postwinter, on 22 May 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

I guess either way it means the same thing - you need fewer of them.

Personally, as a player, I've never really liked nexuses, they get in the way... but then again, that's what they are for.  The purpose is for a player to have to choose to do one thing or another and not be masters of everything.

So... it sounds like you would like to move more in the direction of more freely being able to master multiple things (fewer nexuses/PPs required to do stuff), which defeats (or reduces) the purpose of having Nexuses.  Is that what we want for the game?
The end factor is that once you take the initial nexus to harvest or craft an item and build it up to where the required nexus is not needed, you can then have the opportunity to remove them and relocate those PP's elsewhere to your choosing, freeing up some room.
Basically doing the long and dirty work, but in the long run you get rewarded.
I kinda see this as a possible end-game gimmick or once you've done everything and are bored (as a lot of people are atm) for something to do, a long-term sort of thing to achieve.

Also, can you tell me why you disagree with this idea Alddra? I would love to hear all opinions :)

#4 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hm, yes, so we return to a theme common to many recent topics/posts... the game is currently boring for a number of people - what can we do to make it more interesting for them, now.....  I'll refrain from boring people further by restating the things I've said in those other topics... which should be a great relief to everyone.

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

erm...

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2911 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

Since we don't have character classes in OL, the balance of PP assignment to Attrs & Nexuses is how you balance your character for how little or how much you can do. A change that removes that significantly means major changes to how things are balanced including at a minimum reducing the number of PP's available and possibly adding other factors & restrictions in order to keep good game balance and prevent adding more boring.

#7 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

The nexuses to do certain things have already been reduced, (of course this is due to lower armour and weapons in game).   True the OA cap and skills cap is lower than EL also., but the pps gained with the levels are enough to compensate for the caps.  Also the soft reset is also a big plus and allows for different builds anytime we want to try something different.

I do not think we need a further reductions in nexuses, they are fine the way they are. :P

#8 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

*cough* If I had it my way, there would be a limit on PP you can spend on Nexus, so you have to build into something. That would make characters unique and rely on others to do stuff. There would be blacksmiths, Potioners, fighters, tailors, etc, rather than just fighter/mixer/both.

So... I do like your idea, CoduX, if we had a system like the above. You'd prove your proficiency and then you could remove the nexus and practice something else. The most dedicated players would be multiple classes, and newbies would have to choose.

#9 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 24 May 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

*cough* If I had it my way, there would be a limit on PP you can spend on Nexus, so you have to build into something. That would make characters unique and rely on others to do stuff. There would be blacksmiths, Potioners, fighters, tailors, etc, rather than just fighter/mixer/both.

So... I do like your idea, CoduX, if we had a system like the above. You'd prove your proficiency and then you could remove the nexus and practice something else. The most dedicated players would be multiple classes, and newbies would have to choose.
Now this I like.
Everybody just take a minute to look at our current state of game.
How many pure mixers do we have? A handful.
How many pure fighters do we have? A handful.
How many players are mixed with both mixing and fighting? Like 90%

Nobody hardly sells anything anymore as everybody does it themselves. The economy is slowly collapsing.

I like what you proposed though kiwi, would allow more trading and up the current level of economy for mixers and fighters

#10 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hm, not sure how that would work.  The idea presented here would only allow for people to be able to do more things... which would defeat the concept of trading.

I, for example, have been trying to figure out where to go next.  I'm a decent potter and I have most of the human nexus' I need... but do I want to manu and craft? Do I want to do summoning?  It's the nexuses that are the "stumbling block" for me.  But... in reality what that means is that I need to rely upon other folks to make things and I'll have to buy them.  I don't LIKE buying vials, but I have to.  I don't LIKE buying diss rings, but I have to.  I don't like buying swords and armor, but I have to... because I can't make them myself.  Nexuses (and amount of time I play, sure) are part of that equation.  And, as much as I would like to make everything for myself, that would not be good for the game...

So I rest easily knowing that because I need to buy things, that's good for the game.  So, for now, I'll continue making potions and mixing essences and casting, and ranging and fighting.... and BUYING.

#11 Boromir

Boromir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

I had a sugestion that was almost in same direction but a bit more easy to keep ballance. I think Nexus should be earned by Skill levels instead overall levels:

each X (maybe 10 cause its emblematic) levels of skills giving u nexus like:

By harvesting u earn Inorganic nexus (in that way u should be ok to harvest titanium at harvest level 50)
By mixing Potions u earn Vegetal nexus
By mixing manu/craft u earn Artificial nexus
Alchemy and spells could give u magic nexus
Summoning -> animal ..
Fighting (a/d) u earn Human level (see that u should have level 30 att and 30 def to get human nexus 6

i dont really think that would unbalance the game ..  but i understand if maybe needs removing some PPs from overalls ...

#12 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Only 30?

Ill tell you what.

2 tbsp.
extra-virgin olive oil

large onion, chopped

carrots, chopped

stalks celery, minced

1/2 tsp.
chilli powder

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

(400g. )can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

cloves garlic, crushed

1 tsp.
thyme leaves

1 l
low-salt chicken (or vegetable) stock

500 ml
water

1/2
large head cabbage, chopped

(400g.) can chopped tomatoes

Pinch chilli flakes

2 tbsp.
freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish

• In a large pot (or casserole dish) over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and season with salt, pepper, and chilli powder. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in beans, garlic, and thyme and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add stock and water, and bring to a simmer.
  • Stir in tomatoes and cabbage and simmer until cabbage is wilted, about 6 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and stir in chilli flakes, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with more parsley, if using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users