• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

At times in the past people have come up with priority lists for game development.  There is the server to-do list (http://www.other-lif...rver-todo-list/), and there is this topic: (http://www.other-lif...ities#entry6290).

which has a whole bunch of ideas, but ends up outlining 4 things:
  • Magic
  • Ranging
  • Monsters flexibility
  • Monster Drops flexibility
this was as of February 2013. I've heard tell of another list that Butler put together, but I'm having trouble finding it (without putting a lot of time into the search, granted)

I think it's now a good time to take a look at where we are and figure out where we are heading.  This is not intended to be MY list and it is off the top of my head, so please contribute or correct where necessary.

Current state of development:
  • The magic redo is moving along and we will hopefully see the results of it soon
  • much work is being put into making new maps
  • much work is being put into creating story lines and quests
  • work has been done (Achi, help me out here) on instances
  • L, other stuff? moving down the list of server changes, as in the above link?
Moving ahead - priorities
(ok, we'll start with priorities as I see them, cuz I'm writing this, and we can massage the list as we go).  Note, these priorities as I will first lay them out center on major areas of increasing playability, and scope (ie Fun) of the game, with an eye towards bang for the buck (cost/benefit)... which I understand may not necessarily be everyone's primary goals??

For Game Mechanics:
  • finish magic
  • finish/update instance system
  • do/update the method for defining/coding quests. This is important since the content dev folks are actively working on new stuff and currently have no method of coding this content.
  • create a system for gambits (sort of a combination of instances and quests). Perhaps with instances in place, this will fall in place too??  This is also important for the development of the content in the new areas.
  • ranging redo
For Content Development:
  • new maps
  • new instances
  • new story lines
  • new quests/gambits (requires game mechanics changes)
  • redo meshes/graphics
There are MANY MANY other things I would love to see done, but the reality is that we need to focus.  Once a couple of these are in place, I think we can reconnoiter and add the next few priorities.

Please respond with any other input you have, other stuff, disagreements, agreements, or otherwise.

#2 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

You already know my 2 cents, instances should be top priority. But hey ho nothing will happen

#3 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

I think drop the magic rework for now, move onto instances/perk system :D XD :) once thats done, then go back to magic

#4 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

WL, wondering why you -1'd my post?  I'm not taking offense, but this topic was to open a discussion, which you have joined, which is good. The purpose here (which I tried to make clear), is for the community to come up with priorities.  To get started, I listed them as I saw them, but I fully expect there to be changes.  I'm not likely to personally use instances, so that one wouldn't even be on my personal list at all, but I know it would help broaden the general appeal of the game, so I listed it here.

Your opinions on this are as valid as anyone's.  I'm just curious if you meant that you didn't want a priority list at all, or you didn't like what I put for the initial list, or something else?

Anyway, if I offended you in any way, my apologies.

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:26 PM

My opinion in order of what I feel should be priority:
- Finish magic system off
- Instance system
- Creature drops/locations
- Maps
- Ranging

Also Warlock has a point. Only reason why I didn't put instance as #1 priority is because the magic system is  'apparently' finished already but looking at bugs...for 6 months...ugh

But all in all, you've listed everything that I feel should be priorities too

#6 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:38 PM

I think reviewing the priority list is a good idea. As a first comment, I want to describe some of the reasons Learner has been dragging his feet about adding instances.

1. The plan is to make instances much more randomized/interactive in OL thab in EL. In example, we have much more control over creature movement, wave composition, etc; fully utilizing these features is going to require a lot of thought and time.

2. All combat skills are planned to be redesigned. Thus, if we take the time to make instances good now, we will have to rebalance/redesign them after every combat change (a lot of extra work taking time away from other development).

3. Item rarity and instance loot needs to be determined. This will probably require community input. All it takes is messing this up on main 1x to rek the economy).

4. We haven't decided how to split up a/d or CL caps for instances.

That said, if I had my choice, my priority list for Learner (not including community development of maps/quests etc):

1. Verify new magic is working as expected.

2. Add kool new spells and balance combat with new magic.

3. Implement script control for spawn groups in server. (Allows for dynamic invasions and instances)

4. Implement instances.

5. Balance ranging and summoning on test server.

6. Balance rest of combat with ranging and summoning on test server.

7. Balance instances with all combat changes on test server.

8. Implement 5-7 on main server.

9. Implement new armour and weapons on test server.

10. Implement perks on test server.

11. Balance instances with 9-10.

12. Implement 9-11 on main server.

#7 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

Achilles, thanks for the explanation.

Ok, time for a summary of where we are.. and frankly I think we're all pretty close.

Achilles, I hope you don't mind if I massage your list a bit.  How you've laid it out is a very nice series of steps.  If it is generalized into a list of priorities, is looks to me like this (correct me if I'm off on this):
a. finish magic
b. update and implement instances
c. ranging & summoning redo (simultaneously??)
d. redo weapons & armor
e. perks

AND you also noted that content development efforts are independent, BUT in order for those to go all the way, we need the following from Learner:
f. a method to define and code quests (& gambits)

Add to that Codux's additional item
g. Creature drops and locaions

and that yields, so far, 7 priorities.  Now to attempt to put them in order:

I think, like Codux, that since a lot has been put into magic and it seems like it's moving well, I suggest that is #1.  A lot of people are chomping at the bit for instances, so that's 2.  Content developers will need quests pretty soon, to fill out their stuff, so I suggest that's #3.  Ranging (&summoning?) is common to most everyone's priorities, so that's next.  I'm not sure about the rest, as they all add nicely to the game:
1. Finish magic
2. establish instances
3. new quest system
4. ranging (& summoning?) redo
5/6/7. weapons & armor, perks, creature drops

I suggest that we seem to be close to agreement so far that the first 4 here are pretty important, so maybe we keep them as the top 4???  If folks want to give their opinions on the other 3, or suggest other things more important than them, please post here.  I suggest that we try to keep the list to a top 7 (seems like a good number)... so let's hear your opinions whether you agree, disagree of have other ideas.

#8 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:49 AM

Added on to what you've summarized, I feel that at the very least, boss drops are re-done and fine tuned??

View PostRabbitman, on 15 June 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Implement 9-11 on main server.
Posted Image

#9 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:12 AM

Can we get a progress report please on the magic, and possibly an ETA ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magic, instances, quests, gambits, maps, graphics, enhancements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users