#1 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

Elo elo

So today there was some major convo/arguments in chan about invasions.

The problem we see is that invasions only usually start on weekends really late for the Euro people, about 10pm-midnight our time, which obviously most Euro'ers can't do as they they have responsibilities and cant stay up like zombies for it.

Tonight, we saw 1-2 mobs spawned, as a 'kill me to get invasions started' thing which imo, is utter bullshit. Those 2 things were Yeti in TD/Red dragon in RI.

Anyway, the Euro'ers end up spending time trying to locate these 1-2 mobs(bearing in mind its already almost midnight for them) JUST to kill them, to initiate the Americans Invasions(which are awesome, DTF(Defend the Fort) or just sick invasions in general)

So, I propose we either get an actual European Invasion Master who can cater to these needs, OR we get the invasions rolling in like 4-6 hours earlier Fridays/Saturdays.

#2 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'd say, either start the invasions late thursday nights for an american IM, You guys are plenty ahead, Like say Midnight here, and 7 a.m. there... boom, start the invas.

#3 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well yeah eats, dont get it twisted, im Euro, but im fking nocturnal, really u shouldnt even copnsider me as Euro lol im up all times as u guys

but theres quite a few others, who i feel will end up just quitting by having to kill only stragglers and shit, its just no good for the game doing it this way, can have more players on more often if invasions are started earlier. Must consider everybody

#4 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Right.. But the problem I see, is who will be the Euro IM?

#5 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Tbh, butler/Siarato are good choices

#6 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

I was not here this weekend because of RL travelling, so I did not see the in game conversation. A few comments based on the information in this thread.

1. Learner has said he does not want to start Friday invasions before approx 4-5 pm USA (~22 gmt). Adding a new IM won't change this, as any new IM muat follow the same rules as Grimm and myself. Personally, I could be available between 1-5pm on Friday to start things off if it were allowed.

2. Invasions on Sat/Sun typically start a bit later for Eu because we are waiting for more players to login (~17-19 gmt).

3. Hunt and kill a mob or two for invasion isn't always bad. I'll typically use it when there arent many players who want an invasion online, so players can show they want it :P. Although, I usually make it somethimg easy.

4. A red dragon was invaded :D, did someone kill it?

5. This wouldnt be as big an issue if there were instances or something else for fighters to do when invasions have slowed.

#7 sirdan

sirdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNaples Florida

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:05 PM

Why do they need to start later on sat and sunday? start them earlier if nobody can kill the mobs they aren't guna go anywhere.

#8 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:10 PM

Don't think that RD was killed :( (I want a scale rly bad!)

I agree with Achi that "hunting" really isn't too bad.  I tend to get more special drops this way (I have really weird luck).  But I am in favour for starting Friday invasions a little bit sooner - there's quite a crew of us on at that time, and I for one really look forward to them coming home from work hehe :D  Same goes with late Sat/Sun, by then we've had many drinks it is good way to get the fill of DB's lol

I would vote for either butler/siarato/warlock for IM if any of them were to volunteer or if we were to have a poll for another IM

#9 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostWarlock, on 26 July 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

So, I propose we either get an actual European Invasion Master who can cater to these needs, OR we get the invasions rolling in like 4-6 hours earlier Fridays/Saturdays.

OK, this is what I see,

Euro's are frustrated with 2 things, the down times(clearing maps for new waves included), and start times of a fresh invasion. And I am told, that when euro's log in, they are cleaning up the invasion.

Although at times we may be afk, we usually have an IM online all times of the weekend now, even when RL doesn't allow for all 3 to be.  Being the weekend also doesn't mean fully invaded all the time.

As for adding  an additional IM to solve this issue, these problems will still occur if there are 2 or 10 IM's online,  due to having to wait for most of the maps/mobs/spawns to clear before starting a new wave, and depending on the difficulty, to allow time to restock.

View PostRabbitman, on 26 July 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

I was not here this weekend because of RL travelling, so I did not see the in game conversation. A few comments based on the information in this thread.

1. Learner has said he does not want to start Friday invasions before approx 4-5 pm USA (~22 gmt). Adding a new IM won't change this, as any new IM muat follow the same rules as Grimm and myself. Personally, I could be available between 1-5pm on Friday to start things off if it were allowed.

I would also like to add  that when anyone has asked in the past to start earlier the reason we don't is because there is not enough players online to do so.

View PostWarlock, on 26 July 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

The problem we see is that invasions only usually start on weekends really late for the Euro people, about 10pm-midnight our time, which obviously most Euro'ers can't do as they they have responsibilities and cant stay up like zombies for it.

OK, valid point, in sense Euro invasions really don't start until Saturday, and end mid Monday when they are at work.  I can see this being unfair. For Americans can celebrate TGIF meanwhile Euro's have to sleep on it.

The different phases of the invasions, particularly  the cleanup time and start of a new wave is the main issue. Thus maybe shifting this time a few hours earlier or later could effect the timing of the different stages of a wave..  Could do this a few ways,
  • by asking to adjust the start time on Friday's and get Learner's opinions on the matter
  • or no invasions on Friday unless a minimum required amount of people are online, or otherwise start Invasions Saturday morning to be fair to all.

View Postsirdan, on 26 July 2015 - 11:05 PM, said:

Why do they need to start later on sat and sunday? start them earlier if nobody can kill the mobs they aren't guna go anywhere.

hope this post also answers your question.

open to your opinions

Grimm

#10 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:00 AM

Honestly, there are more of us on before the time Learner likes, yes I get how he likes it, but by then most Euro's logged up and there are like 8 of us left, compared to the 14 earlier... why have less, because of a preferred time...? I love all points made here. But thats just my input on the time starting. (beings when they start it is already practically Saturday for Euros.

#11 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

Here's my $0.02 - I only get a few hours on Saturday morning to do invs generally... gmt-5, from about 8:00am - Noon latest.  Frequently when I log on there are left overs from many hours before, and very few people (none when I first got on this weekend) actually taking them out.  Frequently they are far afield or a huge group of clops in a small multi space... so I spend a bunch of time (all, in the case of this weekend) cleaning up strays and waiting for other folks to come on and take out the bad dudes above my pay grade.

Some weekends it works out pretty well and I have an hour or two of mob-whacking fun!  Heck, one inv had facsimiles of a certain female Gnome and myself in a love-nest, for players to find... but I digress...

I will say tho, that in my experience, the IMs have been doing a great job making weekend play fun!!  Sometimes the timing doesn't work out well, but based on the current methods, they're terrific.

Seems to me that in addition to the other ideas noted above, it might also help if generally Invs were on a somewhat smaller scale, ones that are expected to take, say, 2-3 hours to complete?  After a short-ish break, another fresh invasion can happen, which itself might take 2-3 hours to complete?  This would allow the IMs to, hm, I hate to say customize, but make invasions appropriate to the changing on line population.

I'm not saying I want invs to be easy... some of the best times I've had in them are ganging up with a bunch of folks to take out the big baddies... but other times, there are 2 or 3 of us on line walking around taking out stray beavers, and unable to do anything about a mega mob of hard mobs left over from 8 hours before.

IMs, thanks for all you do for us - you really bring a lot of fun to the game.

#12 Siarato

Siarato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

After various discussions ingame yesterday and reading through this topic most people including Achilles and Grimm agree that there is no major issue starting invasions earlier on Fridays.

I am European and have been frustrated many Friday evenings waiting for invasions to begin along with a few of my guildies. Whilst I understand Learner wants to wait until there are more players
online, this argument makes no sense if 4-5 players have to log off shortly after invasion begins leaving just the US to kill the mobs.

Sirdan already said why wait til later, if nobody is online to kill them or many are afk the mobs can't go anywhere anyway :P

I don't believe we need a new IM, the current IMs do a good job with invasions now. They just need to be allowed to start it earlier for us Europeans :D

#13 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

These comments are more Invasion related in general not EU specific:
  • I originally didn't want to include Fridays in the definition of a 'weekend'.
  • When there are enough players online I do permit Invasions to start as early as 1pm my time on Fridays
  • There should be times during the weekend when there aren't any invasions, much to some people dismay
  • Do not beg, pester, bother IM's for specific types of Invasions or to get one if there isn't one. This is likely to cause undesirable invasions or no invasion at all
  • The community is encouraged to tell the idiots causing problems with #4 above to shut up an behave.
  • There are many invasions intended for Team Work, which is why there are maps fully loaded at times or a strange mix of mobs. IM's like to see team work amongst players.
  • When IM's are doing invasions, they are NOT to take into account or look at where players are unless they are setting up for an event and either need to get enough players there or need to make sure players aren't in the event area.
There is more then just that, but that's some points people need to consider. Keep in mind #4 above can be a big factor in not getting 'fun' invasions.

#14 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostSiarato, on 27 July 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Sirdan already said why wait til later, if nobody is online to kill them or many are afk the mobs can't go anywhere anyway :P

easiest to put it, it effects the spawning of new waves, and only creates more stragglers and no bosses, more mobs no one wants to look for

#15 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

I fear some you have grown soft, flabby and complacent. Oh yes!

Let me start by explaining that invasions are an act of God, not a matter of personal convenience. Indeed they are a force of nature over which you have entirely no control and which should leave you with that same sense of fear, uncertainty and doubt as that time your father suddenly stop giving you pocket money and then threatened to kick you out of his basement unless you took a bath and got a job.

And once you got that job, your father took you aside and explained how the essentially mercurial nature of threat and opportunity is such that one must be eternally alert and ready to take action at a moments notice. For if complacency causes you to wander far from your dry and sandy burrow, then might be lost some small advantage over your fellow man, or even a good chance of avoiding some of the outrageous quantities of horse shit that life will inevitably shower down upon your pointy little head.

In this respect, the nature of an invasion is similar to that of life or indeed a woman. All are mysterious and cannot be controlled or predicted to any great degree. Indeed, to presume otherwise is to commit the most unspeakable hubris in the face of a potentially jealous and vengeful God.  And just as with women, when it comes to invasions, fortune also tends to favour the brave, ready and willing over those who are content to sit, catsocking and unwashed in their parent's basement, expecting lady luck to arrive on time and dressed in a pink rubber skirt and 6 inch bitch heels.

Personally, I hark back to the old days when Learner would suddenly, and for no particular reason, visit an invasion of char-eating bears or poisonous frogs on some hapless victim purely for the fun of it, or because he suspected their parents had voted for George W. Likewise, any unsuspecting harvers who went slightly afk after answering a call of nature would return to find their char lying senseless and bleeding on the floor of cc with their exc cape stolen by an unseemly horde of naked imps. Many weeks there would be no invasion at all, or Leaner might do one specially for the Korean timezone when all the Euro's and Muricans were tucked up under their Spiderman duvets dreaming about being chased through Tirnwood by the woolly gargoyle. Then, one time when a boatload of Laplanders landed on these shores, we had near 6 months of continuous invasions followed by another 6 months of continual online sex in chan 666.  During those heady days we learned the virtue of patience, punctuation and how to strain fish beer through a pair of old underpants.

However, in those far off days honour still meant something and it would have been considered unmanly to have asked 'invayshun now?', 'moar invayshun?' or 'can I haz invayshun at 9:59pm Korean central time plz?'. How your fathers would now weep, roll in their graves and beat their chests to hear the young ppl of today reduce the noble institution of an OL invasion to the level of a mere EL invance (sans cap-faggotry and dresswear rules). They would tell you that invasions should happen randomly and be random in their intensity and location; they should be surprising, inconvenient and scary; there should loss, carnage, great breaking of swords, huge quaffing of h/e's and enormous squandering of potions of every kind; the red room should be packed full of victims with no pants and; the field of battle should bloom with the brown flower of a million death bags. Afterwards, bawdy battle songs should be sung; much ale should be drunk and; heavily boobed wenches should sit on every heroes lap (I ofc will be only too happy to sit in the lap of any lady warrior who likes the idea of having an ebul and despicable troll whisper entirely inappropriate things in their ear).

Imho, any self respecting OLtard should be prepared to gird his loins and enter battle at a moments notice or be shamed as the lilac picking EL'er that he surely is. Believe me, no heavily boobed wench will want to sit on the lap of anyone who whines about Armageddon not quite fitting with their hairdressing appointment or timezone.

#16 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

I think you have just out-done yourself Munt. Loved the read.
Awesome how you somehow put invasions and women into the same sentence and it made sense.

#17 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:31 AM

Make them automated? problem solved.

#18 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

LOLz! Munt, you're too much - and absolutely right.  Bring on the mobs!

Swagger and posturing aside, people aren't complaining because there's an invasion (mostly, I think), they're complaining because they're not on when the invasion is.  In OL, "the invasion" has in large part for many people become the game.  For many people, it's why they log on.  This has been in evidence in many recent forum posts - the standard game is not keeping players' attention.  The promise of action or adventure is why many of us play...  When you log on and expect a thousand gnarly mobs trying to off and eat your head - but instead find a couple stray beavers... it's a bit of a let down, and does nothing to help retain dedicated players.  When new content and features are available, satiating the salivating masses will become somewhat less of an issue I think, but that's still some ways off.

So, as much as this topic sounds like useless whining and gnashing of teeth, it is not inconsequential from the standpoint of trying to run a successful game.

#19 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

OMG,  will that man(munt) ever be serious in anything he posts......but yes, you are quite right munt,  invasions should be random and asking, begging, pleading should be instantly muted. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users