• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:42 AM

Ok I keep being asked what are the new spells for magic, and how do they work.

and Now at this stage, I have available to me the same info you have, and I haven't tested builds and in how the magic offense/defense attributes work yet.   This is available on the test server if you want to play around and figure how it works.

As for new spells,  a lil birdie told me, that there is at least 1 new formula available on the test server.

I haven't found it yet,  haven't really tried either.  

Even If I did know, or had formulas handed to me, I still wouldn't tell you for it take the fun out of finding it.

But to the point,  making of new spell is the stage we are now coming upon.

thus time to think about what new spells we could add, and what formula's may be possibilities.

Please post below any suggestions, opinions and ideas you may want to see.

#2 GypsyNomad

GypsyNomad

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

Learner & I floated the idea of Black FE's and Learner mention Black Lightning being made with those FE's which would be a black rose Sulfur & ???

#3 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostGypsyNomad, on 29 July 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Learner & I floated the idea of Black FE's and Learner mention Black Lightning being made with those FE's which would be a black rose Sulfur & ???
Black rose, sulphur and coal :)

Also, I have an idea for a shock spell, it does X amount of damage (goes by whatever like how harm does) but it can also have a 50% Chance to cause paralysis.
Another good one would be status condition heals, (For say any status condition) Poisoned? you have a chance at fixing it with this spell,
Or maybe even Burn? Put anoter good use to plain FE, You can burn a target and it has a 25% chance to do a burn thing and every 5 seconds or so, it does 5 damage, continues for a minute, or can be fixed with condition healer.

#4 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 29 July 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

View PostGypsyNomad, on 29 July 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Black rose, sulphur and coal :)

Also, I have an idea for a shock spell, it does X amount of damage (goes by whatever like how harm does) but it can also have a 50% Chance to cause paralysis.
Another good one would be status condition heals, (For say any status condition) Poisoned? you have a chance at fixing it with this spell,
Or maybe even Burn? Put anoter good use to plain FE, You can burn a target and it has a 25% chance to do a burn thing and every 5 seconds or so, it does 5 damage, continues for a minute, or can be fixed with condition healer.

maybe have enriched energy essences make able in game as a rare and use it with those ingredients for chained black lightning

heal poison, maybe 2 health, 2 death and 2 life essences?

hehe turn cabbages into flaming fireballs, thus matter conglomerate, dung or sulfur,  and 5 fire essences?

idk,  I think maybe get a bottle from tailor npc, fart in it, let it sit 3 days, then let that loose on a map

#5 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Woot! I will surely try to figure that out!!  It's awesome we're at this point!!!!!

This topic seems to clarify one thing about the new magic that I was unsure of, that is, are spells still cast in the same way as they always have... ie, sigils and essences. I assume the formulas you mean should be combinations of sigils, moreover, the same ones we've had...

Since you asked for it here... copied the following from a post in another magic topic, and added ideas about their recipes.  I wanted to get these in, but will add more later if I think of more.
single target spells:
  • stun (like spider paralyze) - Temporary+remove+matter
  • greater remote heal - global+increase+health+magic
  • damage spells doing a particular kind of damage, like fire, cold, magic: flame strike, chill, radiate - create+fire+local; create+water+magic+local
  • telekinesis - pick up or move a bag or whatever from a reasonable range - I wouldn't want this to include living things - move+matter
  • Find object/creature/whatever - would give some degree of clues as to where something is - there would have to be some pretty tight restrictions on this I would think?? - knowledge+matter+space
  • strength (temporarily make you or someone stronger - increase carry capacity) - increase+matter+life
  • Increase duration - makes an active duration spell last longer - increase+magic
  • Mundane - effectively make the player or target boring and unnoticed by aggressive mobs for a short-ish period of time, and maybe have a cooldown???  This would be like Monster Magnetism but would work for all mobs, including during invasions??? - Temporary+decrease+local
  • (alternately) Sanctuary - make someone ignored by mobs for a short-ish period of time, and maybe have a cooldown??? This would be a deity based thing, protection coming down from some higher power. - increase+life+protection. (ok, pretty much the same as Mundane I suppose)
  • Haste - (similar to speed hax) this could be just walking or it could also include hitting quicker in battle - increase+move+energy.
  • Shadow Mount - create a horse (maybe black with smoke for hooves if we want to be really cool about it) to ride for a short-ish period of time.  This could give certain benefits.  Move fast + maybe give an ignore bonus (+x to combat level or sum'n) - create+move+energy+death (for shadow mount), or for corporeal mount create+matter+life+move+a bone in hand which disappears.
  • Clone/Mirror Image - make n copies of yourself somewhere closeby (x meters away).  These could either behave like summons, or could be considered illusions, indistinguishable from yourself, but having actually 1 hp and are dispelled upon any hit.  They could either move autonomously or could all follow your move commands (plus directional offsets) - create+move+matter+energy.
Area of effect spells - these I think would generally include the space sigil??
  • area of effect damage spells dealing a particular kind of damage, but less damage to each target: fireball, cone of cold, radiation wave, etc - create+fire+increase+space; create+energy+increase+space
  • light - benefit in low-light situations - temporary+create+energy+space
  • bless - give + att/ acc or whatever to friendly units in an area - increase+life+space
  • protect - give + def/ armor or whatever to friendly units in an area - increase+protection+space
  • curse - effectively subtract att/def/armor/accuracy or whatever from hostile units in the area - decrease+life+protection+space
  • group teleport - bring a small number of ppl either to a range or portals room. Perhaps affected chars would get a dialog saying (so-n-so is teleporting you, do you want to go (Yes/No) - move+matter+global+space
  • lightning bolt - Pick a destination or target, all creatures or players between you and the dest get hit for damage - perhaps a 1-2-3 meter arc (within an affected tile?), so don't have to be exactly in a straight line. - create+increase+energy+space.
  • piercing arrow - pick a destination or target, all creatures or players between you and dest are hit by an arrow.  perhaps a 1 meter homing to make it worth while. - move+matter+arrow in quiver, which is then lost.
*Edited this post to include the other ideas I posted below - one stop shop*

#6 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1203 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

View Postwinter, on 29 July 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

Area of effect spells - these I think would generally include the space sigil??
  • area of effect damage spells dealing a particular kind of damage, but less damage to each target: fireball, cone of cold, radiation wave, etc - create+fire+increase+space; create+energy+increase+space
  • light - benefit in low-light situations - temporary+create+energy+space
  • bless - give + att/ acc or whatever to friendly units in an area - increase+life+space
  • protect - give + def/ armor or whatever to friendly units in an area - increase+protection+space
  • curse - effectively subtract att/def/armor/accuracy or whatever from hostile units in the area - decrease+life+protection+space
  • group teleport - bring a small number of ppl either to a range or portals room. Perhaps affected chars would get a dialog saying (so-n-so is teleporting you, do you want to go (Yes/No) - move+matter+global+space
This. aoe spells are a must for mage builds who want to fight

#7 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

OOH! This one!
  • Mundane - effectively make the player or target boring and unnoticed by aggressive mobs for a short-ish period of time, and maybe have a cooldown???  This would be like Monster Magnetism but would work for all mobs, including during invasions??? - Temporary+decrease+local
  • (alternately) Sanctuary - make someone unattackable for a short-ish period of time, and maybe have a cooldown??? This would be a deity based thing, protection coming down from some higher power. - increase+life+protection.

#8 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

Learner has also mentioned the possibility of skill shot style spells (in example, a fireball which will deal damage along a path from you to the target location), so keep that in mind as well in your suggestions. As Grimm said magic is updated on test; however, don't trust any of the formulas there as they are (very) likely to change :P.

#9 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostRabbitman, on 29 July 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

Learner has also mentioned the possibility of skill shot style spells (in example, a fireball which will deal damage along a path from you to the target location),
  • lightning bolt
  • piercing arrow

#10 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

And, Oh, how could I forget!
  • Haste - (similar to speed hax) this could be just walking or it could also include hitting quicker in battle
  • Shadow Mount - create a horse (maybe black with smoke for hooves if we want to be really cool about it) to ride for a short-ish period of time.  This could give certain benefits.  Move fast + maybe give an ignore bonus (+x to combat level or sum'n)
  • Clone/Mirror Image - make n copies of yourself somewhere closeby (x meters away).  These could either behave like summons, or could be considered illusions, indistinguishable from yourself, but having actually 1 hp and are dispelled upon any hit.  They could either move autonomously or could all follow your move commands (plus directional offsets)
Ok, ok, I promise I won't post any more ideas for a while... at least a few hours. (can you tell I'm excited for the new magic)

#11 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

The Sanctuary spell seems a bit OP. People could cast it in PK maps and not die and then PK would become pointless.
Maybe give it a damage reduction of some sort?

#12 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:51 PM

Another nice spell could be blinding, like for AoE spells, you can say, 5 tiles around a specific area you could blind a target (Player, animal, mob, etc.)  It could use sigils Change, decrease, Destroy, and temporary For the spell.

#13 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

If you're making a lightning spell do not make it use fire essences. Use energy and air essence. Fire ess should be reserved for flame and fire based spells instead of electrical ones.

#14 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

View Postbutler, on 29 July 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

If you're making a lightning spell do not make it use fire essences. Use energy and air essence. Fire ess should be reserved for flame and fire based spells instead of electrical ones.
Agreed

#15 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

How about Charm?  That could make creatures on your side, as if you had summoned them?  Since they don't lose hp and die on their own, the effect would have a duration I imagine.  After x minutes (perhaps based on caster level) they return to their regular disposition.

This could have two variations... low level single target and higher level AoE.

Some mobs would not be charmable.

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

Now, if I charmed a fluffy rabbit in TD, that would be quite helpful, wouldn't it? If you desperately want something like that, then you need to give higher level monsters less chance, and have a dependency on your magic level as well. I also think that would help to make summoning less attractive, since it does a similar job and serves a similar purpose, but doesn't require you to level a different skill (considering most level magic for healing purposes already).

neat idea, but I'm not sure of it's feasibility.

#17 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:19 PM

Yyyyyeaaahhhh - the more powerful the creature, the harder to charm.  I imagine there would be a chance for the creature to not be charmed aside from spell failure.. meaning - you use the esses & mana but to no avail.

Some creatures would simply not be charmable... say, maybe fluffy and up?

I see this as a very powerful thing - and only really high level wizards would be able to charm pretty aggressive mobs.  Perhaps it could be made pretty expensive, and get more expensive the tougher mobs you try to charm.

I agree tho that this would diminish the need for summoning, so maybe not the best idea. Unless folks really like this idea, perhaps we just drop it...

#18 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2810 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

I would think that an Charm spell like that might be a high end thing for summoners, not mages :D

#19 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:44 AM

Just thought of another spell:

Push (move+increase+global+space - this could require a diss ring in inventory, which is consumed by the spell) - like a pebble dropped in a pond, a pressure wave starts at the caster and radiates out quickly, relocating everything it passes x distance farther from the caster.  Some accommodation can be made for really large things - they would move only a little.  This would also break off melee combat for those affected.
Scenario - Winter steps into KF and is immediately surrounded by orcs and armed gobs. Being drawn into the fray, he will soon be overwhelmed!  All he needs is a few seconds escape to the portals room.  PUSH - suddenly, all the mobs around him are displaced in a radius of [2?,3?] meters.  Quickly, he wiggles his fingers and vanishes as the crush of mobs descend.  He kneels and kisses the cold floor of his sanctuary.

#20 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Wow, i'm definitely liking many of the ideas being put forward in this thread. I can't really add much other than some non-combat suggestions :

a) a spell that, once cast, alerts you to any invasion mobs in your vicinity for the next half hour
b )a temporary monster mag spell. Yup, something that does the same as the cloak only temporarily
c) a temporary havest med spell. Yup, as per the above
d) a temporary exc cape spell. Yawn ditto.

I'd also like a spell to deal with bears (whom we all know are bad luck). I'm not talking about invasion bears, just the ordinary brown bears that wander inconveniently between you and the bunny you are about to bash.  In this respect, a spell to make bears move elsewhere would be cool.

Though its not strictly necessary in OL (as peep are all awesome and fine). Those of us that harved in EL will remember the perils of doing so in pk-land. In this respect, a spell that makes you explode on death  (rendering you and your assailant into a pair of death bags) would be cool. By the same token, any spell that explodes when your bag is snatched could be mighty welcome in the future.

Apologies if some of the above are just plain dumb, but i've never used magic in over 6 years of playing EL/OL, so haven't a cloo about it really. Part of the problem is that it was never very useful or relevant. About the only useful thing was 'heal' but, tbh, a band-aid potion (the little red one) will do just as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users