6 replies to this topic

#1 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

This was the first post I ever made on OL http://www.other-lif...the-bans-forum/ which, rather surprisingly in retrospect, appears to have been almost rational. Whilst not teh finest display of sophisticated rhetoric, and given that it's an ancient fossil from OL's incendiary past, prolly best cover your heads when I say I still hold exactly the same view.

However, public banning of peeps has never been a big sport in OL, and the only proponents were the reviled ELtards and their pets (thankfully long banished through much desperate struggle). Personally, and peeps are free to agree differently, I fucking abhor the public pillorying of anyone (guilty or innocent) which simply reduces us all to the level of a ridiculous mob. Jup, some peeps sometimes seriously need banzorring, but let that be decided by peeps whom are directly effected (the server opererator).  As for the rest of us, we have the choice to vote with our (online) feet if we don't like shit.

Mostly, I hate bans forumz because (if you read it) you'll see it's never added anything to OL. It's just a dreadful  inherited hangover from EL.

#2 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

I agree with Munt on this. Although reading the bans forum on EL was, at times, extremely entertaining, I also found it distasteful and a very unprofessional way to handle issues.

#3 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

The only useful thing, it may provide good warning to those unfamilar with EL/OL that people do get caught breaking rules. Other that that, I can agree with munt.

#4 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

Ermagerd a wild wizzy approaches. On topic, there needs to be some way for people to post a reasoned response to an incorrect ban. The example that comes to mind is multiple people on same isp trading.

What makes sense to me is any player can start a ban thread about themselves and can post in those threads only. Admins and mods (not necessarily IMs because those roles are separated in OL) can post in any thread in bans.

This would avoid the not helpful discussions that have typically permeated OL ban threads.

Edit: Could also make each ban thread only readable by those aforementioned whom can post. In response to the privacy concerns etc.

#5 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostRabbitman, on 08 September 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

Edit: Could also make each ban thread only readable by those aforementioned whom can post. In response to the privacy concerns etc.

That would fix it, although don't know how much work that would take on the forum end.

#6 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

From my experience of working with board software, most support creation of restricted access/view sections. However, the problem is that such functionality isn't typically designed to facilitate/manage a large number of separate single thread discussions. Whilst the limited number of ban discussions we've had to date would suggest that wouldn't be a problem, it could cause conceivably cause difficulties at some point in the future.

That said, I think Achilles suggestion still has merit. Whilst it might be difficult to implement on other boards, the Invision board provides a personal messaging facility that allows for three other participants to be included in discussion. The only potential difficulty arises where ppl, others than those involved in the discussion, subsequently require access to content (as would be the case in circumstances where it was necessary to ensure consistency of decision making across multiple moderators).

Edit: crap!!! I really sound boring

#7 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Learner - why haven't you removed that band section already (you bad man)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users