• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Caduceus

Caduceus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:13 AM

There is going to be a major revamp of ALL the graphics and animations. We will be hiring a studio to provide new models, textures, etc. There will be majorly improved environments, creatures, equippable items, special effects, races/customizations, walking/fighting animations, etc.

As part of this process, we need to be specific as to what we want in regard to many of these things. We can certainly give the studio a fair amount of creative freedom, however a certain amount of direction is recommended.

One of the more promising studios we connected with asked the following just as a starting point:

1. how many and what kinds of races and creatures are there?
2. how many faces/textures etc variations for each character and in total for all?
3. how many and what types of armors and weapons?
4. how many animations per character and creature and in total for all?
5. how many and what kinds of environments do you want?

and give good descriptions and examples for everything.

For much of what is needed we could simply link the EL wiki to them so that they can see pics of the mobs, races, harvestables, and equippables that we have based the game around. They will create their own versions of many of them, however this provides them with a baseline.

For some of the other things such as animations, we would need to provide descriptions for the movements that we would want, although fluidity in movement is particular key. As for the environments, while we could send some screenshots it might be best to be as original as possible. We would be able to provide descriptions of what we would want such as trees, grass, rocks, water, buildings, etc. for a variety of environments. It would be particularly important for the people that would be interested in mapmaking to have input in this area.

We have a solid opportunity to be fairly original and thoughtful in what we want graphics-wise, and whether it be based on existing game elements or of it involves new mobs, environmental additions, etc. there is plenty of room to grow.

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Question----Will the server be able to support these new proposed graphics?   Will the present players be able to still play OL with their present computers?   I am all for better graphics, just concerned that my computer would not be able to handle it.

#3 Caduceus

Caduceus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostAlddrA, on 27 February 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Question----Will the server be able to support these new proposed graphics?   Will the present players be able to still play OL with their present computers?   I am all for better graphics, just concerned that my computer would not be able to handle it.

Yes, we will ensure that the server is able to support these graphics. Present players should have no issue playing OL with their current systems, as will the large majority of players in the future. However, there will always be exceptions involving those that may have less capable setups, in which case there will be options to turn off certain features similar to what OL currently allows.

#4 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Sounds cool, finally progress

hope to see harvest/manu/crafting animations too, and ofcourse dual wielding swords :D

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

come back scarr <_<

#6 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

Just a thought: When Invasions happen, the sky should become more dark and red with a red sun/moon depending on day or night. Just something to think about

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2868 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostCoduX, on 28 February 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Just a thought: When Invasions happen, the sky should become more dark and red with a red sun/moon depending on day or night. Just something to think about
That would have to be for ALL maps, not just the invaded map(s).

#8 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostLearner, on 28 February 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

View PostCoduX, on 28 February 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

That would have to be for ALL maps, not just the invaded map(s).
That's what I meant

#9 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

I like it; but it will make GIWS almost obsolete.

To be more precise: I would find it not very logical if GIWS could change the color of the sky. So this would need to be a separate mechanism to indicate invasions. The only reason I would see to keep GIWS is to warn you if you are indoors.

#10 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

(Quoted from CoduX)

Just being reasonable here,  nice idea but really not needed.....as BK says, we have GIWS to let us know of invasions.

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2868 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

GIWS helps when you are logged in when a message is sent. If you log in afterwards ... surprise!

Of course the sky changing only helps if you're outside anyways.

#12 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

Good point, but when you first log in, if you bother reading the notice at the top of the screen, you will see that there are mobs invaded ;)

#13 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2868 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

"If you bother" ... but I was simply addressing GIWS comment, and we all know many people don't read that. They even miss that it's a special day.

#14 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Was merely something to think about. Not needed and was just something different to toss about :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users