•  

Poll: Deleted Character Recovery

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Deleted Character Recovery (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Should OL allow recovery of deleted Charactors within a 'reasonable time' for a fee?

1. Yes (24 votes [82.76%])

Percentage of vote: 82.76%

2. No (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

How much of a fee should there be?

1. $5 (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

2. $10 (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

3. $15 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. $20 (13 votes [44.83%])

Percentage of vote: 44.83%

5. More! Make them pay for their mistakes (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

Vote

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2700 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Since we have seen people rage quit, and sometimes delete there characters, I've taken steps so that in the future a deleted character can be recovered. But, in keeping with the Community Driven aspect of this game, I'm starting a Poll that if approved will set a price on recovery deleted characters to their owners within a 'reasonable time'.

While I'm not yet defining 'reasonable time' yet, it is intended to be shorter, not for undeleting a character from a long time ago. This also doesn't change ownership of any characters and the person getting it back must still know the characters password or the recovery process will fail.

Please answer the Poll and make any comments, even what you think might be a 'reasonable time'

#2 Kurama

Kurama

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

The fee should Increase every month from the date of deleting account for exmaple 20USD + 1USD for every month

#3 Tycine

Tycine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPanama

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

I personally would define that "reasonable time" as 'less than a month'.
I selected $20 because I figure the price of a bottle of booze ought to cover full recovery (including inventory), basically the cost of what drove them to delete... to recover *snickers*

#4 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Yes, reasonable time should be no more than 2 weeks because if the person is really repentant they will come to their senses within that time limit.

I also think that a poll should be taken for individuals.   Some characters are unsavory and I'm sure most of the community would probably refuse to let back.

Amending my post:    Maybe a character might be considered 'unsavory' by some people but not others.   In that case, yes have a poll to determine if they should be allowed back.  

There has been only 1 person in particular that really, really irked me to no end!!  (so far) :angry:

#5 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

I voted Yes and $20 as #killme must NEVER be taken lightly.

I am sure everyone who has spent a couple of hundred hours leveling a character understands that #kill_me is kinda final...it is a waste of Learners time to have to undo #kill_me commands if players decide to just kill their characters as they please.

I think that the 'reasonable period' should be around a month or 50 days...

If it was done by accident or rage or under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or religious fervor then a week should is long enough to come to your senses...

But maybe not everyone is able to come up with $20 in such a short time so I would hope to include two month ends to enable players to save up to have enough money to get the char back...

You can rage quit without actually deleting the character....just delete the client off your pc...#killme must still be taken seriously....

#6 Danika

Danika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWellesley Ontario Canada

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

I believe in tough love so I would say that "reasonable time" would be no longer than a week

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2700 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 18 March 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Yes, reasonable time should be no more than 2 weeks because if the person is really repentant they will come to their senses within that time limit.

I also think that a poll should be taken for individuals.   Some characters are unsavory and I'm sure most of the community would probably refuse to let back.
If an unsavory character deletes themselves, you can always pay for a poll to prevent them from being recovered before they try to get recovered. Simpler to do that then have a poll for every recovery.

#8 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

If an unsavory character deletes themselves, you can always pay for a poll to prevent them from being recovered before they try to get recovered. Simpler to do that then have a poll for every recovery.

Agreed, you need to hate the person enough...then make a poll to keep them out.

#9 rick

rick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

my first choice would be to remove the killme command, second recovery within a reasonable time and a reasonable price 5$

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2700 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

View Postrick, on 18 March 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

my first choice would be to remove the killme command, second recovery within a reasonable time and a reasonable price 5$
There are plenty pf reasons to keep the killme command. I even went through extra effort to fix it since EL broke it.

#11 Aine

Aine

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

All I will say is I believe in the polls and think it's great we are so community based,,never want that to change...!   But please let all of our's friend come back m/

#12 kav

kav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Another perspective on it if we're insisting on associating $, flip it around. Remove the command but make it so that anyone that wants to delete their characters can pay a fee to do so. It'll serve as a deterrent and make people think twice.

#13 Tycine

Tycine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPanama

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

I'd like there to be some definite expiration date on how long Learner will store a deleted character, even if that's a year down the road.

A year wouldn't be so bad... would enable people to basically FREEZE their account and make it unhackable while they're off on the other side of the world or whatever too... for the low low cost of whatever is decided in the polls.

This would expand the use of the #Killme command for a positive purpose.

#14 Kinreth

Kinreth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

I think the #killme should be a 2 part process. The 1st part should lockup or freeze player for 2 weeks to a month. After that the account is unlocked and the player must #killme a second time. Let the second time be permanent or make them pay a fee to get it back.
this would give the person some cool down time to make a rational decision.

#15 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Yes, $10

#16 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:26 AM

Not that it really matters to me, cos I don't imagine myself ever being dumb, drunk or emo enough to delete characters, but what's with the obsession to put a time limit on the whole thing? If someone wants to reinstate their character then let them do it whenever, and please don't tell me 'to save learner's time' because he'd get 20$ out of it, and I must've paid him 10x to rollback my character in EL between 2006-2008, when that was still a thing, and I'm pretty sure he was happy to make the money off it, and it took him like 10-15mins at most every time.

Voted yes/20$, and don't put some silly time limit on it, if you want your tiny community to grow, you have to open up all avenues of getting players, and people who can return to their old character they wasted 100+ hours on, are far more likely to come back and play again.

#17 kav

kav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 19 March 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

Voted yes/20$, and don't put some silly time limit on it, if you want your tiny community to grow, you have to open up all avenues of getting players, and people who can return to their old character they wasted 100+ hours on, are far more likely to come back and play again.
Spot on really, I was going to abstain from this vote but I agree with this.

#18 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

Voted $10 plus a reasonable period. However, i'd suggest 'reasonable' should be no more than a day. St Arc is quite right when he says we're a small community who can't afford to be fussy.

If this is all because of the Warlock thing, he's a great guy who's done more than enough for the community to have his char recovered for free. If not, I'll gladly pay the $10 on his behalf.

As for unsavory characters, it's against our religion to #killme.

#19 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Let me all remind you of a little quote that pops up every time you start up OL.
"Remember, think about whats good for the most people in the game"

#20 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

People "rage quitting" takes a toll on the community, so I think getting the character returned should cost more than $20. Maybe that will make people think twice before deleting the character.
I think a month is a fair amount of time - it gives the person time to come back to their senses, and then a bit of time to screw their courage up to deal with the embarrassment of having behaved so immaturely in such a public manner.
I do feel very strongly that if we agree to recover a character for one person, we must do it for everyone. Rules cannot be applied one way for people we like and a different way for people we dislike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users