28 replies to this topic

#21 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

Roleplay wise, I like a realistic Hand-Drawn map. Those work for game play so long as they aren't totally off from reality (ie more detail than EL is needed). I think I've talked before about having to purchase or earn a map of the area, but that is probably still not implemetable since the maps are on the user side...

#22 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 15 July 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

....  I think I've talked before about having to purchase or earn a map of the area, but that is probably still not implemetable since the maps are on the user side...

I like that idea. It is fun to explore a map. But once you have explored it, a map can avoid the frustration of not remembering where there were. Further, map-walking is damn convenient.

I think the client could be modified to show maps only after checking back with the server. Possibly the maps are encrypted so that you cannot open them with external viewer too easily. The key would have to be static, though, and for somebody with some basic programming skills it would be straightforward to go into the code and see how to decrypt them.

I am not sure though whether it should be a priority to do such a modification.

#23 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2933 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

One reason it's a low priority is that since the client is open sourced a lot of people would just disable that feature or publish work-a rounds anyways. Probably not work the effort.

#24 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Yup. Have to agree with Learner with regard to the inherent weaknesses of incorporating map encryption into an open source client. However, tbf, the same issue would exist even if the Client was closed source.

Atm, we already have vulnerabilities with maps that can be exploited even without code. Probably a good idea that we fix those before introducing new features that create more loopholes.

However, that's not a reason for peepz to stop making potentially interesting suggestions for new game features.

#25 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

I probably agree with L that it's not worth the effort since there would be a tutorial like the next day on how to put in your custom Bloodsucker maps to bypass the difficulty of getting maps and/or exploring.

Edit: but the map makers can put plenty onto a map that is difficult to see or label on a tab map. I still hate the magic school lmao.  :)

#26 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:24 PM

Well, in the end it will be a question of what is easier: to get around the encryption or to just bite the bullet and grind those 1kgc to buy all the maps in-game. I bet for 90% the latter will be faster, but it might be less fun, ;).

Having said that, I think we are all on the same page here. So, I do not know why bothered posting. Guess I am turning troll.

#27 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

It's a feature I'll be gunning for when we get all the (ALL the other) other kinks worked out. It's not trolling. In fact, I'd love it if we were able to revive old topics and see what people think about them now and how implementable they might be. The revived player death drops discussion led to Learner making changes on test ;)

#28 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostBlakKat, on 18 July 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

Well, in the end it will be a question of what is easier: to get around the encryption or to just bite the bullet and grind those 1kgc to buy all the maps in-game. I bet for 90% the latter will be faster, but it might be less fun, ;).

Having said that, I think we are all on the same page here. So, I do not know why bothered posting. Guess I am turning troll.

Definitely not trolling and definitely worth making the post.

There are other ways of regulating player access map images without using client-side encryption. We could, for instance, break down map images into a series of discrete textures that could then be assembled to form the map image based on server protocol commands (kind of like http). Yup, it would take up bandwidth, but perhaps not so much if the map format is kept simple. It would also constrain map artwork somewhat and increase the complexity involved in making map images. However, it would avoid players editing code to avoid controls.

I guess that the die hard cheats could still use a series of screen grabs. I guess the solution to that might be to include some dynamic map content. These are in any case issues that we need to think about in the design of the new client, so they do have an immediate relevance.

#29 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

We are releasing a new Update soon.
  • new storage added
  • LD single combat map
  • AD/LD insides/outsides
  • Moving forward to VL Outside becoming PK
  • some spawn changes
  • NPC's added
I ponder community input about Aldath and Thalendale also becomming single combat (Your Opinions?)

Not sure if Dwarven caves 2 spawns will be updated, new feature was added to assist in enhancing the spawns there including feros

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users