19 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hey all,

I would like to propose a new weekly quest for individuals to pursue. At any point from Monday on, you can talk to an npc and be assigned a quest mob for the weekend invasion. Once you kill x number of those mobs, you can return to the npc for your reward. Rewards could vary from items, to gc, to experience...and do not necesarily be the same every time for the same quest. I would suggest that the difficulty of mobs assigned to you scale with your combat level, and the chances for nicer rewards scale with more difficult mobs as well.

Some potential quests:

Kill 100 brown rabbits
Kill 100 male goblins
Kill 100 trolls
Kill 50 penguins
Kill 50 cyclops
Kill 25 fluffy rabbit

Kill 1 Gabby Goblin
Kill 1 Giganta
Kill 1 Lt. Foo Foo
Kill 1 Boss Troll (named or unnamed)

Basically just an idea to add some fun/excitement to searching out some specific invasion mobs. Plus possibly add some motivation to go for higher mobs than you usually would.

#2 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

Don't think bosses should be included, we already have people who go straight for them and leave hordes, this would only encourage them.

I don't think this'd end up in my favour otherwise (I'd be assigned stuff I can't kill in that quantity at that speed xD) but it would be fun for other people, I think.

#3 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

I like the idea - nice topic Rabbitman, and I would go a step farther and say that I would invite the quest-maker(s) to make it hard for people to actually do.  In other words, I think it's ok if a large portion of questers actually fail.  Also, once their chance is passed (the week ends), that quest is cancelled, and the char should get another that week.

If there is a real possibility that chars will fail, I think the rewards can be somewhat greater than a quest that characters are pretty much expected to complete.

the really cool thing here is that people will be competing to get their quests in - it's not like the old Haidir quests "do you have Raccoons? Ok, I'll wait."  It's more like "Geronimo! I'm jumping into the middle of a swarm of pit vipers before other people kill them all!  uh whoops, poison..."

For rewards though, the inv already yields significant rewards, I think there should be little or no exp reward - or may that would be one possible outcome.  Plus I think generally rewards can/should have as much of a RP element as making the char stronger or richer.  Maybe they earn a title (cf. other topic) or a housing item or whatever else (ofc, those game components need to be added first, rats!)... but perhaps that's a topic for a different day...

Pros:
  • incentive for folks to play during weekend invasions = more fun
  • competition = more fun (usually)
  • bragging rights = more fun
  • kicking quests = more fun
  • rocking/random rewards = more fun
Cons:
  • I will personally rarely benefit :( (ok, pity me)

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2121 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

I'll look into what it would take to add time limited rewards to chars, like pluses that last a week or two.

#5 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

Nice, I like.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostLearner, on 12 January 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'll look into what it would take to add time limited rewards to chars, like pluses that last a week or two.

Might be worth looking at Scarrs guild challenges idea again in that case, he had a similiar reward scheme.

Thinking wise, I can see some teamwork coming in, but I can think of another problem; A heightened feeling of not sharing maps mobs spawn on. Already happens, and slightly connected to people already just searching to kill bosses (really think they should be left out of this). Don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but I have my concerns.

#7 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I would be concerned about the ganging up factor.  When I was writing my last post and included competition, I was thinking that it would not be good for a "group quest" or otherwise cooperative quest.  People will find a way to cooperate anyway, but if there was a codified way for people to work together, it will quickly turn into groups vs groups, and folks that aren't in a group will be alienated.  just my $0.02

#8 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Right now, most guilds scout, find invaded maps, and only share within the guild, possibly with friends outside, and with the general game usually only if they find something they can't kill. There are acceptions to this, but by and large, that's how it works. And tbh, I would like to discourage that practice, and I see adding this (without some further modifications I can't think of right now), this will actually encourage this.

On the other hand, found scarrs thread: Guild Rituals

I think we need to polish this idea. And I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to do so.

#9 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

I like the idea.
Probably won't benefit me greatly but I still like the idea of a reward for the hard work of using resources to kill mobs for the benefit of yourself and everyone else (by clearing a map so it safe to go to...if it's a safe map)
At least it's something you would get.
I agree with Butler though, needs to be fine tuned.

#10 Kurama

Kurama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

I'm too lazy to read all your posts guys, so........... Don't forget mixers, they should get some rewards for mxing needed supplies for players which are fighting invasion, because without them, you would'nt ever beat invasion !
I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it is, mixers should get some small rewards for mxing while invasions. At least lesser food consumation while mixing or some % chance not loosing ingreds.
I know it will be pretty good for mixers, but they got nothing from invasion. Think about it :)

#11 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:26 AM

I agree, there's no reason why a quest can't be something other than fighting???  If a PC has decent mixing levels, then perhaps a quest could be "mix 200 SRs and 400 BRs" or make some kind of swords or armors during an invasion or plant mines or whatever... also, cast x number of remote heal or n number of poison or harm or whatever spells.  When the new spells come out and we have more offensive capability, maybe "kill x many creatures with spells."  OFC to do many of these things, the NPC will have to be aware of the PC levels, to be fair.

#12 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

Agreed with Winter, simple quest are also needed.

#13 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

hehe, non-fighting quests was the point, I said nothing about difficulty mmmoooooooah-ha B)

#14 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

This is my point, stop thinking that "go kill 10 wolfs" is stupid and not needed quests kind.

#15 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostFire, on 20 January 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Agreed with Winter, simple quest are also needed.

View PostFire, on 20 January 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

This is my point, stop thinking that "go kill 10 wolfs" is stupid and not needed quests kind.
That is a simple quest. It's boring and very straight forward. Combos would be far more interesting to gain rewards from ...

#16 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

I would like to start compiling any quest related content from past forum posts as well as the brains of anyone who wants to contribute.

I have begun writing the story outline for Dwarven Lands. Within the outline I have short quips about quests. That is the kind of content I'm looking for. A quest consists of 3 things:

1. A story fit to give the quest
2. A story fit for the npc/map/item(s).
3. An appropriate reward.

Here is an example of one of my quest ideas:

Ore trader: There is much need for Dwarven ores and minerals from the Dwarven Lands. There is a Gnome who specifically needs ores and minerals that can't be found in Mystic Haven. He always works with the most trustworthy of sorts, so if you've killed a lot of humans, he wouldn't want to do business with you. But he is willing to offer gold, experience, and reputation with the Gnomes if you help him find what he needs.

Please post quests in this topic and we will hash them out and see about putting them into the story.

#17 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2121 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

Actually, it's not a requirement that an NPC be the start of the Quest. An example in EL is when killing Bob in PL sometimes gives you a broken Medallion.

#18 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostLearner, on 29 March 2016 - 05:42 AM, said:

Actually, it's not a requirement that an NPC be the start of the Quest. An example in EL is when killing Bob in PL sometimes gives you a broken Medallion.

Good point. I updated the list ;)

I also wrote this within the 1 minute of free time I had at work today, while simultaneously trying to snarf down all the leftover pizza.

#19 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

Wow, you are very talented kiwi

#20 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

Not sure if this isn't better but here goes: A compilation of quest ideas and gambits

Orick
Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:27 PM
right now its set up so most of the gods and quests in the game can be bought and finished in a mater a mins, i think this should be changes of ex. right now for the alch god you need to have 10 items on you or in storage to give to the priest to finish the quest i think we should change it to YOU have to harvest AND mix the items needed to complet the quest... so for the 300 silver bars you have to first harvest 2400 silver ore, 1200 red rose, red snaps and sulfer, and 900 coal then mix the FEs and then mix the bars... that to me would be a quest also and not trying to get this topic to large i think we need to redo the requirmends, for instance on alch god...
1: 1500 fire essence, harvested and mixed
2: 1000 each of water, earth, and air essence
3: 1000 each of spirit, matter, and energy essence
4: 500 each of life, health, and magic essence(not death because it take Mercury and right now i dont know how to get that)
5. 300 each iron and steel bars
6. 300 each silver and gold bars
7. 1 each EFE, EWE, ELE, and EME(made by chance only not with enrichment stones)
*note* not just mix all thies things but you have to harvest them and mix them in order

Kidberg
Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:21 AM
Guild quests would be nice.  Sort of like global quests now but only for the guild that completes the quest.

scarr
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:41 AM
yeah i would love to see more humanoids, like thieves that hang around camp sites, or Dark Knights that walk around some city or add city guards with matching armors patrolling the city or giving out quests to players just makes the game feel more alive

Excerpt from Learner
Think about having the map 'change' in the future based on specials & quests (The server can hide/unhide objects & change if an area is walkable or not)
Think about RPG playing, not just leveling

butler
Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:25 PM
I'd like to suggest a few ideas for creating more dynamic quests. I know there are more pressing changes at the moment, but i would like to put these ideas down while there still fresh in my mind.
At the moment, quests are very simplistic even though they are supposed to be more in dpeth than "kill 10 rats". The key issues with the quest at the moment are:
Repetitive.
No variables or anything to really tackle guides.
The core aspects of the quests are quite basic, e.g. break this armour set, speak to these NPCs, kill this, etc.
There is no reason to return to NPC generally after a quest.
Nothing (realy) to prevent people from just clicking straight through the majority of text.
Coords are almost always unchanging.

Generally, most of these point make quest quite uninteresting or just an exercise to get extra exp. So, i propose, when i comes to redesigning quests, is that we make the NPCs dynamic. The NPCs quest varies slightly in response to what dialougue options you choose, with no chance to pcik up a different variation till you complete this variation. Or make your conversation with NPCs change depending on who you met so far, e.g. if you meet Giovanni after the Sherrif of Corren (can't remember his name atm) you get different response than vice versa. This would make everybodies game different, but obviously more strenious on NPC writers. As for text skipping, if each encounter is unique to a person (or closish) then it makes guides slightly less appealling, and might make people appreciate the NPC writers dialogues more. And the fact the conversation differs on your reactions and who you met, you have more to gain from returning to an NPC to find out more about the lands.

An other idea i have is why not make NPCs move, within a small area? Do people really stay fixed to one area, and never move? nope. Obviously, Shop NPC should really move, nor the school teachers, storages, priests or the wraith. But every other NPC doesn't really need to be stuck to one spot. It makes doing quests by coords a little more lengthy, and gives the game a larger feeling of life at the quiet times of the day. I'm sure some Ant code/guard bot code could be recycled to produce an NPC that walks around in a certain area and stop when questioned by a player(s).

Greater variety within the quests could be the usual things like kill XXXX, break XXXX, find XXXX to the most complicated current quests such as harv/use XXXX within the confined time between XXXX and XXXX. But we could add some quests that require player interaction, such to give a certain amount of funds to a newbie (got the idea from an ther game i play) or to slay a boss or track down an kill the last mob in the invasion. You could also have speed quests, such as one where you complete a list of certain tasks, and if completed, a reward is given out, and extra time given to other players doing this universal competitive quest (this is one of the biggest attractions of an other online game a i play). You could always have exploring quests, where you must discover dungeons whos entrance change randomly ever day (could be to use a coin one day and be using a skull the next) and recovering an artifact (thats untradable, visible item).

It would also be nice to get a new set of quests to EL, with quests being started at NPCs that have been chosen with a bit more quest (not like the newbie break quest situated by SKF entrance, i mean, why?). A redesign of Newbie Tutorial would be a nice thing to do as well, something more engrossing, putting important and most widely used skills first. for example:
The Laws (you need this, as so many miss the important ones like multiplay, and say scamming isnt illegal, as those two catch too many out)
How to speak - say hello (or anything) on @1
Fight - engage newbie tutorial in battle (make him weaker than rabbit, but infinite HP) and dissengage. (If you cant disengage, and newbie tutorial gets you to 10 HP, he'll dis, then heal you, if you eligible to be healed)
Harvest - Newbie tutorial needs some plants to create some potions for newbies (harvest various flowers, but put in a sensible order, rather than one on one side, then on other side then on the first side of the island)
Mixing - newbie tutorial would like you to mix a set of fire essences to keep the signal fire lit.
Eating - Newbie gives you some bread, and a minor healing potion, and you must eat/drink both (he goes on to explain that lower level potions give you a vial back)
Navigating - Deliver some ale to the tavern on IP, deliver a DE to Kayne on his boat and finally deliver a book (journal) to the reporter in votd (teaches use of mini map)
Schools - Sends you to alch tutorial (try to give a little extra incentive for them, since its a long, unattractive walk to the NPC). and do first part.
Gods - Go speak to Aluwen, Glillin and Elandrias priests and learn of the gods.
Other things such as death, shops, etc. can be popup windows, from the ghostly, far away voice of the wraith.
Obviously these are all just ideas, and i have no idea how difficcult the implications would be.
Please give your ideas :P

Winter
So here goes my many pennies..
I played a MUD and they had a few interesting ideas to spice up pk/pve namely, Race Wars, Guild Wars "Global Quests" & Duels, but were implemented in a very interesting way.
Race Wars meant that their equivalent of Orchans/Gnomes/Draegoni/dwarf/elf/humans thought each other to be the superior race within 8 level ranges (i.e 24-32). This would be a cool pk addition that could work if we paired of P2P with a F2P race, since otherwise we wont have enough people in lower brackets, or indeed in some higher brackets. Humans & draegoni, Orcs & elves and dwarves and gnomes. 20 minute battle, and their a exp modifier had been added for the winners.
Guild wars was another kind of bracket thing in the same manner
"Global Quests" kind of are a similiar concept, but work slightly like novac but with a much more intense feeling, with level brackets. You had half an hour to kill all the beasts on a list given to you, with the zone and name of the creature given. This creature was randomly chosen out of ones already spawned, without any patterns, and usually had about half in small areas, half in a large open space, to wanderers did occur. When you killed the creatures, a message pops up telling you you killed the right one, and the mobs left to kill. Once the 1st person killed them all, a global message was given, congratulating them, and giving 5 minutes additional time for runners up, who got a lesser reward, which were both exp modifiers and plats equivalent. It makes intense competition.
Duels, your two "spots" became pk and you basically thought each other with your abilities, with no drop, and winner got a Duel win:lost ratio, for prestige. Good fun, unless your an idiot like me there an chose someone 800 levels higher than me.
You could always have a roguelike generation system for instance maps, with a fog blockin any tiles that a member hasn't come within 5 tiles off, with random bosses and mobs to kill from a level cap list, adding pure randomness and making sure even the most experienced players cant predict whats about to happen. down side is the amount of programming, but imagine how engrossing it would be if the drops of the creatures were balanced right and the maps generation was handled well. Main issue with EL instance was that it was so easy to farm if you knew what you were doing or had lots of money. Here it should simply have a half week 2 day cooldown, have some way of making it so the maps are too big or mobs too hard that it lasts more than 1-2 hours so that its a capable PvE side option during the week, instead of having to wait for the weekend invasions.
Now other strange and unconnected idea... Why not a mixer challenge, were to get through 20 rooms, you must mix an item to use on a door. No items on entry, gives you small pack and exca, and each room has a bag of many FPs, and the ings all harvestable around the room. You go in with a team of people within certain mixing level caps, and must figure out and make the item from whats in the room. Kind of a cool puzzle solving distraction for mixers, and you could have many rooms, with each having at least a few possibilities. I.e. one room with sulphur, rose, snaps, iron, coal, swamp, could need a FE, EaE, or some swords. Just a thought since i think mixers should have an equivalent.

winter
Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:44 PM
Here's a variant on quests, I'll call them Gambits, but we can call them whatever.  Here are the characteristics:
There can/should be many of them in the game.
Each one is designed for a specialized range of levels of some skill.  The first ones would probably be a/d levels, but they could exercise any skill.
Each has a specific entry point on a map
Players start this sort of quest by talking to an NPC, like traditional quests
Each gambit is designed to support a team with a maximum number of players
Once the gambit is entered, the team is ISOLATED - no one else can come in to THEIR "instance" of the quest
Some or all gambits can have time limits
Each one should be designed to be able to be finished within a reasonable amount of contiguous play time, say 1-3 hours? (If you lag out or log off  you can get back in within x minutes)
I envision gambits to be designed with a number of creatures, tasks, clues, riddles, obstacles & rewards
Creatures should be placed, but not spawned - once you kill them, they're dead.  I'm not married to that though.
the challenges therein should challenge the skill(s) being tested.
Once a player accepts the gambit, then completes it, that player cannot initiate the same one again (like non-daily quests).
Once a player initiates the gambit, other players can join (to the max allowed for the particular gambit) as long as they are within the correct skill levels, even if they have completed that one before
Any and all significant rewards should be given upon completion of the gambit, so people don't get rewards and then fail the quest so they can do it again.
All players should get some reward, but the player(s) initiating the gambit should get the major reward.
Somewhere within each gambit map, probably around the middle, should be a storage spot
There should be some random variation within each instance of the same gambit.
So, the way I see it, almost all of the aspects I noted here are part of the game in one way or another.  It's almost a cross between a quest and an instance.  Hopefully most of the work to put something like this in place would be design work, and not so much coding.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:27 PM
There are a lot of things that happen in game.  Players join the game, level up, take on quests, complete quests, buy things from NPCs, defeat powerful creatures, get killed by creatures, win and lose PVP battles, you get the idea.
Now, imagine that you are sitting in a tavern, drinking your favorite fantasy beverage and you overhear the bartender saying that an elf just bought a new serpent sword from the blacksmith.  He then talks about a party of adventurers entering the Cave of Doom to rescue Lord Folsom's daughter from the orcs.  Then he mentions a hot shot archer shooting up a bunch of monsters.
Further imagine that those rumors come from player's events in game: a purchase from an NPC, a quest (or Gambit :) ), and someone going up a level in ranging.
This sort of thing is obviously not a major game component, but it's the kind of thing that many players will have fun with - and can fill out the appeal of the game.
I further assume that implementing this sort of thing would not be overly difficult.  The way I see it, the following needs to be done:
log game events onto the server - We'd have to decide what kinds of event should go into rumors.  I think we should keep the most recent (1k?, 5k?, 10k? 1 day, 2days, 1 week?) events for rumors.
have an interface to grab one random rumor from the list on the server.
pick some NPCs that tell rumors.  I suggest at least bar tender types and maybe others.
I think game events are cool as rumors as I noted, but other rumors could be thrown in there too, perhaps hinting toward quests or other interesting things in the game.
Besides, who ever heard of a good old role playing game (with dice-n such, not on computer) without NPC rumors?!

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:51 PM
Has there been a discussion yet about having some items being bound to characters, such that the item cannot be dropped or traded?
I know, I know, sounds like voodoo, but hear me out (although I'm not committed to the idea, I see some interesting ways of using this)
Here's an example: say there was a quest that gave reward of an item of some significance.  Some quests do this now - you get an item that has to be brought somewhere and given to someone... but the player never sees it in the inventory or whatever.
With the idea of bound items in this example, the character would actually get something during part of the quest.  In order for him to complete the next step of the quest, he would have to have the item in his inventory.  That is one use of this - not terribly important because quests can currently handle this sort of thing.
Now, lets take it a step further.  This capability would allow characters to come into possession of something significant to a story line.  Ex: Winter displays extraordinary skill and fortitude - Princess Lynin bestows a special sword to him.  Story line wise, it would be a "specific" sword from the princess.  Winter then battles through a hellish tribe of denizens and thwarts numerous traps to the 9th level of The Devil's Dominion... there, on an obsidian dias rests the Shield of MacVindo!  Perhaps the it has the basic properties of an iron shield, but in addition when carried in battle it projects an area of effect Shield spell (to allies close in proximity).  
Only those who complete such-n-such will ever have possession of the item.  The item itself should have comparable power to other items in game, but may have something special.
Thereafter, some components of the game can pay attention to this - If the character visits Thelan the Sage while holding the Princess' sword, the sage is more likely to help the character because he likes Lynin... or maybe the sage is less likely to help the character because Lynin dissed him some time in the past.
This is similar in some ways to other things I have proposed such as certain recipes or whatnot that a character can get only from a particular gambit or whatever.
I think if there were these "virtually unique" items in game, players would spend potentially a lot of time and resources to get them... and the only way to get them is by meaningful game play.  Even outside of story line requirements, players will want these things.

Questions:
  1. should a character be able to willingly get rid (trash) of a bound item without it going to someone else?
  2 a) should these items take up regular inventory space and EMU?
B) if so, what happens if the character is full when recieving the item?
  3. should these items be breakable (I hope not)?

Virtually unique/special items can be awarded for quests or whatever, but not purchased.  Once bestowed upon a character, no other character will be able to get it (that one).  We can make up some magical bond to explain it - perhaps the result of a powerful bonding ritual (that characters will not be able to perform - or maybe a spell that they can eventually get???)
A character can only come into possession of a particular item once.
Each item gets it magic from or is otherwise linked to a god or otherwise powerful/magical entity (which may or may not be readily apparent to the character)
Characters cannot trade the item.
If a character drops the item, no other character can pick it up.
If the item in a dropped bag poofs, it is gone, either returned to the god or in some nether-space.  In order to recover the item, the character must petition the god, which will likely result in a costly transaction or quest.
The items can degrade.  Once degraded, they are unstable and unusable.  In order to fix the item, the character must petition the god, which will likely result in a costly transaction or quest.
These items may be offered at an altar, potentially for some godly favor (a blessing or better?).  Maybe offering at an opposing altar would cause some negative affect?
There exists the potential for simple (non-magical) unique items to be given to a character, such as in a quest "give this to so-n-so" which might follow slightly less-stringent rules... perhaps if it poofs, the char goes back to the quest NPC and gets another one

Kiwi06
Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:51 AM
View Post butler, on 09 December 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:
I am a map maker with a good Linux machine, but I have a feeling Burn will not cooperate with me.
As for enterring houses, I was thinking more on you can come in, but maybe the bedroom was locked (buy key copies from shop/gc) to give to friends, with one perma key that come with the house.
I've been really into this idea as a quest objective; a door is locked, you do the quest, you get the key. Is there any way for this to be possible? I have some really great ideas for these kinds of quests, but I don't know if it's technically possible to lock access to certain people or not. Can anyone shed  light on this?

Winter
Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:44 PM
Here's a variant on quests, I'll call them Gambits, but we can call them whatever.  Here are the characteristics:
There can/should be many of them in the game.
Each one is designed for a specialized range of levels of some skill.  The first ones would probably be a/d levels, but they could exercise any skill.
Each has a specific entry point on a map
Players start this sort of quest by talking to an NPC, like traditional quests
Each gambit is designed to support a team with a maximum number of players
Once the gambit is entered, the team is ISOLATED - no one else can come in to THEIR "instance" of the quest
Some or all Gambits can have time limits
Each one should be designed to be able to be finished within a reasonable amount of contiguous play time, say 1-3 hours? (If you lag out or log off  you can get back in within x minutes)
I envision Gambits to be designed with a number of creatures, tasks, clues, riddles, obstacles & rewards
Creatures should be placed, but not spawned - once you kill them, they're dead.  I'm not married to that though.
the challenges therein should challenge the skill(s) being tested.
Once a player accepts the gambit, then completes it, that player cannot initiate the same one again (like non-daily quests).
Once a player initiates the gambit, other players can join (to the max allowed for the particular gambit) as long as they are within the correct skill levels, even if they have completed that one before
Any and all significant rewards should be given upon completion of the gambit, so people don't get rewards and then fail the quest so they can do it again.
All players should get some reward, but the player(s) initiating the gambit should get the major reward.
Somewhere within each gambit map, probably around the middle, should be a storage spot
There should be some random variation within each instance of the same gambit.
So, the way I see it, almost all of the aspects I noted here are part of the game in one way or another.  It's almost a cross between a quest and an instance.  Hopefully most of the work to put something like this in place would be design work, and not so much coding.

AlddrA
Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:09 AM
You can accept this idea or not, just putting it out there.

My vision for the new 'IP' would be the player just appears on this new land, he sees this 'person' who says  "Hello traveler  <name>, this is your Other-Life, from here you will embark on many adventures.  You will travel many lands.  Encounter many other peoples, creatures, monsters.  In order to proceed, you must first accomplish a few tasks."
From here you can introduce the player to certain aspects of the game and complete some minor quests that would earn him some levels and some gold coin before he can get off this island.  The 'Wraith" would then be situated on the mainland at the players next landing.  The player would then be taught the placement of pick points. After this is accomplished, the player could then be sent to another NPC that would explain some history of his new world and introduce him/her to yet another NPC who could start him/her on minor quests to explore this new land.
The players progression in the game would then be measured by the quests s/he does before they can successfully move on to other tasks up to a certain degree or level.
After the basic quests are done, then the player could proceed to the other maps dependent on his levels/abilities to explore on his/her own.
Not suggesting that the whole game be a progression of quests, just at the beginning so the player can choose his path in the game according to his/her style of play.  Once <name> decides what they want to do, there could be quests that are geared to the chosen path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users