11 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:48 AM

I have yet to bring up the subject of gods in the new OL story, but I am interested in writing them in.

I think that from a questing perspective, gods are a good way to grant bonuses to skills where otherwise you couldn't explain. Experience and questing go a long way, but having the favor of a few gods on your side is a whole 'nother story.

If we're going to have god quests in the new lands, I am definitely going to look into new ways to handle them. Some people might like the "give me x amount of this and you win my favor" approach, but I would much rather prefer an actual story that can be followed in-game.

Please let me know your thoughts (if any) on gods and their place in the quest/story design.

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:03 AM

I would like to have new quests to earn the favour of gods.   You have my vote.

#3 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

+1 from me.

#4 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

In EL I was #Godless, so I wanted to run my ideas for the Story of the gods by the community to make sure it all fits in with the game. From a game-play standpoint, all I gather is that the gods were simple; one god per skill, do the quests, get the experience bonus, and you are unable to serve the enemies of that god. Do we want to keep that as a core mechanic, or should we move in a more story oriented direction? I was thinking the experience bonus is cool, so we should probably keep that as the reward for doing their quest(s).

Of course, I want to make the quests a little more story-oriented. This is where Shadow Gods seem to come in (which I really know nothing about). They seem less important to the players because they don't really come into play (I didn't even know they existed), but they are really important to the story. I want to incorporate some of this into the overall Quest/Story design, but I want peoples' thoughts on this.

Designing a pantheon for Other-Life can go a few different ways. I want to find out what the players want so we can proceed with story design for them.

Edit: So far my design for the gods goes something like this:

Each culture (race) has two gods (skills) that they favor the most. Though the gods themselves are part of a bigger story, the people of Alroth worship them for their aspects and gain those benefits. The gods are not JUST <insert skill here> junkies, but some cultures can make them out that way, and the in-game benefits will ring true to that. The god of Defense, for example, is a god of many qualities, but the dwarven people worship him as a defender of the people, and he will grant them defense experience bonuses. In this aspect, the same god might actually be worshiped by several cultures for different aspects. Take the gnomish god of crafting for example. He could be the same god that the dwarves worship as the god of manufacturing, and the same god that the humans worship as the god of engineering. These skills are about creating, and thusly could be tied to the same god. In the end, each culture will have two skills that come into play for the in-game benefits. They simply don't know or have enough piety for the other gods to mean much to their culture. So the gods and god quests will be tied to faction locations around the continent.

Each god will have quests in order to gain their favor, much like the quests in EL. These quests will be more story oriented, however. You will have to go places, create things, make sacrifices, etc, in order to go up the ranks, rather than just handing over items that you may or may not have purchased/been given from another player. These quests will probably have multiple quest givers, rather than a single priest that you keep returning to every time. You will have to discover a new priest/historian that knows how to win more of the god's favor. So far these quests consist of:
  • "Gift" Quest related to the god. Learn how to do a basic thing related to the skill. The god rewards you with skill experience. The priest rewards you with items for the skill.
  • "Learning" Quest related to the god. Reach a certain level of the skill. Complete a task using the skill. The god rewards you with bonus experience when using the skill in the future.
  • "Devotion" Quest related to the god. Challenge the player in some way, introducing a new aspect of the skill (possibly school locations), and requiring them to create/destroy. The god rewards you with an experience bonus. The Priest rewards you with items needed for the skill.
  • "Test" Quest related to the god. Make the player suffer a hardship related to the skill (breakages, critical fails, hard to come by resources). The god rewards an experience bonus.
  • "Best" Quest related to the god. Player must learn a higher tier usage of the skill (make higher level items, kill higher level things, etc). The god rewards skill experience. The priest rewards items required for higher level skill usage.
  • "Story" Quest related to the god. Player must embark on some sort of story-related quest, likely unlocking/discovering a new location related to the skill. The god rewards an experience bonus.

#5 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

*bump* edited to add my full ideas, which weren't put down to paper at the time :P

#6 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

Story like doing Seridia wine quest? <-- merged

no community input, suggestions yet?

Edited by Grimm, 21 April 2016 - 11:09 AM.
topic merged with answer

#7 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

Basically, yes, Grimm. Do a story-like quest to go up in favor. Not necessarily story driven in all cases, but story-related. I guess the priests in Seridia /probably/ gave you reasons to give them the items they wanted, but I don't quite remember that being part of it. I want to make a story you can experience, not one that you click through a single dialogue option and accidentally miss on purpose.

These topics could probably use a good merging. They are basically the same topic.

#8 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Kiwi, your link isn't working

#9 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:39 AM

The topic I linked to is now merged with this one. That link doesn't exist anymore.

#10 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

Bump for input?

#11 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

The probably easiest is to continue the way gods influence the game play at the moment. This will eventually mean to move the temples and their priests over to Alroth, possibly with different quests though. That might be then also the point where different rewards could be naturally added.

I think the main question is how abstract gods should remain. Should they physically appear, should they meddle directly into the doings of the world?

Things which I could imagine is that serving a god enables/restricts access to locations like temples/resources or using skills. This would enable specialization. But I am not very fond to push that idea much further than it is at this time. I do not know how different from EL OL handles the benefits, so I am unable to comment.
But my guess is that a focus could be on balancing the benefits and introducing more items (at this time I am only aware of the tit-chain which can be bought from Aluwen priest) or services which require serving a good

#12 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the input BK. As with most design elements, we want to figure out the changes involved with regards to Alroth before we make the change to phase out Seridia. Any new changes will be for Alroth specifically. In most cases no effort will be made to change the way Seridia works unless it is something that will be in Alroth.

Gods are an element in the game that I assume Learner will want to keep. This is a proposal to change the way we handle god "quests", since before it was simply hand in item and get reward, which I won't be doing if I'm writing new quests for Alroth.

Lots of nuance can be added to many aspects of the game, and god quests are a place where we can add said nuance. Added benefits are something that we'll definitely look into once we figure out more about what the community would like to see. Access to new areas/resources is a thing I'd like to tie to many quests, not just the gods. That's something we'll have to figure out (and convince L to create the ability to do) for a lot of things in Alroth.

Edit: About gods' affairs and physical manifestations - I'm not one for that kind of fantasy. Greek mythology definitely makes their gods seem real and physically encounter-able, but were they really? Did anyone ever actually encounter them, or were they all just legends and folk tales? That's more in tune with my storytelling style. You will probably never see the gods in the flesh, but there are enough stories, myths, and legends about them that they are very much a part of the world. The people believe in these gods, and will fight for their beliefs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users