#1 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:36 AM

Hey,
If you do not already know, I am part of the Editorial Team that is helping create new quests for Alroth!

In this thread, I will be showing you sneak peeks about what I am working on so stay tuned Posted Image

To Be Looked At
  • Empty Vial Quest (mid priority)
  • Potential Special Day Stones (low priority)
  • God Quests (low priority)
  • Daily Quests (mid priority)
  • 1 Lothend Quest (mid priority)
  • 2 Braigor Quests (mid priority)
  • 1 Aldath Quest (mid priority)
  • 1 Secret Quest (low priority)
Working On
  • Roths Haven - Tutorial (high priority)
Suggestions

#2 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thank you Codux,

please no spoilers though, am sure community can help you with suggestions.

#3 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hey,

I have started up with quest creation again, due to lots of spare time on my hands.
Been in talk with various people and can say that there are some really exciting ideas and content I am working on! While you may not see them in game for the time being, they will be thought out, made and fleshed out ready to go straight in as soon as the current quest hardcode is replaced with the new quest code.
I have currently been working on my first quest which is targeted towards the newbies of OL once they have arrived in Lothend after leaving new IP. Once it is finished, we'll have our first NEW quest ready for when the new quest code is implement!

Exciting times ahead!

#4 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Is there an unofficial OL fan page where we can by pass all the bull with "new secrets" quest details in OL, and read up on how amazing and fun the game really is without having to wander around lost for days/months clicking on shit to find them?

PS I  like spoilers it means i can play the game instead of getting frustrated because I am not a joker hunter type player. At times it is just cool to read how clever the map makers/quest developers have been before logging in to the game and taking a single step to check them out. if that makes sense?

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

View Postohmygod, on 05 April 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Is there an unofficial OL fan page where we can by pass all the bull with "new secrets" quest details in OL, and read up on how amazing and fun the game really is without having to wander around lost for days/months clicking on shit to find them?

PS I  like spoilers it means i can play the game instead of getting frustrated because I am not a joker hunter type player. At times it is just cool to read how clever the map makers/quest developers have been before logging in to the game and taking a single step to check them out. if that makes sense?
Here is a spoiler, there will be new quests available soon.

#6 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

Well der

#7 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:36 AM

Agree with Timmy, we do need quests, but they need to be fun puzzles that are easy to solve.   There could also be quests that are ongoing to actually progress as the game and lands progress(would that be possible?)

How about skill quests specifically geared to Other-Life new lands.  Thinking some quests will need to wait until we have new items though.

Is this response even on the right thread?

#8 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

Sneak peek on what I'm working on

Posted Image

#9 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:28 PM

So guys, I've currently up to writing the main tutorial for new players on Roths Haven.

There are currently two ways we can go about this which I will post here. Feedback is crucial!

Option #1 The Tutorial is played out by talking to Guru Gary, who will tell you how to use the interface and client, how to do skills, how to do attributes etc

Pros:
- You don't go anywhere, everything is done right there and then by NPC, you may have to walk a tiny bit but pretty much the tutorial is done within the port.
- Guru Gary (true to his name) is a guru. he knows everything so it is fitting that he should be the one to teach how to play the game.

Cons:
There is no real need for the player to go out and explore the map. Who knows what secrets or interesting things the player may find?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Option #2 Is similar to option #1. You talk to Guru Gary, who will tell you how to use the interface and client and attributes etc. However, when it comes to skills, he will ask you to explore the map and find the 'Skill Masters' of each skill that are spread out around RH. They in turn, will teach you the basics of their skill before moving on to the next one.

Pros:
- The player will be made to go out and walk around, exploring Roths Haven. This promotes the games eyecandy, and gets the play to be more inquisitive.
- The player will learn a more thorough understanding of each skill from the 'Skill Masters'.

Cons:
- There is a lot of walking around and players who don't want to do that, will be forced to too much since the map is pretty big for a tutorial island. This may deter new players from playing more.

Whatever the choice is, I have plans for said Skill Masters to be placed around Roths Haven anyway for future quests. If anybody has another idea, please present it here.

I would like feedback on this before moving on with dialogue for the NPC's/Guru Gary please.

CoduX

#10 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the update! Love to see feedback from community!

Regards
Z

#11 patriot

patriot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:13 AM

I think the issue is some people enjoy the exploring aspect, others don't. I am more like omg (reading back on posts from a few years ago) I would rather just fight or train instead of exploring. I would rather look at a wiki than try to figure out how to make something or where an npc is located. So usually in quests in the other game I would just click through till I got the reward, never reading the npc chat. But I know that's not what everyone wants.

But still option 2 would probably be best for new players

#12 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:00 AM

Option 2. (skill masters)

Would like to see newbie players who complete the skill master starter quests walk out of RH with at least 30-40 OA,  Pick points in OL is what makes doing things a crap load easier at low levels.

Encourage not discourage should be the motto of OL from the outset.

#13 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

Option 2

When are you planning on continuing with the quest writing? Have you talked to L? Does he have the code ready for it?

#14 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 02 October 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Option 2

When are you planning on continuing with the quest writing? Have you talked to L? Does he have the code ready for it?
Of course I don't have the code ready yet! I keep preparing it for quests and a big step will be to have a good completed Quest Outline to see what additional gaps need to be filled in. It's a matter of prioritizing what features need to be added when.

Don't forget that I'm rewriting how Quests in OL will work from scratch so I can delete a bunch of EL stuff that is fragile.

#15 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

What kind of quest outline will you need L? Will a quest like say the Alchemy starter quest work?

#16 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

View PostAlddrA, on 02 October 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

What kind of quest outline will you need L? Will a quest like say the Alchemy starter quest work?
Needs to be very detailed and complete, so I can go through it to see what I would need to implement to make it possible. I can't supply specifications for how to write a Quest since there are entire portions not yet written (like how to actually put Quest stuff on an NPC).

Of course after the first couple, the the Quest Writer or an IM would have to take over the responsibility of changing the written Quest into a .def the Server would accept, and work with me when it looks like the Quest might not be possible with the current specs. How Quests get into the server is still fluid and a work in progress after all.

#17 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

Option 2

Extremely busy with irl work atm..we just hired 22 new people and I'm in charge of 10 of them teaching the new ways so ETA is unknown when I can return

#18 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:16 AM

View PostCoduX, on 03 October 2019 - 02:28 AM, said:

Option 2

Extremely busy with irl work atm..we just hired 22 new people and I'm in charge of 10 of them teaching the new ways so ETA is unknown when I can return

Busy is good...just don't let your job take over your life. Been there, done that! :)

Z

Oh...we'll take whatever you've done to date :)

#19 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

SAWolf and I, (well mostly SAW)  are working on a quest to get basic gear for the player up to a Small Pack.  The quest will either be harvesting or killing mobs depending on the option the player chooses.

Your suggestions for NPCs would be greatly appreciated Codux.

#20 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

People also need to remember while these Quests are being written, I'm forcing them to avoid totally how EL quests are written, and instead have to enhance the OL code to meet their neededs. As I've said befoe, there are main problems with how EL writes their Quests that I'm working to resolve while they are being created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users