26 replies to this topic

#21 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

My first go at this thing so be kind...any comments of how to write it properly much appreciated.. Is a very simple quest I know...

omg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bouncing Inn
Location: You are in Alroth:Dwarven Lands - Rhoelind Insides [near 19,124] Tavern
NPC quest giver: Aigor

Background story:
A group of burly pirates have been making a ruckus in the back room. The tavern keeper wants them removed.
Player can choose the way to rid them from the tavern.
Option 1: Kill them - Awards bonus a/d xp
Option 2: Poison their food and drink with shrooms. Awards bonus harvest xp
Option 3: Run away!! get nothing

Story text:
You see the bar keep glancing worriedly towards the door that leads into the back room.

Player choices:
1. "What is wrong, you look very worried can i help you?"
    Story text:
    "Hi there stranger, thank you for asking. I have had a unruly group of customers that have been here all day drinking and eating. I have just asked them to pay their
    bill. I am afraid to say they dont want to pay and have threatened to kill me. I fear for my life. I built this tavern to try and make a bit of gc
    for my family and myself to live on. Can you help me?"

Player choices:
        1 Yes -
        Story Text:"Thank you thank you. I was at my wits end i have been hoping someone would come to help me with these brutes. Are you skilled enough to kill them or can you help me to
                gather the poison shrooms that I need to get rid of them once and for all?"

Player choices:
                    1. "Me and my trusty sword will make short work. Let me at them!"
                        Record choice and Trigger event - Spawn 5 mobs in back room. Event/Quest ends when all mobs are dead.
                            Option to cancel/despawn mobs and try poison quest line when player next speaks to Aigor again Text: "Did you kill them yet?"
                                Player choices:
                                Yes : Check if mobs are dead IF YES award bonus a/d xp IF NO THEN show text "I can still hear them are you as scared of them as me?
                                    Player choices:
                                    Yes: Despawn mobs  Text: "Well lets just poison them instead" continue... open player choice 2 dialog Poison text
                                    No : "well get to work then!" option close window
                                    I give up: Despawn mobs award no xp restart quest line
                                 No : Text "Well get back to it then!".

2. Poison Shrooms, tell me more.
                        Record choice
                        Text:"The herbs are found in the cave under the stone platform in the center of this map. (give map coords to RD cave entry)
                        You must "use" the hole in the side of the platform. Beware there are rumors it is a dangerous place. Go inside
                        and harvest me 20 toadstools from the middle cave and bring them back to me."
                            Track that Player harvests 20 red toadstool from loc (to be provided) SHOW window at harvest location when quest complete (similar to Haidir quest completion popup)
                            Player returns to NPC with red shrooms in inventory.
                                  Show Story Text:"Ah very nice I hope the Dragon was no problem for you, Do you have the red shrooms?

Player choices:
                                Yes - check to see if quest critera complete and that player has shrooms in inv
                                    IF YES then:
                                    Text "Well done give them to me" Remove shrooms from player INV.
                                        Text "I will use them to make a bottle of poisoned wine, give me a few minutes"
                                            Text: "Ah all is done, now to give these ruffians their just deserts *manic chuckling*
                                            Quest complete award Bonus harvest xp

IF NO then
                               Text "You dont have them!, the herbs are found in the cave under the stone platform in the center of this map. (give map coords to RD cave entry)
                                    You must "use" the hole in the side of the platform. Remember there are rumors it is a dangerous place. Go inside

No - Show text :The herbs are found in the cave under the stone platform in the center of this map. (give map coords to RD cave entry)
                           You must "use" the hole in the side of the platform. Remember there are rumors it is a dangerous place. Go inside

2 No - Trigger Open normal sell window

2. Say nothing and order a drink. Trigger Open normal sell window

#22 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Forgot to add in above post the pirates didn't have the gc to pay the inn keeper due to spending it all on their fancy clothes and glowy swords

#23 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

Not a bad quest omg, needs more dialogue though, but nice start!

#24 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

You need to think about what happens if the server needs to be restarted or the player either grues or is grabbed by RL ... might be several days before they are back. What happens then if other players are trying to do it?

You also need to be thinking about unusual things that might happen while a Quest is running, not just simple concencept of ope player going through it quickly, or it breaks quickly.

#25 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

At the moment if the server restarts do the settings for players RTG's reset?

So a team does an RTG...doom server crashes....same team does RTG again? Is this possible currently?

#26 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

Why not do a invance/instance map for quests? similar look to the TGMS one with lots of rooms/areas on the samee map, various npcs quest givers could tele player to relevant section and exit point could take player back to their start location. NPC could have option to "reset" quest if any thing bugs out.

I note that EL has quest mobs spawn like normal, but would be great if in OL we could have quest spawn a mob that accounts for the level of the player rather than have them chase around wood sprites at level 100 just to complete a quest. eg player CL 180 spawn a level 200 mob for the quest if it is aa kill quest type, could have rooms that have harvestables with low food use for mixing/harvesting quests etc. Quests can then be repeatable but more difficult each time.

ADD:
Correct me if i am wrong but i see an "instance map" as a map where it is the same map, but there are multiple instances of it eg 10 players could be on the same map but cant see each other because it is instanced for them only. in wow 1000s of groups could be running the same dungeon at the same time but will not see each other.

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

To have 10 players each not seeing each other and not getting in each others way means literally having 10 maps existing fully in the server as well as 10 sets of mobs and NPC's and anything else on map. Would be 10 .def's and one .elm, but the server would up reading & loading the .elm 10 times (or how every many times is the max allowed for that one map).

Still doesn't solve issues if someone starts the Quest and the logs out or Grues, yet the map would stay unusable by anyone until some sort of time limit cancels & resets it, so many more then 10 may be needed even!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users