32 replies to this topic

#21 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

You are both doing great work in improving OL......hats off to both Zian and Kiwi \o/

#22 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

Here is a copy/paste from the Spawn Locations document I've been doing.

Teleport rings: First Draft
Teleport rings are magical rings created by crafters to get you to a location faster. Usually they are tied to a convenient location as dictated by the local government. Some locations do not have Rings associated with them.

Dwarven Lands: In the Dwarven Lands, Rings were originally created by Gnomes after learning the secrets of teleportation magic from the Draegoni. Today, crafting magical rings is a privilege granted by the High King of Thunder Mountain. Since their locations are very compromising, not many are granted access to the books required to learn the craft (the book seller is inside Thunder Mountain).

Map 24 - Lothend: [242,88]

Map 25 - Aldath: [245,180]

Map 23 - Alkh-Endune: [260,191]

Map 26 - Thalendale: [140,110]

8]Map 27 - Zerimor: None. Typically people go to the town in Drakensbane.

8]Map 13 - Drakensbane: [83,258]

8]Map 12 - Valunde: Valunde Underground (Under the Mountains in the South)

8]Map 4 - Glingor: None? [44,237] Due to the trade Embargo with the Human Kingdom and the threat of war, rings to the port here are not allowed, and books are not allowed to be sold (but perhaps they might come at a high price for the right buyer).

8]Map 2 - Rhoelind: None. The magical link to the old teleport location has been severed, and a new one has not been established or needed.

8]Map 14 - Morog: [214,248] (if there is an outside storage at this location, the Ring coords will have to be moved further away)

8]Map 22 - Braigor: [151,273]

8]Map xx - Thunder Mountain Ground Level: [171,199] (middle of map), or [87,200] (West side, near Main Entrance), or [46,311] (near market/storage)

Teleport rooms: Undetermined. Available to players? Possible quest objective or only available sometimes/certain maps?

On Alroth, Teleportation rooms and circles are the privy of the Draegoni. They used their magic to get to the continent and likewise used teleportation rooms and circles to travel great distances across Alroth. Every map has a portal exit.

Dwarven Lands: In the Dwarven Lands, Teleportation rooms typically land in locations further away from civilization since the Draegoni often planned to rally and move armies to nearby cities. People still maintain the stigma of the teleportation locations, and tend not to be associated with them. Over the years the Dwarves have developed defensive positions in order to quell a possible invasion via magical portals.

Map 24 - Lothend: [117,246]

Map 25 - Aldath: [159,213]

8]Map 23 - Alkh-Endune: [183,215]
Map 26 - Thalendale: [224,225]

8]Map 27 - Zerimor: [187,258]

8]Map 13 - Drakensbane: [259,262]

8]Map 12 - Valunde: [177,85]

8]Map 4 - Glingor: [277,293]

8]Map 2 - Rhoelind: [166,184]

8]Map 14 - Morog: [166,144]

8]Map 22 - Braigor: [253,230]

8]Map xx - Thunder Mountain Ground Level: None (underground map)

#23 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Sounds like a lot of rings, considering this is only the dwarven lands

#24 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

I agree...with 55++ continental maps you could have 100s of rings

#25 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

Remember, not every map needs a ring. Need to think about each land and the continent as a whole. Just like not every map may not get a Portal either

#26 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostLearner, on 20 May 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Sounds like a lot of rings, considering this is only the dwarven lands

8/11 Maps have Rings. Seridia has 6/14. But when you look at landmass (map sizes), Seridia and the Dwarven Lands are about the same. I am also not sure about why certain maps don't have rings? Or why certain ones do? This is why I was asking for your guidelines, L ^_^

We can certainly change/add/remove these. It is only a first draft. Just let me know what your criteria are for Ring and Portal exits :)

View PostLearner, on 20 May 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Remember, not every map needs a ring. Need to think about each land and the continent as a whole. Just like not every map may not get a Portal either

From a story perspective I have laid out these locations. But that can be changed to suit other needs. Every map in Seridia has a portal, so I figured that's what the general rule was.

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

Every map having a portal is simply how EL decided to do it. Same with the rings, at one time very few maps had rings and there were no portals in EL. Finding the right balance is part of what has to be done in the planning, not for me to be laying down the law. Plus you have to be thinking of the entire continent, keeping the same ration for the number of maps with rings is a lot of rings. From the story side, which maps are important enough to have a ring created can be considered.

#28 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Generic game balance is hard to understand without guidelines. That's why I was asking if you had any beforehand. There isn't a problem with drafting it and seeing if you like it. It's just that it's easier to get it really close the first time if we know a bit more about what the game balance should be, rather than retracting and redrafting based on new criteria.

I don't know if portals on all maps is balanced or not. I just assumed it was because you have to use the magic skill. If not, we could perhaps try to remove some. I was thinking about this for a couple of maps.

Since you seem to be more keen on having less rings, we can also remove some of them that are less important.

#29 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

One way to consider balancing is prioritizing anf starting with th high priority rings, then later we can activate more of them. Just a pain to remove rings for a map once they are in game.

#30 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

I updated the file to trim down the number of maps with rings/portals. Using story I've basically made it to where only higher populated areas (towns, trade areas, etc) have rings and lower populated areas (wilds, unfavorable land, etc) have portals.

Now there are 6/11 maps with rings and 7/11 maps with portals (6/11 if need be). Any more than that and I believe the story will lose too much integrity.

#31 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

Bump. I'd like to get these figured out and put into DL before release. I can easily create visual files using the PNGs from MapTool if needed.

Zian, any plans for a DL (or Alroth) portals room?

Overall I like the design of having one fast way to get to a map (either a portal or a ring) and being limited in your options if you are only a mage or only a crafter. Any other input on this?

#32 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

My preference for changing maps of course is portals....but if we don't have a portal to a certain map, then it should at least have a ring.   There are also boats if neither are available.   My preference would be portal to every map.  :P :)

#33 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

There should be some maps without portals. Roleplaying/History is part of what should determine which ones have it or not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travel, teleport, rings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users