10 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

Lots of games have many types of quests one can embark on. I haven't done many of the quests in Eternal Lands (I played long ago when there weren't many quests at all) and many of Other-Life's quests are broken due to changed mechanics or removal of Irillion or NPCs.

When coming up with quest ideas we are limited on what we can do because of the game's quest mechanics. From what I see there are 6 different things to do during a quest that move the quest forward:

1. Interact with an NPC or object.
2. Give item(s) to an NPC.
3. Harvest a specific harvestable.
4. Kill a specific creature.
5. Craft an item while next to an NPC.  
6. Break an item.
7. Drop item(s) in a bag then interact with object/NPC.

Besides these interactions, are there any other ways currently to progress a quest? I need ideas (and facts) about this so I can create storyline and quests that are possible in the current system. New interactions for quests and the ideas that follow is something for another topic.

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Don't think of it as being limited by the current Quest mechanics. Think of wanting to define what the new mechanics should be since the current Quest setup is scheduled to be trashed.

#3 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

Of course, Learner. But that is not really the subject of this post. I assume the old talk/give/harvest/kill/craft objectives will still exist in the new system. I want to create quests that will be implemented sooner rather than later. Once we have updated mechanics, we can implement those complicated quest objectives. But for now the only way to actually complete a quest write up is to have real completable objectives.

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

I was just more talking about attitude and point of view so you don't accidentally limit yourself in thinking on it.

#5 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thanks. Don't worry about that! If you haven't seen, I have lots of story prepared already. And lots of my ideas hinge on things that don't really exist yet, but we are severely in need of (party system, reputation system, etc).

The trick is translating it all into in-game quests, which, if I can learn more about, I can churn out some quests that could be put into the game/test like once per week. As it is I haven't been able to create a quest yet, mostly from lack of format.

Let's veer back to the topic please :)
What other types of quest progression are there?

#6 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

There are tiered quests, similar to the tutorial where you would have to prove yourself in various skills.   You have outlined most types of quests there are at the beginning of the forum topic.  There is also find something for the npc and what about deciphering a riddle? Indeed, what other types are there?

#7 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

Leaving items on ground in a bag (such as leather quest) is another mechanic.

#8 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

How does that work? I don't remember that at all in the leather quest o.o

Edit: Ah! Thanks Wizzy! I forgot all about that. This is exactly what I was looking for. NPCs recognizing things in bags is a really big deal. Even better if they can recognize amounts like that. Very cool.

#9 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

You need to drop yellow roses for Kelcha, and minor healing pots at statue base iirc.

#10 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

I wonder how that works... It seems really complicated lol. Underutilized :o

#11 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

I have no idea, I would guess it is hardcoded into the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users