29 replies to this topic

#21 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

Zero chance of getting away is a bit crazy imo. But apparently that's what Grimm wants everywhere. There has to be a middle ground here we can agree on.

Also think about lag. When it comes to large groups of mobs I tend to resync and lag even though I have a gaming PC with a top-notch Internet connection and 60 ping. If I enter a room full of mobs with no grace period there is actually a chance that I literally don't get to see what killed me. I'm in the underworld.

Also take into consideration that maps are sometimes crafted very badly without camera angles in mind and I can't even look around or do anything before getting murdered.

Walking through a door and ending up in the underworld is not only frustrating for whiners. It is also bad for newbs, noobs, and people who want to see something reasonable in the game play. If invasions are strictly for pr0s, you'll see more of us afk than active during the weekends. I'm so casual that I typically explain to people that I don't actually play this game, I just logged in to chat.

#22 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Agree with having a 2-3 second delay even in same map if going through a door with a room full of mobs.

#23 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:26 AM

Mostly I just think we need a second or two to account for lag and camera turning (and other UI noob) functions. More than that would make it a freebie function for every room similar to the way we completely abuse TD. I don't like the way we abuse TD - it makes no sense. But the grace period is necessary for PK.

#24 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

I really like the idea of using the eye on doors, especially with the idea of getting somewhat incomplete information in form of learning only about the rough amount, size, weight, and maybe number of legs of the mob, all depending on your perception. Maybe, you should also learn about whether there is already fighting going on inside ...

With respect to flags, I also think you should be able to really see what you will be getting into no matter what. Those flags are just there because it is impractical to have one large map. A similar reasoning holds for boats. When the shore is full of big scary mob, which captain in his/her right mind would land his/her ship on shore? The 5s rule seems appropriate to rectify those issues. Caves entrances or ladders would actually fall for me into a similar category as flags/boats. Note: if you are inattentive or ill prepared, 5s often are too brief of a grace period to escape.

Doors, however, should not fall into the category of flags and I feel there should be a much shorter grace period so that only careful entering will give you chance.

Rings and teleports is a somewhat different matter. One could argue that mob need some reaction time to attack you when somebody just pops up next to them.

I also want to also point out something which has not been brought up so far (at least I believe so): the 5s rule is "abused" for retrieving DBs close to the flag. Honestly, I think this is ok for the following reasons:
1) retrieving a bag near a flag is not without risk, at least for me. It is not uncommon to fail for whatever reason (misclick because of too many mobs, etc) and as a consequence dropping more stuff.
2) the fact that a mob piles up in one map and on the other map it is perfectly safe is not very realistic (for this we have hordes). This makes it often difficult to start clearing a map. Being able to retrieve your bag offsets this.

Finally, there is a way to enter maps safely not using invisibility. It is somewhat awkward, but rather effective: just drop your stuff before you enter and pick it up after a brief visit to UW or if the map was safe enough just switch back. I'd rather have this method not be the norm. Its just annoying... and seems more abusive to me than exploiting the 5s rule to check out maps or retrieve DBs.

#25 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

Lmao. The "leave your important stuff on the other side and get it when you come back from the underworld" method is quite amusing, if not ridiculously outside of role-play. But then again...our characters must have figured it out by now...that when we die we can just walk out of hell and go back to our lives. So maybe it works perfectly fine in this crazy ass game world we're living in xD

#26 SimAnt

SimAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostBlakKat, on 03 August 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

Finally, there is a way to enter maps safely not using invisibility. It is somewhat awkward, but rather effective: just drop your stuff before you enter and pick it up after a brief visit to UW or if the map was safe enough just switch back. I'd rather have this method not be the norm. Its just annoying... and seems more abusive to me than exploiting the 5s rule to check out maps or retrieve DBs.
I used to do this, but it is kinda hard now when mobs respawn during the invasion, fighting your way back to where you dropped your bag could take too long. If i really wanted to, then every time i was about to enter a door, I could walk back to storage and get undressed, walk back, enter and potentially die. And decide if i want to equip and go in. I really would prefer not to do this.

#27 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostKiwi06, on 01 August 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

Zero chance of getting away is a bit crazy imo. But apparently that's what Grimm wants everywhere. There has to be a middle ground here we can agree on.

Not true, All I saying is there are very few maps  that were not built with 5 second rule in mind.  Every other map has that feature.

And stated I agree with a way to get a feeling of what might be on the other side.

These maps that have the no 5 second feature are going to be obsolete,  But new maps may make use of this feature in the future.

example, CM, before going from troll hall to next room, there is a spot you can stand and see red dots at the door,  If I were to intentionally make use of this in an actual event like the set up had in magic school, I would want the map with door to allow seeing these red dots while standing next to the door.  

FYI I was testing TG Magic School with features for a possible dungeon, which wouldn't have doors, and be split with individual areas in which mobs can't wander.  More like zones.  ++ if there were doors in one of the events maps, it would be more like a door say at entrance to wsc, which you could see on other side overhead.  TG Magic School was only map currently available in which allowed distance to prevent farming of possible bosses and where bosses happen to spawn.

Sorry I could only work with what we have available.

#28 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

Was informed this week, more maps than my liking on Seridia with no map change going in blindly.

Although when mentioned, they are maps I least like to invade, We seldom invade these maps, and we try to take care if and when invading on those maps.  Yes we all forget sometimes. or do an oops, no one is perfect.  But for the most part, it's the experiences that assist us in this remembrance.

This is another example of where we will need the communities help in reviewing the maps as stages of the new continent comes out.  Please take note of these spots.  So that we can check on the design that's intended.

#29 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostGrimm, on 03 August 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostKiwi06, on 01 August 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

Not true, All I saying is there are very few maps  that were not built with 5 second rule in mind.  Every other map has that feature.

And stated I agree with a way to get a feeling of what might be on the other side.

These maps that have the no 5 second feature are going to be obsolete,  But new maps may make use of this feature in the future.

example, CM, before going from troll hall to next room, there is a spot you can stand and see red dots at the door,  If I were to intentionally make use of this in an actual event like the set up had in magic school, I would want the map with door to allow seeing these red dots while standing next to the door.  

FYI I was testing TG Magic School with features for a possible dungeon, which wouldn't have doors, and be split with individual areas in which mobs can't wander.  More like zones.  ++ if there were doors in one of the events maps, it would be more like a door say at entrance to wsc, which you could see on other side overhead.  TG Magic School was only map currently available in which allowed distance to prevent farming of possible bosses and where bosses happen to spawn.

Sorry I could only work with what we have available.

View PostGrimm, on 06 August 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Was informed this week, more maps than my liking on Seridia with no map change going in blindly.

Although when mentioned, they are maps I least like to invade, We seldom invade these maps, and we try to take care if and when invading on those maps.  Yes we all forget sometimes. or do an oops, no one is perfect.  But for the most part, it's the experiences that assist us in this remembrance.

This is another example of where we will need the communities help in reviewing the maps as stages of the new continent comes out.  Please take note of these spots.  So that we can check on the design that's intended.

TM4 needs a way to see how many mobs on internal map change before the change, (mini map info dots for the other side of the door/cave arch?) or at least a 2-3 sec CD for any new map. Can this be fixed in any new maps being developed if using that method of map change please?

#30 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Edited my above comment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users