• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

I currently hold donations in my inventory.  And it is a pain to keep notes and referencing to ensure I do not accidentally dip into donations.

I propose adding a merchant on a map unavailable to other players.
  • I'm the only one in guild
  • would ensure no abuse as a merchant bot
We could name it Contest Prizes and would be avail for community to view current status of contest donations etc through web access.
This way it is out of my inventory, view-able status to public, not able to sell to players for abuse, Maybe more donations with it view-able?.

negative: Currently only I would be able to add/remove to this npc.  Don't plan to add anyone to the guild, (open to add just active main IM's)

Remember only a temporary fix/proposal....   Ideally what I would like to see is an npc in which any player can donate to, All IM's have access to withdrawal for contest, log to view donations and withdrawals.   But this would require whole new code and current restrictions do not allow (why also suggesting places on an inaccessible map).

let me know your thoughts

Grimm

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

I am in agreement with this solution to having a prize bot. :D

Could other IM's have access too then whether they belong to your (non) guild or not? :huh:

#3 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostAlddrA, on 29 November 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

I am in agreement with this solution to having a prize bot. :D

Could other IM's have access too then whether they belong to your (non) guild or not? :huh:

That does vary, depends on how busy I am.  Being in an un-accessible map that only IM's can access, I could set merchant sell pricing to 1 gc (currently lowest amount possible) allowing other IM's not in my guild to withdrawal for contest.

Also why a temporary fix.   And respectfully allows IM's choice to stay in their guilds.  Being you need to be in the guild to deposit/withdrawal.

I propose 1 bot for view of inventory of 1 place under webaccess.  Only reasons why I suggest under my guild is to not put more work on L until it becomes a priority.  And in past there has been stated that others thought guilds had advantage and favoritism with IM's being within a guild.  (why I went guild-less) To prevent accusations towards me for that.  I propose the bot under my guild because I haven't added any other members to guild nor set up guild to allow others to join. (don't plan to unless another active main IM wishes to join knowing I plan not to invite anyone not IM on main)  And yes negative effects to me(my choice) because of no tag name.

#4 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

I think this is a great solution to Grimm's issue.  Its also an excellent use of the *amazing* work L has done improving both the Web Access & NPC merchant inventory management/transaction history.   I have no worries with introducing another merchant NPC somewhere on DL (why hide out on an unaccessible map?) That way, any player could interact with the NPC and see it's inventory.  The web access portion for this merchant npc's inventory *still* seems like a premium option to me - seeing all of the event prizes via web access seems is a luxury, players can visit the NPC in game if they want to see the prize list but don't have premium, AND we do need more incentive for players to get premium.

This is a good idea... the only drawback with the system as it is CURRENTLY is that the NPC has to be tied to a guild.  and although Grimm is willing to use his own guild, without tag and without members...  This is where Wizzy's pro-free trade suggestions would've shined - if NPC merchants didn't *have* to be attached to a guild.

D

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostDueCE, on 29 November 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

we do need more incentive for players to get premium.
Still waiting on these "VIP maps" that are advertised when buying premium :P

#6 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

The NPC has to be tied to a guild? I'm not quite sure that is a real limitation. But I do think special coding would be needed for a donation NPC.

The only caveat for me would be that we should give it a real name rather than a generic "Contest Prizes". But everyone probably knows by now how obnoxious I am on that point.

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostKiwi06, on 29 November 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

The NPC has to be tied to a guild? I'm not quite sure that is a real limitation. But I do think special coding would be needed for a donation NPC.

The only caveat for me would be that we should give it a real name rather than a generic "Contest Prizes". But everyone probably knows by now how obnoxious I am on that point.
Sometimes function wins over role-playing, so that in an instant people know what it is.

#8 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

In most games they would have a name and a separate tag below that which would indicate what kind of NPC they are. You can optionally hide the name or tag, or both. Doesn't seem possible with our setup though. The name would be very long if both were included :(

Then we ought to change the Lottery Ticket guy and the GIWS guy and the Repairs guy, no? Otherwise we lose consistency.

#9 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:14 AM

Except this isn't something thats part of the game but an external support function, while GIWS & Tankel are part of the game itself and are intended to interact with players.

#10 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

It's not part of the game unless you make it part of the game. I much enjoy having an actual reason for NPCs to exist without breaking the fourth wall. But I understand we have combative personalities in that sense lol.

In D&D we use a lot of the same types of things, but when it's disguised as a story it gives an illusion of seamless reality that real roleplayers crave ;)

#11 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:25 AM

2 things, cannot add it into available for people to see whats on the merchant.  I would have to add a price Lowest possible so other IM's can withdrawal and use prizes for contest.  Also setting prices means Someone else could buy the items.  IE arti cape 1gc.   Even setting prices extremely High would defeat the purpose to make accessible to other IM's to collect items and do a contest, plus people who have the gc could still purchase the item.

note this NPC would be available to see only through web access.  The NPC would not be available for people to talk to in game to find out what he/she is all about.  Thus why thinking Contest Prizes to differentiate this npc from the rest of the Merchants in game on the web access merchant list.

#12 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostGrimm, on 30 November 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

2 things, cannot add it into available for people to see whats on the merchant.  I would have to add a price Lowest possible so other IM's can withdrawal and use prizes for contest.  Also setting prices means Someone else could buy the items.  IE arti cape 1gc.   Even setting prices extremely High would defeat the purpose to make accessible to other IM's to collect items and do a contest, plus people who have the gc could still purchase the item.

note this NPC would be available to see only through web access.  The NPC would not be available for people to talk to in game to find out what he/she is all about.  Thus why thinking Contest Prizes to differentiate this npc from the rest of the Merchants in game on the web access merchant list.

Thanks for the clarification. But if it's not in-game, how do you give/receive items from it?

#13 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

It will be in game, but only in a map accessible by IM's

#14 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostLearner, on 30 November 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

Still needs roleplay reason.

lol jk

#15 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostKiwi06, on 30 November 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostLearner, on 30 November 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

Still needs roleplay reason.

lol jk
#ban kiwi06

#16 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

ouch, you really peeved him off Kiwi

#17 Kinreth

Kinreth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like a good idea. I would like to see something everyone could donate to.
If it is going to take a lot of extra coding that none has time for atm, In the meantime, I don’t see any reason not to just make a new player character instead of a bot. For Kiwi’s sake we can call him Warehouzer. Give all IMs the password. When something needs to be donated whatever IM is on at the time can log him in and take donation. Whenever a prize is needed The IM can log him in and hand out the prize. Inventory would be easy check and would no require any special configuration like present NPCs. Ou could give it God mode so it could teleport wherever it need to be.

#18 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

That is a great idea Kin! :D :) :lol:

#19 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Then you get into the issue of flags and actions for multi-character trading.  (auto-bann IM's ftw :wacko: )

Yes this option is temporary until new coding of a whole new NPC and the features to enable utilizing code are coded first.

This isn't a priority, just a convenience. allows all IM's access to prizes for events, especially if another is too busy in dev or RL to organize hosting events.  New merchant code allows the community to see on web_access.  Could result in suggest of such events based on donations currently donated.  New code also allows to view a history of whom removes these Community donated items to prevent abuse or favoritism.

#20 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

*bump*

Need more feedback before can think about possibly implementing this idea.

Today's update shows http://game.other-li...ricted/npcs.php

This plus logs will help to ensure community knows whats available for prizes for events and to ensure accountability.

The logs will show which IM withdrew item from the bot.

This allows accountability of prizes, Because the IM that withdrew the item is the responsible party. And can answer for what event and whom the prize was given to.   And the winner can confirm.

Edited by Grimm, 09 December 2016 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users