It's actually a lot more complicated then you make it sound.
GIWS can't give any reliable warning because between the time of the warning things can change that can prevent the spawning. It also wouldn't have any idea of where either since what & where is determined during the spawning. You could even get multiple warnings, sometimes in a short period, since not all respawning would happen at the same time. GIWS invas are controlled by GIWS hard coded in the server and the only thing that can prevent the next wave is all the mobs being killed. The best that GIWS could do at this time is tell you when it's happened (and only for the long term autospawning), and then it might be spammier then you expect.
Before respawning is initiated a two-minute warning and one-minute warning are given. Just an "autospawning in DL will start (in one/two minutes)" and then no more messages for a certain interval, which would need to be adjusted to the interval for autospawning. No specifics, other than possibly continent.
To be more proper, the IF should trying to track what sorts of mobs had been there, not just what is there currently since since they might be residue from a different invasion (that may or may not be respawning). A restriction like this could prevent the auto invasion from being able to invade at all if there is enough other strays which is bad in a different way.
I think that the logic behind the spawning can be made more sophisticated to not only cater to the high level players, which all had gone to sleep when I came on, but also to people logging in later.
While the idea behind autoinvasions, providing fun for players without IM pressence, is good, I hope that the mechanism can be made better to provide fun for a less select group of players.
I am not lumping together what I dont like, I am coming on in the morning to find a situation that:
- the maps with monsters on them dont have any players working on them, they are MC and require a team to clear, which did not happen till 12 hours or so later.
- the only places where I could go fight (and anyone else below 60 a/d) have high level mobs on them, this is not just for me, but includes anyone who wants or has started the game in the past month. If you want new players, they need a place to go and have fun too! Skellies are below my level, but the only possible mobs.
- clearing low level mobs (I did clear two maps) did not initiate a respawn of those mobs, leaving only a map with armed orcs, which are still too high for me
- the information about what is where gets lost during the Euro night, unless an IM posts some info
Right now OL is
- not welcoming to new players (till they join a guild that takes care of them)
- not welcoming to early morning Euro players (till SAW logs on and does her awesome stuff)
- not welcoming to people who only have time on the weekend and have a different playstyle from leveling fighting.
- therefor promoting a US-timezone centered monoculture
In my opinion, if OL wants to grow, that needs to change, hence my suggestions.
If the current situation is as is desired, then feel free to ignore my comments.
While it may not be intentional, you have been coming off sounding like that.
The last server update did give SAWolf & Grimm the ability to stop the respawning when they are ready to take over again.
There's more I can say on this, but enough for now.
SAW did an awesome invasion by hand, and also took care of lower level players coming on after that.
I also really enjoyed helping with the Easter bunny
I hope the picture shows, it is also in my ency dropbox folder