No Best Swords

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

We currently have a long list of swords that nobody uses in game at all...

I suggest that we give the current set weapons a little tweak by adding added benefits to each...and may be a little risk:

Iron and Steel Swords should have bonus stats against Un-dead mobs...so say plus 5 Dmg and Plus 5 Acc
Steel Swords get reduced bonus against Undead mobs compared to Iron...so Plus 2 Dmg, Plus 2 Acc

Titanium Alloyed Swords should have bonus stats against living mobs in the form of damage over time. The mobs bleed a little over next couple of turns or just get lazy and give it plus 5 dmg :P

Serp Sword will get tit standard bonus plus 5% chance to poison the mob with 0.05% chance of poisoning the user...
So now there is no best sword among the stuff we do have.

Now for the moddable swords...Why do they even use so much serp stones in the first place or at all?...I would think the formula would lean more in using the particular essence they are leaned at.

So instead you should have a formula more like
Iron Sword of ice : 1 Moddable Iron Sword of Ice, 1 Binding Stone, 1 EME, 1 EWE
Iron Sword of Fire: 1 Moddable Iron Sword of Ice, 1 Binding Stone, 1 EME, 1 EFE
and so on...

As for the current induced rarity of serp stones...Just introduce a npc that Sell rare and special stones at eye gouging prices...you deal with excess liquidity, reduce the ridiculous prices of serps and people will be a bit more inclined to use their serps instead having it in stores.

Also looking at Iron Broad Sword its damage should be brought up in line with tit long, but with reduced acc and def due to its high mass.

Good Point L adjust OP to suit.
Oops fixed Codux

Edited by ebattleon, 12 April 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

If Iron & Steel get the same bonus. nobody will bother with Iron at all.

#3 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Why does iron sword of fire require moddable sword of ice?

#4 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

A big no for me to put serp stones in NPC.

Rares should stay as rare. Just not as rare as it is right now lol.

#5 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:11 AM

Took me weeks to get a replacement serp when Tankel broke mine until someone took pity on me and sold me one of thiers.

I am sorry to have to admit, but an NPC selling eye gouging rares would have gotten my gc in a blink of an eye.

#6 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

View Postebattleon, on 11 April 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

We currently have a long list of swords that nobody uses in game at all...

I suggest that we give the current set weapons a little tweak by adding added benefits to each...and may be a little risk:

Iron and Steel Swords should have bonus stats against Un-dead mobs...so say plus 5 Dmg and Plus 5 Acc
Steel Swords get reduced bonus against Undead mobs compared to Iron...so Plus 2 Dmg, Plus 2 Acc

Titanium Alloyed Swords should have bonus stats against living mobs in the form of damage over time. The mobs bleed a little over next couple of turns or just get lazy and give it plus 5 dmg :P

Serp Sword will get tit standard bonus plus 5% chance to poison the mob with 0.05% chance of poisoning the user...
So now there is no best sword among the stuff we do have.

Now for the moddable swords...Why do they even use so much serp stones in the first place or at all?...I would think the formula would lean more in using the particular essence they are leaned at.

So instead you should have a formula more like
Iron Sword of ice : 1 Moddable Iron Sword  1 Binding Stone, 1 EME, 1 EWE
Iron Sword of Fire: 1 Moddable Iron Sword 1 Binding Stone, 1 EME, 1 EFE
and so on...

As for the current induced rarity of serp stones...Just introduce a npc that Sell rare and special stones at eye gouging prices...you deal with excess liquidity, reduce the ridiculous prices of serps and people will be a bit more inclined to use their serps instead having it in store
Also looking at Iron Broad Sword its damage should be brought up in line with tit long, but with reduced acc and def due to its high mass.

To start, let's not add more enriched essences to swords of fire/ice, etc. Those are used for the Magic Swords... These get EFE/EWE... Though.. Adding EDE and making enchanted swords with poison would be chill.

Perhaps instead of giving the NPC's a serp stone (stupid imo, might as well make it's name Radu), we can slightly increase the drop rate. That's just my opinion... Also. Iron Swords and such aren't used because they're beginner weapons the way I see it, they're intended to be a small starter weapon, just like in Most games, they start out with "Starter Sword" and are NEVER used again... We don't need all weapons being equally as good, why should a level 10 a/d have the same beneficiaries as a sword of a 90 a/d?

#7 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 12 April 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

Perhaps instead of giving the NPC's a serp stone (stupid imo, might as well make it's name Radu), we can slightly increase the drop rate. That's just my opinion... Also. Iron Swords and such aren't used because they're beginner weapons the way I see it, they're intended to be a small starter weapon, just like in Most games, they start out with "Starter Sword" and are NEVER used again... We don't need all weapons being equally as good, why should a level 10 a/d have the same beneficiaries as a sword of a 90 a/d?
Have to agree

#8 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:30 AM

Do we really want OL to limit itself to just the rules that forest of MMOs? We need to step out of the most games paradigm and try to make a game that is unique and engaging if OL is to survive and flourish.

There no best weapon or tools for every possible situation you would not use for example a odachi indoors. Having weapons that suit different situations would encourage players to think a bit and engage them more. A little analysis of what I am suggesting would show that the benefit gained by iron weapons are no way eclipse their titanium counterparts and only ally to specific circumstances. Also it should be noted that heavier weapon with a higher mass will do more damage than one lighter one especially on armored opponent.

As to lower level players running around with betters weapon we already have a nexus system in place to prevent that.

#9 Kurama

Kurama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:42 AM

Hi guys, have you ever heard of scaling ? Or weapons requiring certain level to be used? Take for example Skyrim or Dark Souls, most of the weapons are similar  strength with very small differences, but the main difference is in scaling, I get that it would be hard to make this game as good as DS or Skyrim :D but scaling/level requiring weapons isn't.

#10 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Just to throw a few thoughts in...

How many new players actually bother with an Iron Sword and how long do they stay a/d 10?

When I started playing OL I had people handing me 3 or more Titanium Short Swords in my first week.
The first thing I did was to put pick points on Human Nexus to 4 as that would enable me to use ALL armors and weapons available in the game.
Only time that I ever used an Iron sword was when I logged in naked into the middle of a horde and the second mob I killed dropped one, I equipped it.

Iron Swords, Steel long, Iron Broad are treated like a waste of space. Players collect them till they have a pile and then go flog them at Trik or Paul for a couple of gcs. Manufactures don't bother to make them.

Starter weapon? Kill a rabbit and use its bone to club the next one to death!!! :P
Or grab some wood branches...both cost nothing and are pretty effective 'starter' weapons. When all you are killing on your first day are rabbits, beaver, rats and the occasional brownie...tomorrow you will be 20 a/d and a 42bie will hand you a Titanium Short :D

IMO, looking into diversifying the available weapons in a constructive way can be an effective method to 'change' the way the game is played without having to redo models, textures and what not.

As far as enchanted weapons go, the books to make them are as rare as the serp stones, maybe rarer. And once you go through all the trouble to make one it doesn't even measure up to a Titanium Serpent anyway!?! So why bother?

#11 Eagle

Eagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Since I am a total newbie, I will give you my take. I used the iron sword a lot. 1 it was free and 2 it was free. yes there are better weapons. I only bought a s2e last weekend for the invasions. I am trying to save money for some things I want. I've not really made any money in the invasions. I can't kill any of the bosses, and gc drops are very small at my level.

I like the idea of diversifying the weapons. Some weapons I am surprised that were never added are:

Clubs, first most basic weapon in mankind's arsenal.
Rocks, throw a rock at em ;)  Slings too
Javelins, one of the early throwing spears. Add in a Atlatl, make that spear go farther and hit harder.
Flails and maces. big weapons for the period.

Other add ons can be Greek fire.

We can keep the theme going and still add new stuff.

#12 Kurama

Kurama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Every sword can be put into use, you'll just have to make them usefull. Maybe think about new quests ? Maybe Creatures that are easier to kill with certain type of weapon, or make weapons temporarily enchant-able,  for exmaple Iron swords could have holy enchantment which would work on undead, axes could have damage boost on animals etc... just a thought

Btw I do bother making steel longs :))

#13 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

View Postebattleon, on 13 April 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

Do we really want OL to limit itself to just the rules that forest of MMOs? We need to step out of the most games paradigm and try to make a game that is unique and engaging if OL is to survive and flourish.

There no best weapon or tools for every possible situation you would not use for example a odachi indoors. Having weapons that suit different situations would encourage players to think a bit and engage them more. A little analysis of what I am suggesting would show that the benefit gained by iron weapons are no way eclipse their titanium counterparts and only ally to specific circumstances. Also it should be noted that heavier weapon with a higher mass will do more damage than one lighter one especially on armored opponent.

As to lower level players running around with betters weapon we already have a nexus system in place to prevent that.

View PostKurama, on 13 April 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

Hi guys, have you ever heard of scaling ? Or weapons requiring certain level to be used? Take for example Skyrim or Dark Souls, most of the weapons are similar  strength with very small differences, but the main difference is in scaling, I get that it would be hard to make this game as good as DS or Skyrim :D but scaling/level requiring weapons isn't.

View PostKurama, on 14 April 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

Every sword can be put into use, you'll just have to make them usefull. Maybe think about new quests ? Maybe Creatures that are easier to kill with certain type of weapon, or make weapons temporarily enchant-able,  for exmaple Iron swords could have holy enchantment which would work on undead, axes could have damage boost on animals etc... just a thought

Btw I do bother making steel longs :))

Personally I will use the smaller swords in the beginnings and multiple other occasions, some small PVP tests and such. This isn't limiting, but starter swords should not have benefits that require the work it takes for a decent sword. No matter what, they are low level, and low ranked for a reason, they are not meant to be used passed a certain level in all reality. It's logical, not following all other MMO's.
In relation to Kurama's level requirement, there are not enough swords, and easy enough levels passed 80 to put restrictions, Skyrim and Darksouls are also quite a bit more diverse, and bigger playerbase (Skyrim) or a SOLO game (aside from online (DarkSouls)). Adding more weapons, people will always never use Iron - Steel long (except for a select few) They are low damage, low end swords. Again, starter weapons, such as every successful MMO has had. Another comment on the level requirement, that puts players who have been here a long time at an advantage, in all honestly. After level 80 a/d, or any skill. It comes down to the time thrown in, more than the player skill. People will sit and grind cycs/feros for a year+ and never catch the top 5 players, unless they do TONS of invasions with SC, along with multiple 24 hour+ sessions.

~Eats

#14 Kurama

Kurama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Well, shit happens... With this kind of limitation its hard to keep playing, that's why i'm in love with Dark Souls...

In OL there's really bad weapon "system" which wouldn't really work anywhere in any mmorpg. If you don't wanna make scaling weapons than add new ones :)

Simple as that (*this is where I got pissed*) I don't really get why are you so fucking afraid to do that.... Jesus there has been done nothing in fucking eternity with this... so few useful swords (equip-able items) that's making me cry when i think about it... try to add new weapons, stop crying over it's potential being "OP"

bye(see ya in couple months i guess)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users