• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Location-

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

From the Spellsword who brought you updated
* Monster Pack
* Sound pack

brings you an updated Small/Large pack texture to better simulate the look and feel of an actual Pack, rather than a random fur rug on your back!

Posted Image

Keep in mind this is still a Cape retexture, and is not 100% 3D. But it is still a nice option compared to the fur cloak.
The file can be found at:

Simply extract and place in C:\Program Files (x86)\Other-Life\meshes

#2 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Wow - now that is cool :)

Regards
Z

#3 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Nice work bw!!

#4 Adele

Adele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Great job Battlewizard

#5 Utuk

Utuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Nice work BW, thanks

#6 Kinreth

Kinreth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

[Learner @ 1]: at a minimum others with a graphics eye saying they like it enough to make them go into main may be enough to get that moving

To be critical it does look like a new off the shelf purchase.  Could it look a little worn and dirtied up a little.

Looks great. I give it 2 thumbs up! I would like to see it in game.

My professional opinion ;p  Kinreth -  BFA in Graphic Design, Louisiana State University, former graphic designer / photographer

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

That doesn't fit with the fantasy setting really. It's a leather backpack i could go into a shop to buy. Wouldn't a bag attached to your back, something more ramshackle, and less like a hiker from the last half century fit better into the aesthetic of a fantasy world? These are just my opinions, but it does look quite good. I have a temptation to hazard it comes from editing a stock photo of a packback, but I have no issues with that as long as you're careful with copyrights.

also i generally encourage people do research into the things they are designing, Backpacks are a rather new thing (term coined 1910, your design is similar to a swiss army pack, circa 1960s. A lot of the common designs for keeping items were based around a single strap and a canvas bag. A courier/strap bag might look more in place.

These are just things to consider as i find it a little jarring in context.

I'd just like to think in terms of what this would look like within this world, and it seems not quite to fit in my opinion. I also agree with kinreth, it is gleaming, completely free of imperfections, and doesn't even look like it's been ruffled enough to have been even opened

So you have 2 designers opinions on that :P

nice job though

#8 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

Butler given that we forge titanium, know what radon and radiation poisoning is, understand concepts like space time anomalies a leather back pack can work in OL mania of fantasy...just my opinion.

#9 BattleWizard

BattleWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

View Postbutler, on 25 May 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

That doesn't fit with the fantasy setting really. It's a leather backpack i could go into a shop to buy. Wouldn't a bag attached to your back, something more ramshackle, and less like a hiker from the last half century fit better into the aesthetic of a fantasy world? These are just my opinions, but it does look quite good. I have a temptation to hazard it comes from editing a stock photo of a packback, but I have no issues with that as long as you're careful with copyrights.

also i generally encourage people do research into the things they are designing, Backpacks are a rather new thing (term coined 1910, your design is similar to a swiss army pack, circa 1960s. A lot of the common designs for keeping items were based around a single strap and a canvas bag. A courier/strap bag might look more in place.

These are just things to consider as i find it a little jarring in context.

I'd just like to think in terms of what this would look like within this world, and it seems not quite to fit in my opinion. I also agree with kinreth, it is gleaming, completely free of imperfections, and doesn't even look like it's been ruffled enough to have been even opened

So you have 2 designers opinions on that :P

nice job though

True, it really doesn't fit the medieval scene, nor does it feel or look work since it actually looks pleather (faux leather), I will not defend it by saying that OL/ELs story isn't 100% medieval (being that space/time bs story Radu pulled out his augs..) But it was originally a side project client-side that many liked, and is giving us insight as to how we can also separate fur cloaks from small and large packs (meaning there will soon be no more confusion on which you are pulling from sto as well!). This is simply a temporary fix until we can get a 3D modeling program going for an actual 3D backpack. But thanks all for the feedback, it is well appreciated!

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Note: one of the OL side projects is to delete much of Radu's space/time story and be more fantasy

#11 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

ebattleon, having been part of the story writing of OL, having proof read kiwi's early drafts, and having worked with everyone in terms of setting up the continent initially, I'm almost certain we're not doing what radu is doing. We are not taking whatever fancies us at the time out of our arse and inflicting it on the game. This is radu, who, i believe at one point wanted AK47's in EL. What radu established, we have a lot of people re writing, re working, and actually putting a lot of care and attention, forward planning and trying keep, things within a set continuity, in context, and as part of the established world so it feels realistic and continous. We did this by insisting our maps were preplanned and not square, we're doing it in xattris, we're doing it in a lot of way. So, in my opinion of wanting to make this game genuinely very good, and not a pet project, I don't really think that sort of reasoning will actually help the game improve.

I'm critical because I care, I like the game, i want it do better and I, in the end, want this game to beat EL in terms of success.

Genuinely, if i criticise your thing it's generally because i think there is something genuinely interesting of great in the idea, either buried or nearly there, and i want it refined. So long response.

View PostBattleWizard, on 25 May 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

<snipped>
True, it really doesn't fit the medieval scene, nor does it feel or look work since it actually looks pleather (faux leather), I will not defend it by saying that OL/ELs story isn't 100% medieval (being that space/time bs story Radu pulled out his augs..) But it was originally a side project client-side that many liked, and is giving us insight as to how we can also separate fur cloaks from small and large packs (meaning there will soon be no more confusion on which you are pulling from sto as well!). This is simply a temporary fix until we can get a 3D modeling program going for an actual 3D backpack. But thanks all for the feedback, it is well appreciated!

okay, i didn't know it was a proof of concept. In terms of modelling, I'm looking into some things ( I don't know blender, but I think i know a few place/options)

#12 BattleWizard

BattleWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

View Postbutler, on 25 May 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

ebattleon, having been part of the story writing of OL, having proof read kiwi's early drafts, and having worked with everyone in terms of setting up the continent initially, I'm almost certain we're not doing what radu is doing. We are not taking whatever fancies us at the time out of our arse and inflicting it on the game. This is radu, who, i believe at one point wanted AK47's in EL. What radu established, we have a lot of people re writing, re working, and actually putting a lot of care and attention, forward planning and trying keep, things within a set continuity, in context, and as part of the established world so it feels realistic and continous. We did this by insisting our maps were preplanned and not square, we're doing it in xattris, we're doing it in a lot of way. So, in my opinion of wanting to make this game genuinely very good, and not a pet project, I don't really think that sort of reasoning will actually help the game improve.

I'm critical because I care, I like the game, i want it do better and I, in the end, want this game to beat EL in terms of success.

Genuinely, if i criticise your thing it's generally because i think there is something genuinely interesting of great in the idea, either buried or nearly there, and i want it refined. So long response.

View PostBattleWizard, on 25 May 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

<snipped>

okay, i didn't know it was a proof of concept. In terms of modelling, I'm looking into some things ( I don't know blender, but I think i know a few place/options)

Again for both of you, I specifically said "I will NOT defend it by saying that OL/ELs story isn't 100% medieval (being that space/time bs story Radu pulled out his augs..)".
Don't forget you've been gone for a long while Butler, so much as far as stories and early writing, Kiwi's presence has changed, but I try to keep to those old requirements while also making new ones with Zian and others along the way. Let's get some toes wet before we put titles out there. With that said, welcome back, man. But to be honest THANK UNOLAS we are not keeping up with the space/sci-fi...fetish? that Radu wanted. I appreciate the feedback, and as we speak, it is going well. L and I have been able to make the icons reflect the Large/Small/Fur Capes respectfully, so that is tremendous progress since I worried if it was even possible. I will work on retexturing it to a more "Rugged" look tonight as well.

#13 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:55 AM

I would put a little bit more definition/contrast in the crease where the lower part would be extending further, will help it look a bit less flat.

I also wasn't looking for titles :P I do need to read up on what kiwi later wrote, but I do know that in terms of the history and the continent we were trying for consistency and unity so it wasn't a complete mess.

#14 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Could this backpack texture be optional? I know myself I made my own custom files and made a cloak for mine, not to mention, cloaks look a lot more badass than a backpack! :)
~Eats

#15 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

If this is added to the game then I don't see how you still can't mod it. it is a mod in itself, it's just of a slightly more complex than a straight texture swap (which is great, and what we need). You could probably faff around with the client, or keep a backup of the current client and compare it to the new one and mod back the old stuff since I think this is a client side update, since I imagine the server is only telling the client what qualities are attached to mesh x and texture x that's applied to it.

Though the actual client people probably have more info

#16 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Well it'd be a simple replacement, but the server if having auto-updates on will overwrite each restart. I made my own cloak for it is my issue. I don't have the money to place it on there myself either serverside for customs. So as long as unofficial_customs.zip isn't updated it will be fine. Though, not sure if a backpack really fits OL well... It doesn't look as good as a cloak imo. Not saying the texture is bad, but what warrior has fought with a sack on the back?

#17 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 26 May 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Well it'd be a simple replacement, but the server if having auto-updates on will overwrite each restart. I made my own cloak for it is my issue. I don't have the money to place it on there myself either serverside for customs. So as long as unofficial_customs.zip isn't updated it will be fine. Though, not sure if a backpack really fits OL well... It doesn't look as good as a cloak imo. Not saying the texture is bad, but what warrior has fought with a sack on the back?

Issue is a cloak doesn't really work for it either, hence why i suggested a bag in the courier bag style, or one of the older canvas bags which could be tied over the shoulder. And if you want to go down the warrior way, knights had squires to deal with all their luggage, it's why any feudal army had quite the luggage train. What we are closer to (and I know this is completely based on me knowing a bit more of my own local history), are tribal or clansmen, so similar to the Highlands of Scotland, Albania, etc. basically all the bits where it was hard to throw a conventional army at. They did carry all their own things (sometimes with the aid of horses such as hobblers), so it is reasonable to give us a bag of some sort.

From what i can get from BW, this is a kind of stopgap texture, till we get models, which is also looks to be exploring meshes and other possibilities. I'd take this as somewhat a proof of concept. I might try my own re texturing, but I'd be doing that on top of this version if this is added, and mostly for myself. If I ever do. Which is kind of unlikely.

Probably best if this convo of unofficial customs be continued somewhere else, if at all, with these posts quoted, and keep a bit more on topic (which I'm fully guilty of keeping offtopic atm :/ )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users