•  

population

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_no name yet_*

Guest_no name yet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

hi just wandering is there plans to get more ppl to play like increasing population? is this game going to be bigger and better then the other one?

#2 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:34 AM

I'm sure Learner and the majority of players here would love a larger population, however with the game being F2P for the most part it's hard for it to gain exposure via advertising and such. So I think all we can do as players is keep supporting Learner and keep suggesting ideas/concepts to be brought into the game and just hope that we gain more players either new people coming across the game or those who are leaving or bored with Eternal Lands.

MugEN

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

Issue is we need to get to a point where we can do proper outreaching to communities. There is no point reaching out and exposing ourselves if we haven't got many immediately notable differences. LXF and a german magazine distribution were large parts of what got a fair group of people into EL, and since these things tend to give a sharp boost, it's best we are considering when this would be the best time to introduce people in. This goes the same for digital distribution websites such as steam (which may have issues due to proprietory DRM on our open source client, though projects like megaglest and those using stratagus engine have gotten around it), GOG and humble bundle store.

Most of these give large spikes in traffic and then they will settle down, so we need to be careful when we launch on any. Right now the issue is getting enough regular updates that players won't get apathetic, and ensuring constant engagement (as we just had an exodus of some significant high level players.)

I do think we need to create a business plan to ensure the longer term viability of this project.

#4 mugen

mugen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Yes I agree with you Butler...

Was going to write a long reply but it'd have turned out sounding similar to yours.

mugEN

#5 Los_Control

Los_Control

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

I think being more linux user friendly, would help.
Also when I did play, was just way to much fiddle with the buttons and tweaking going on to make it worth playing.
I understand to a point the tweaking, but removing the drops to almost zero, then tweak them a lil bit at a time to slowly and very "tight ass" I believe is the word looking for. Train ogers and trolls for 4 hours and walk away with a air ess as a drop, takes all the incentive to play away.

Saw_Wolf invasions were boss, I never partake in invasions in el, but I started to enjoy them in ol.

Then Wizzy invasions came along, strictly to kill you, while you are dead in the UW, it is invaded also.
IP is invaded
ws is invaded
votd is invaded
May as well take all your stoofs out of sto and poof it in a bag, as much fun as a wizzy invasion. And see above for how well the drops work out so you can build your sto up.
And I am inclined to think, Learner has ran this game for enough years, to know about what % the drops should be at.
I think maybe that level is where Learner thinks they should be. Anyone complains in the chat channel, they are labeled a cry baby. Not considered as constructive criticism. So people will leave.

All this is pointless if you cant get the game to install and work on your system. Eternal lands downloads and works perfect
I did have it working, obviously. I remember I found a link somewhere that listed the packages and version you needed to have installed.
The packages on my gentoo system were newer, I had to dig up the older versions, and was able to make ol work.
Then my hard drive died on this machine, I had to do a complete re-install of the operating system on a new drive.
And the links I got from the ol page are no longer working or gone.

I just happened to wander over here to see how things were going.
I think that a sticky in the forums for linux users, and keeping other life up to date with modern linux applications would be a good start.

#6 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

Agreed, easy install is important, also for linux users. Even for an experienced linux user it likely takes anywhere between 30 mins and 1 day to install the game,.

Nobody in their right mind would go through the trouble for an unknown game. I was brought to EL by its availability as a deb-package.

From that side a *deb and/or an *rpm package in addition to a well-documented way on how to compile the client would be important. Getting it it into the official ubuntu/fedora repositories is probably even better.

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

From what I could see, every body not from EL here is on windows. The linux install here is an absolute, total and complete arse.

If I get a game and it doesn't immediately run, and I'm not already got some level of investment in it (say, I paid some money for it, or am extremely excited about it), then that game goes into either my pile to refund or if it's free, get's to fly off into space.

I'd say making sure your binary/executables will work almost immediately. It should be a priority to meet the expectations that your program will run without having to fuck around and compile it from source. It also means you miss out anyone who is an intermediate linux user: you've lost any chance to get them.

Also, Los_Control, i didn't even know Wizzy was an IM, I presumed since he was only active here for a tiny arse time he had it revoked, but i guess not. Hows he supposed to know whats reasonable when he doesn't play much? (but then i thought his low level invasions in EL were out of touch as well, and said as much at the times)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users