* Increasing the CPU & RAM can improve performance & allow it to do more
* Should NOT be located new the game server to reduce the chance of issues when BHS connectivity is disrupted
* Cost, we need to keep the costs down to avoid undue burden on players. The current support costs are $200/mth and this would add to the minimum required support (approx
* This would NOT affect most of WebAccess. Due to the nature of WebAccess that is handled by the main game server.
* A low cost server in France avoids being too close to the same facility are available at low cost
* Can also be used as an alternative proxy to the OL game server for EU players when direct routes are having problems.for the server.
* Code changes will be able to be on it's on 'server' so that people on Test (players/IM's etc) so my teting won't affect them and I don't have to delay until nobody is on to run code updates.
* Once it's setup and running we can evaluate if OL wants to have an official Wiki installed on it (it would have spare capacity still)
* One more possible place away from BHS ro critical backups, like to server source, and the main game setup & players.
* The current server being used is older so a risk of h/w issues plus older software
* The server would have two mirrored drives for reliability.recovery (as does the current system), but the hard disks would be newer.
* Being a leased machine, they will repair it at no additional cost, just give me a headache for my side of restoring operation (from experience if a HD dies down time is required to rebuild).
* Would be at the same version of the OS & tools as is being used for the map/docs/audit server that is located in BHS (the main game server is one major version of the OS older, test & forums is MUCH older currently).
* Would require additional minimum monthly support of $50.month for a total of $250.month to keep everything running
* Being a leased server if there is not enough support, there is a risk they would wipe the server.
* Higher lag to Test & forums for players in North American and AU (about 80ms - 100ms higher ping times)
* Setup time & downtime while everything is gets transferred.
* The hardware isn't brand new, but much newer then the current server, but it would have a totally fresh OS/compiler install.
* If we want a 'brand new system' so it will be longer before it has issues, we'd have to pay about 50% more which I think we need to avoid.
* Would be tempted to also have it be an EL proxy server since it would have spare capacity and in a very different location. (but EL a 'free' EL proxy can help cover the costs, though not much)
This isn't a show stopping issue, just things have come to light over the last year and some recent price cuts on these systems as they brought new ones online makes it more attractive.
After upgrading the OL setup would be:
Game: main game server in Canada to play on
Proxy1: map/docs server in Canada secondary proxy connection to Game, only useful in strange emergencies
Proxy2: test server secondary proxy connection to Game intended for EU player that are experiencing issues
TestProxy: test server in France, unstable when proxy code is being enhanced/debug.
Docs: map/docs server in Canada for developer perm storage of files
Maps: map/docs server in Canada for developer checking of .def files & MapAuditing, also includes amps game server that restarts on a whim with map audits
Dev: test server in France, for code changes and anything that can require a lot of restarts, very unstable. Most players would want to avoid this server
Test: test server in France, for testing changes and maps, effort will be made to reduce restarts
Stage: test server in France, to prepare updates for what will be on Game, won't change often and config will be for what the next update to Game will be
TestUpdates: test server in France, will include downloads for what's in Test to make testing easier (use with caution, can mess up your main maps)
StageUpdates: test server in France, will include downloads for what's in Stage to make testing easier (use with caution, can mess up your main maps when major changes are being prepared)
WWW: test server in France, the Forums, possibly a Wiki in the future.
WebAccess: main server in Canada. Most WebAccess features related to the main game MUST be on the server that is running that at this time. There will be Dev/Test/Stage WebAccess setups for testing though less useful to players.
Updates: will be provided by all three servers, full updates & customs for what is used in Game
backups: All three servers will have critical backups from the others done at various intervals. automatically (some is in place currently, weakest link at the moment is the forums DB isn't backed up often)
Donations just for this upgrade received to date: $85 of the