• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Ok, since we're approaching the optimal time to upgrade the Main Game Server before the New Year. Anyone feel strongly enough OL should switch to a faster cheaper server they'll cover the extra $50 to cover have the overlap on the two servers? The server switch could take 2 days of my time (3 if there are issues) and if there are any unexpected problems that allows more time to transition (since the change over would ONLY happen midweek).

To answer a question that might come up, yes we could switch later this year, but have to watch the timing more carefully based on Holidays and player counts rising. The current Game server is coming up for renewal this month and I'll be able to pay for either 1 month or 3 months as needed. If we are doing the switch we pay for only one month of that server and instead pay for 3 months on the new server. The Maps/Docs server has less impact on other people so when it gets switched is more about convenience or cost savings rather then timing.

In the mean time, work on Perks continues (and even would continue during the swap while waiting for everything to transfer).

P.S. if we upgrade, the new server will be at the same location or a building next to the current server and minimal downtime.

UPDATE: The cost to switch to the new server has been covered by a donation. Steps will proceed for the switch!

#22 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have no objection to switching :rolleyes: :).  Let's do this

#23 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

No objection!

Regards
Z

#24 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

This new server will be as fast as test server? Will they have same ping?

I might have missed something if what I asked is a stupid question lol

#25 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

View PostKaddy, on 03 August 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:

This new server will be as fast as test server? Will they have same ping?

I might have missed something if what I asked is a stupid question lol
No, the ping will be similar for you that Main already has since the location isn't changing. Test is so good for you because of it's location in France, while Main stays in Canada. People in EU have about an 80ms #ping penalty on Main compared to France due to having to cross the Atlantic.

The speed improvement should not be noticeable to players except maybe under heavy load. On paper there is a speed difference but I don't expect it to be noticeable under normal circumstances. The primary benefits are lower cost, newer versions of s/w, and fewer differences between systems.

#26 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

Damn, I was so excited that I was going to play at 70 ms ping :(

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostKaddy, on 03 August 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

Damn, I was so excited that I was going to play at 70 ms ping :(
Wish I could give everyone that kind of ping, but not possible at this time. AU for example has well over 300ms ping!

#28 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

Someone had made a Donation specifically to switch Main to the new server this month! Thank you very much! Anyone that was thinking about making a donation to help can still donate for the GeneralSupport or purchase Plats to help support OL.

This means before the end of August we will be switching to the new server, and the anticipated downtime when it happens will be about 1/2 hour unless someone is using the IP address directly. Anyone that is using the IP address instead of the names supplied in the servers.lst should upgrade their servers.lst to reduce their downtime. When the change happens, game.other-life.com will switch to the new server.

Once the new server is in Testing, I will post some information people can use to help test it's working properly!

#29 Aine

Aine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Great News Learner!!!

#30 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

Status update ... got the NewGameServer this morning and it has all files installed. It is already running the game properly. Working on WebAccess and other related setup ups and tuning. It is currently running with the new CL & BossDrop changes.

#31 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

WebAccess appears to be working now!

Testing in detail is starting to see if I've missed anything, all in one day!

#32 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2033 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

http://www.other-lif...server-refresh/

The NewServer for the Main Game is up and running!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users