11 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

This idea comes in two parts, both with the same goals of making combat more varied, allowing more tactical combat and allowing more synergy in player cooperation. The first part of the idea is simply status effects

What I'd call a status effect in this case would be mostly the orange spam effects that last over time, i.e.
  • Poison

• Paralysis
Mana burn and heal wouldn't fall into this category, where as some spells like the shields would be roughly within this frame of thinking.

I'd suggest adding a list of others to the current two:
Poison - Causes damage over time (radiation?)
Parlysis - Prevents movement or attacks
Bleed - Causes damage over time (weap damage)
Blind - Reduces accuracy greatly
Cripple - Reduces evasion greatly
Stun - Prevents movements or attacks, but taking damage can end it
Disarm - Nullify/ reduce a weapons stats for a number of turns
Confuse - Will attack anything attacking it or do damage to itself
Taunt - Prevents switching of targetted mob

I'd say add these as abilities for various skills, unlocked by attack/defense/magic levels and by paying a special trainer for the privellege

As such i'd say

Attack - Bleed, Cripple and Stun
Defense - Blind, Disarm and Taunt
Matic - Poison, Paralysis, Confuse

I'd say sigils work as the effective gc sink/barrier for magic. This would also probably require the extension of the quickbar

I'd also say that if you are the one casting, say, cripple, and reducing evasion, it should also reduce your accuracy towards that mob for the duration as well, so that you only get 1/3rd benefit others get from it. This would mean that it give the major benefits to working as a cooperative team.

Say on a boss, the tank uses Taunt to keep the boss focused on him/her, maybe occasionally using Disarm, others around the boss could use things such as stun (to help reduce the tanks damage) and cripple (to help the other attackers deal more damage), or blind (reducing damage intake a little). It would give more variety and more tools for tackling problems in game than just get your bows, get a healer and get a mirror :P

The second portion is damage types,

Currently, we have, from what i can tell
  • Weapon Damage
  • Cold Damage
  • Heat Damage
  • Radiation Damage
So, in terms of furthering more options and greater variety, i am putting forward the idea of splitting weapon damage into 3:
  • Bludgeon Damage
  • Piercing Damage
  • Cutting/Slashing Damage
I'd say bludgeon ignores armour a bit more, but deals less damage than the other two, and has very little variance between what I'd typify as  armour classes
  • Plated Armour
  • Chainmail/ Light Metal Armour
  • Lightweight
So, bludgeon is strong to plate, as plate would take less cutting/piercing damage, but the other two would take more damage from the other weapon types.

cutting/slashing damage i'd say would need to be the best allrounder, doing reliable damage to all, but with piercing being better for lighter armours.

I'd also say these damage types would work better if we added a way of varying character movement speeds, so that an attri allowed us to move quicker, and based on our equiped items.

I'd also say that lighter armours, if making you quicker, should focus more on dodging rather than absorbing damage

I know this has turned a bit more rambly at the end, i apologise. I hope the idea pleases you guys.

EDIT:

Now that I'm thinking about it, it would make sense to utilise radiation/heat/cold damage within spells

Edited by butler, 30 July 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#2 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

With paralysis and others such as that. Is there a counteract? Are you able to cast spells while paralyzed? Such as Tele to range?
~Eats

#3 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

lol this is one of the greatest ideas I've ever seen lately.

But there is no way for this to be implemented as we still wait for a simple magic update.

#4 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostEatsAllLife, on 29 July 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

With paralysis and others such as that. Is there a counteract? Are you able to cast spells while paralyzed? Such as Tele to range?
~Eats

I'd just have paralysis being what it is currently in terms of spiders. If you are able to tele to range, then I'd say it'd have to keep your character stuck for maybe 1.5-2 seconds per turn you had remaining in your paralysis

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2074 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

In the past, I've suggested about 4 different attack types assigning one type to each weapon, and then giving each armor + & minus to each of the 4 different attack types. Similarly the mobs would be assigned types based ion their innate attacks/armor

#6 Aine

Aine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Love it!!!!!

#7 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Whats the max current damage output of poison we have?

I'd like to have different tiers of damage for status ailments, 1-25 mag being tier 1, 25-50 mag being tier 2, and 50-75 mag being tier 3.

Don't want only rationality having the biggest impact

Would be nice also if when we click a mob and see its HP, it tells us what tier lvl/status ailments it currently has

Edit: need damage output info.
        does magic level even affect poison dmg? (never been a mage, or anything even close to that. not sure about rationality difference)?

#8 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

As someone with 50 rat and mag level currently 47, I haven't poisoned everything/normal critters but from my usage with the higher tier bosses, the most I have been at was starting at 8.

I can poison various mobs (hopefully can start tonight) and get back to you later with more data, but wanted to give a starting point.

#9 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image
These are some of my musings on what my thoughts are in terms of trends between different types of armour.

Some of these I know need a lot of work, but it's a kind of thinking piece expanding on the weapon dmg versus armour absorbtion

View Postbutler, on 29 July 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Poison - Causes damage over time (radiation?)
Parlysis - Prevents movement or attacks
Bleed - Causes damage over time (Slash+Piercing dmg)
Blind - Reduces accuracy greatly
Cripple - Reduces evasion greatly
Stun - Prevents movements or attacks, but taking damage can end it
Disarm - Nullify/ reduce a weapons stats for a number of turns
Confuse - Will attack anything attacking it or do damage to itself
Taunt - Prevents switching of targetted mob
Freeze -  1/2Paralysis + Cold dmg
Combust - 1/2 Cripple + Heat dmg
Repulse - Lowers the chance of mob targetting you
Also thought i would add the last 3 status effect ideas

#10 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Summary will be first since most won't care about data:
  • Since poison is tick/damage over time based, looks like what stats affect is the duration it lasts overall
  • Increasing Rationality looks to correlate to getting that next tick of poison
  • Mildly interesting behavior when you get that next tick that increases your largest poison value
Process: Tested on test server. Keeping constant my magic level (obviously), as well as mag off/def at 4 each, I started back at Rationality of 4 and worked my way up to a point we can probably predict the damage. I poisoned the Armed Orcs in NK Catacombs, once each, at each Rationality value. Poisoned one orc, kept track of each new minute (healing), verified the poison stopped by waiting 30 seconds after the last tick, poisoned other orc, repeat. I went up to Rationality 23 then verified my data by resetting Rationality back to 4 and re-testing poison values from Rationality 4-10.

Largest tick is basically the initial poison value seen after casting. The Total Dmg column is how much the poison ticked for. Basically I kept track of each minute the Orc healed so I could get the total overall damage in the end...

Posted Image

I would like to test based on magic level but I can't change that stat so easily like Rationality :P

#11 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

Great table would be nice if someone could confirm the sampling for this magic level and do the same table from 4 to 50 rationality. Dont forget to include the number of ticks per cast.

#12 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostLearner, on 30 July 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

In the past, I've suggested about 4 different attack types assigning one type to each weapon, and then giving each armor + & minus to each of the 4 different attack types. Similarly the mobs would be assigned types based ion their innate attacks/armor

Looking into this more and with cleaving which was my take on your version for axes, it's a bit difficult to do that without it effectively just taking slashing to an extreme, so I'm considering just throwing that in as a slashing weapon at one end of the spectrum (i.e. a weapon that deals large amounts of slashing damage, possibly with a little bludgeon, to take axes in as a heavy weapon, and making the lighter weapons reasonable slashing with decent piercing, as swords would largely work like that, with serpent swords being the only one a bit dodgy for piercing from a logical standpoint.)

I will maybe try to draw up how i think this might look if we converted our current weapons (all of them) to this, as well as adding in ones for spears, halberds, as we have those models.

I'd also like to say that polearms should be usable to directly combat a mob from either the tile next to the mob or a tile removed. If a tile removed, then they should suffer a small dmg/acc penalty, but also a small dodge buff, and reduce their aggro compared to anyone at closer range. I think this would make it more interesting for boss fights, as you could pile a few more people on melee as well as rangers and sword and shields.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users