• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:57 AM

A recent discussion with Learner led to a proposal that the #day messages be changed from the current hard-to-read dark blue colour to something else. I suggested that the colour be changed to light purple, though Learner's current plan - as can be seen on the test server - is to make the day text the same blue colour as #gm, reasoning that #gm is not intended for the idle chat we all use it for anyway.

I feel this would be a mistake, and if implemented, would lead to new day messages becoming lost in #gm spam.

I reason that we should change the day text to light purple, for the following reasons:
  • It is current only used by the server in one other place, the rarely used "tag, you're it!" messages.
  • Light purple is a bright colour which suggests something "special" and "good" is going on.
  • It'd stand out in the console.
  • This colour is used for the client's built-in day/hour/dawn/dusk warning system, and would provide continuity for the user.
  • We use #gm for our guild chatter, and it is wrong to assume otherwise or make changes based on the idea that our behaviour is incorrect.
Visual aid (note: no day descriptions given to keep the image small):
Posted Image

Thoughts?

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

All the time I played the (other game), it was never pointed out, (that I can remember) that in guild chat was supposed to be anything other than (#gm).

Yes, having game announcements and messages in a different colour, would make them stand out better.  I do have trouble scrolling back to check a game message from the guild chat.

Good suggestion Ben :D

#3 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

There is a guild channel, but this provides no differentiation from regular channels and is certainly not as convenient (fiddling with channels and message directions is a pain in the butt) or attention-grabbing as #gm and is therefore rarely used.

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2320 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:29 AM

There are multiple reasons why #GM wasn't intended for general chat and why it's a shade of blue used by many other system messages (not just the Day text, look at the Message From: for example). #GM was supposed to be an important guild wide message from the top members of the guild like a system message, which is why it was given the same color. Keep in mind WebAccess can send to @@guild, and guild members can chooses to be in @@guild when they want instead of being forced (on reason for #GM was to get people in @@guild when needed). Plus OL even added an additional channel for all players to help. The 'abuse' of #GM goes back to when EL only allowed you to be in one channel at a time and never went away.

If anything #GM should be changed, otherwise you have to change many different system messages.

But ... OL also made it possible for you to tune the color of your channels including @@guild to your personal preference without having to change anything else. Right click the channel tab to change that channel color.

P.S. Also looking at allowing '#recent guild' to be made available to premium guilds, but #GM bypasses the guild channel totally so that wouldn't be there. You're lucky it's forced into WebAccess.

#5 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

Over the last 14 years, #GM has been adopted as the default communication method for every guild I have been in, be it EL or OL. While that behaviour may not have been intended at first, and does indeed negate some of the benefits of using @guild, it is what the user has chosen and I would argue that the game should therefore adapt to suit this new purpose

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2320 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

To respond to some of your individual points:

View PostBen, on 18 September 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

Light purple is a bright colour which suggests something "special" and "good" is going on.
Many days are good/bad/neutral and the definition can vary from person to person, to saying it's special or good isn't isn't helpful by itself

It'd stand out in the console.
Which is part of the reason that the system announcement color which is easier to read in most cases is whats being looked at.

We use #gm for our guild chatter, and it is wrong to assume otherwise or make changes based on the idea that our behaviour is incorrect.
Which means that all the system announcements also get confused in that #GM, which is part of the reason I offered the counter suggestion to change the color of #GM since people continue to over use it.

As for the client side system, never used them myself. Already too much text scrolling past so filtering and removing excess lines can be important.

P.S. to see samples of available colors the server can send, use the ChannelColor menu by Right-clicking the channel tab.

#7 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Must say that I have never had a problem with the colour as it is!

#8 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

I do quite often originally miss days, or announcements within the blue spam that is guild (due to me being a notorious spammer).

Also, generally, if you've designed a system, and it fails to work as you originally intended, but has been utilised successfully in another way, it's generally good practice and design to improve it to how it's been adopted, and take a look at a different way to do what you initially attacked. There's no point trying to force people to do what you want if they are happier using your communication system in a way better suited to the way they want to communicate. In this instance, i think it would be smarter to look at how it's used and do changes around it instead of harking back to ideal outcomes you wanted from the system that your system has failed to create. I think i should reiterate this; keep your design user orientated, even if it breaks the scope of your original intentions.

So here is my suggestion spring boarding off Bens: change default channel colours using connotations of the colours in an intelligent way (very much like your reasoning for the light purple.) The option to change the channel colours is great: however, that never really excuses shit defaults. This is more of a problem for us since we have no good resource for people to learn these things, no where reliable or easy to find this information, and it's basically pointless having these things if only 5 people know how to utilise them. I don't know half the commands ingame and I've played it for years. Also, in terms of your reply to the purple meaning "special"/ "good", where you said each day's good/bad is subjective, you completely missed Bens point: he was saying it stood out, and signified that it was an extraordinary day, rather than an ordinary one.

We also have the issue that people will have over the years drawn a mental connection between certain colours and their meaning/purpose.
For #GM, #ig, my brain automatically connects the meaning to them far stronger than server messages. So, if you are actually thinking around what your userbase has become used to / expects, i'd generally change the less noticeable / less used things colour, because that'll throw people less.

Due to the colour association, and the way #gm is worked, i'd incorporate channel based features just in the #gm, and design around how people use #gm and collate @@guild and #gm together into #gm, to make the guild experience better. I think this suggestion is a small but intelligent one, that has a good purpose behind it.

TL:DR

Good idea
People are used to current #gm colours
Maybe make channels all have different default colours
having the option to change colours doesn't fix bad defaults
just cause people didn't use it the way you wanted doesn't mean it's bad: you should build on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users