• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

To try to improve how channels work, some possible changes that work together may help.

* Enhance #JC so that it implies #recent for channels that are supported by #recent
* Enhance the @@3 & @@guild type syntax (i.e.@@<channel> ) to imply a #jc <channel> if you aren't already in that channel and you have a free channel available (which may also imply a #recent)
* Do NOT imply a #recent when you login to prevent login lag.

Currently #recent works for server messages and channels bellow 1000 and may be extended to guild channels as changes for PremiumGuilds are added. When you aren't in a channel, that channel information isn't sent to the client to reduce the client chatter/data (which can be important to people with slow or laggy connections).

This enhancement gives you control and can help you get caught up when you going a channel but still leaves the option of using #recent on demand for existing channel. #recent would only work in limited channels and expanding it into the guild channel would be discussed when enhancing guilds. A benefit to #recent when you join or on demand later, is that burst of traffic can be compressed in OL to make it smaller, and you have control of when it happen since it only happens when you join a channel or request it.

There is no attempt to automatically remove you from a channel. If all your channels are in use already and you aren't in 3, @@3 would fail.

These thoughts are attempts to improve how channels work without major revamps, avoiding client changes, and attempting to reducing lag all combined into a 'simple' step.

#2 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

These are all very good ideas. How much history would the auto-#recent pull upon a #jc?

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

As announced a long time ago, #recent pulls the last hour or last 100 lines per channel, which ever is smaller. Those are the default settings at this time and it applies to all channels. An exception is if there is a server restart, #recent would start with the restart as an additional restriction.

#4 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Ah, okay. I was wondering whether the auto-#recent would be reduced, I imagine not everybody would need up to 100 lines when joining a channel.

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostBen, on 18 September 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Ah, okay. I was wondering whether the auto-#recent would be reduced, I imagine not everybody would need up to 100 lines when joining a channel.
It is 100 lines or 1 hour, which ever is less, can easily be reduced to less. I would consider thinking about that as TBD, not a show stopper.

#6 Aine

Aine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Im such a noob and a little confused, but as long as the channels work the same only better I am in favor! Thanks for your efforts Learner <3

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostAine, on 19 September 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Im such a noob and a little confused, but as long as the channels work the same only better I am in favor! Thanks for your efforts Learner <3
For most things you won't notice any differences or things getting easier. The changes might only be noticed ir you try to talk in a channel you aren't currently active in and when you join a channel where #recent works (and then it will automatically issue #recent for you when you join it)

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

So people can better understand what I mean, I spent a couple hours and Test now has these changes ... just need to take more time to see if any special cases were overlooked.

#9 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

Great, will be a good additionPosted Image

Sorry, don't do novels when answering postsPosted Image

#10 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Works fine on test to what is expected.

Good job L

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

The proposed changes are now on Main. Now that it's there, it's been jointed out that people using #jc to change the active channel when you already had the channel open gets spammy. A fix is in on Test, until that goes live I recommend using the channel buttons at the top of the screen to change active channels you already have open instead of #jc.

#12 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

The enhancement to reduce spam for people using #jc on a channel they are already monitoring did go in later on the 19th while also getting another bug fix in, so it made it in before before the Invasion Weekend.

@@g is also a shorthand for @@guild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users