#1 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

I have been thinking of how to awaken PvP in OL a little and still keep it fun. So I am looking for input on a PvP contest...

Now that we have a better handle on events and can adjust map attributes to a certain extent it has opened a few possibilities.

So I was thinking that to start off we have a monthly PvP event that takes place in a no-drop environment initially.

There are two possible ways of running it but I'd like input on which players think would work the best:

Format A:
All players wanting to compete enter their names and each fighter has a one-on-one battle with each other fighter entered. You get 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw (not sure if this can happen...) and 0 for a loss. Players with same points can battle it out for ranks if points are equal.

Format B:
Use the current combat skills rankings and seed players and set up a knockout system. So 1st fights 6th, 2nd fights 7th, 3rd fights 8th etc...Winner moves on to next round and perhaps we can work in a round for the players that lose in the first round so that there may be a wild card.

The pros for A are that each player gets to try their strength against any other player and there may be a chance that a marginally lower player may luck out and take out a higher level player. It also will probably mean the most battles. So greater chance of breaking gear.
The pros for B are that we could apply strength vs strength so the battles will be more intense. And the lower tier players could maybe be split off into a knockout round of their own.

The cons for A is that high levels would probably be able to afk a battle against a lower level player and lower level players may feel a bit despondent to face such formidable opponents.
The cons for B is that once you are knocked out there is no further participation in the event till the next contest.  

This is just a basic start to the discussion there are probably more pros and cons to both options...feel free to voice them.

Basic setup would be that the two players are locked into a map and the first one to kill the other is the winner. I don't think we need any other rules...summons are allowed, ranging, RoD, all potions. Leaving the map by dying or tele will result in a loss.

Please let me have your ideas...and inputs, as I am not much of a PvP player I am not sure if I have missed anything or have any obvious flaws in the logic of the possible event.

Regards

SAWolf

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

Have a time limit, if time expires it's a Draw.

#3 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

Hi SAW

I see this kind of event under a time limit. Under a timed scenario both players could still alive at the end, maybe a win would be determined by total damage dealt to an opponent.

I'm thinking the event map would be similar to a pk arena in game. I'm sure we would like to have an audience/supporters in the bleachers :)

How about team event?

Thanks for the idea SAW! I need to think on it more :)

Regards
Z

#4 Aine

Aine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hi!!
I absolutely agree that there needs to be a time limit...
I love the idea of having a team and solo event
I also would love if there was a way that you are guildless on the map so that we are able to spar with our guild mates during the event.
I really like either format so I will chime back in once more ppl have responded :-)

#5 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Whilst it highly unlikely that I will apear in the arena, with more contests arising it might be as well to advance with the contest NPC!

https://www.other-li...__prize__st__20

#6 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

For the contest, how about also making it limited as to weapon and armour and heals....like maybe only augs, iron sword, limited amount of health essences, matter essences....etc

The contest should be based more on skill than on inventory.  The winner would be the one that did the most damage and used the least amount of resources.

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Oh this will be fun, i would love to fight in this.

One thing though... I see mostly PvE voices here, not really any PvPers. I might say get them to actually post and direct a bit, since they'll have a better idea of what's fun, what's good for PvPing.

Also with rank seeding, I am going to be an annoying bugger, so yay.

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

View Postbutler, on 30 November 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Oh this will be fun, i would love to fight in this.

One thing though... I see mostly PvE voices here, not really any PvPers. I might say get them to actually post and direct a bit, since they'll have a better idea of what's fun, what's good for PvPing.

Also with rank seeding, I am going to be an annoying bugger, so yay.
Feel free to send the forum messages or contact them in other ways as well!

#9 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hmm... Fighting in augs, and steel longs, isnt enough to 'bring PK back' to this sever unfortunately, you know what would be enough tho? Full server reset, thats the only thing to get actual competition back, those were always the best times on OL, when there was actual competition between players, now its just bullshit, sorry to say, but the entire exp system is retarded. lvl cap of 105? when we have SO many other mob types OL hasnt EVER seen(besides dumb  debuffed yeti's)

I say full server reset, and increase the cxap to about 120

What about frost trolls? what about Nasparliu? Shit, i use those models just to make OL look SLIGHTLY different than the bs caveman we have right now. lol.

I have chat logs from L, years ago, saying "we cannot use those models, because of what they drop on EL(meaning, fire arrows for the naspa's) well, what about frost trolls? i have been pushing for these for YEARS! BELIEVE THAT!

If OL & EL are different, then wth? what about 'little dragons' too?

SO many models you just refuse to use, for your OWN reasons, it has fuck all to do with EL's code, contract, etc, and you know it!

the only 'real PK' we had, was when there was actual competition between parties trying to one up each other. right now, its dud

has been dud for so many years lol

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

eh? What connection is there between the models and drops? All those mobs need to be retuned to better fit OL or be different from EL in other ways., even the names some some of the odd ones suck!

#11 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Just saying you wont use certain models 'because of the drops they have on EL' i have chat logs of u saying that lol.

And my point is, a PVP contest on Ol where we have to use only augs and lesser shit weapons, is just very unsatisfying. the best PK events are where we keep the booty/loot from our kills

#12 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostWarlock, on 30 November 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

Just saying you wont use certain models 'because of the drops they have on EL' i have chat logs of u saying that lol.

And my point is, a PVP contest on Ol where we have to use only augs and lesser shit weapons, is just very unsatisfying. the best PK events are where we keep the booty/loot from our kills
No, that would be about certain mobs, not the models. Adding the higher end mobs takes a lot more work to adjust them for OL and trach their drops and put in something more proper for OL

#13 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

If we had server reset, increase cap, add new mobs, like i said... we'd have more players so we wouldnt even need these crappy 'events' to try "awaken" PVP in OL

#14 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostWarlock, on 30 November 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

If we had server reset, increase cap, add new mobs, like i said... we'd have more players so we wouldnt even need these crappy 'events' to try "awaken" PVP in OL

Good grief Warlock go hijack your own thread....

I am with Time limits, and reduced weapon/ armor types, possibly Level caps so that even lower level players can throw down with the best.

#15 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2088 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

View Postebattleon, on 01 December 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

I am with Time limits, and reduced weapon/ armor types, possibly Level caps so that even lower level players can throw down with the best.
A problem with level caps is that the high levels still get bonuses from the high levels because of better X-attrs, more MP & EP, etc

#16 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

PvP on 1on1 would be just boring, sorry to say.

No strategies, 1 big boy would win, useless.

Need different gear, different pots and boosts, more spells etc. 1 bigboi with serp would destroy all.

Why bother then?

#17 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'd be down, if ya know, my laptop would work right >.<. Dumb thing is dying lol. But it'd be more fun if you made a new char for it, rather than current, otherwise it is a game of who had the most time and joined first to get the high levels and kill everyone... But it won't bring any PK/PVP back. It's an event, people would do it for fun, not the competition.

#18 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostWarlock, on 30 November 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Hmm... Fighting in augs, and steel longs, isnt enough to 'bring PK back' to this sever unfortunately, you know what would be enough tho? Full server reset, thats the only thing to get actual competition back, those were always the best times on OL, when there was actual competition between players, now its just bullshit, sorry to say, but the entire exp system is retarded. lvl cap of 105? when we have SO many other mob types OL hasnt EVER seen(besides dumb  debuffed yeti's)

I say full server reset, and increase the cxap to about 120

What about frost trolls? what about Nasparliu? Shit, i use those models just to make OL look SLIGHTLY different than the bs caveman we have right now. lol.

I have chat logs from L, years ago, saying "we cannot use those models, because of what they drop on EL(meaning, fire arrows for the naspa's) well, what about frost trolls? i have been pushing for these for YEARS! BELIEVE THAT!

If OL & EL are different, then wth? what about 'little dragons' too?

SO many models you just refuse to use, for your OWN reasons, it has fuck all to do with EL's code, contract, etc, and you know it!

the only 'real PK' we had, was when there was actual competition between parties trying to one up each other. right now, its dud

has been dud for so many years lol
yeah nah nah yeah nah yeah yeah nah yeah

#19 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:12 AM

PK in best gear it is no drop after all. not sure about time limits either. is fun to capitalize on others mistakes when evenly matched, and fight goes long.

allowing soft reset prior to event for pk build, soft reset after event for pve build should also be considered.... Posted Image Posted Image

Edit:add best of 3 fight per round/match up..gives players a chance to develop strategy over time for their opponent maybe?... with free resets between rounds this might be even cooler use of this ingame feature for PvP/PK contests.

Also once draw is confirmed, it may be necessary to let the two matched players set the date/time for their fights. may make it easier for those with work commitments and different time zones to participate. So I suggest instead of monthly event for a set date, the event might take place over a period of a month with winner determined at end of the month. ?

#20 Aine

Aine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

Alright bare with me...
I really liked the idea of everyone creating new characters for the pvp event. (thanks eats)

What if you were able to start a character..
You have from set date-set date to train you character...
One could train as much or as little as they wanted.
At  the end of set date we held the contest...
After the contest that character can not be used again until set date-set date prior to next event

as far as items,  (havent thought this part thru much)   perhaps we could all donate a certain amount of items, weapons..gear, pots and ess...  everyone would be guaranteed the same # of these items,, however, whatever your character is able to aquire during its training time is also usable......?????  not sure about that part..but what do you guys think?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pvp, contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users