19 replies to this topic

#1 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hi Guys!!

This posting/thread will provide the community with a monthly summary of Alroth map development, progress, assignments, status, as we move into 2018. Please note that specific map details discussions will occur in specific map postings.

The status list below provides some transparency of Alroth maps which have been committed by players to OL;

Map Maker player name:
# of Alroth Maps;  w/map numbers (and current status)

butler:
12 Human maps (#s); 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 28, 29, 30, 32. (pending audit)

battlewizard:
13 Elven maps (#s); 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44. (pending audit)
(03 Orchan maps (#s); 35, 49, 54 on hold pending completion of Elven)

makiltur:
02 Orchan maps (#s); 36, 37. (pending audit)
01 Anaith Fallora (#); 55 (not assign to a region - pending audit)

Zian:  
14 Dwarven maps (#s); 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 57. (released to Main)
03 Dwarven maps (#s); 6, 31, 33 (pending audit).

Feel free to contact the above (via forum/delayed pms) with any questions, comments, suggestions, you may have - if you don't receive a response, please contact me directly Posted Image

Regards
Z

Edited by Zian, 23 December 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#2 BattleWizard

BattleWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Location-

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hmm, I also did 34 (Caelora Rd), 35 (Caelora), 47 (Tessith), and Ekrin (15) as well and pending audit. Also, 54 and 49 are Orchan Maps.

#3 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

View PostBattleWizard, on 22 December 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Hmm, I also did 34 (Caelora Rd), 35 (Caelora), 47 (Tessith), and Ekrin (15) as well and pending audit. Also, 54 and 49 are Orchan Maps.

Nice catch BW! I've made the correction for Orchan map #s 49, 54 in my original post.

Thanks for your map suggestions for map names Posted Image - we'll have the community chime in on them before acceptance as we did with Dwarven Map names.

Map 35 is an Orchan map (see Alroth) as are 49 and 54! Maki has committed to two Orchan maps (36, 37)  which means the two of you should be on the same page so that the design/visual approach to Orchan Lands are visually consistent. So stick with Elven maps for now until you two connect.

Map #47 is a Draegoni map which I've removed from your list for the same reasons I've made regarding Orchan Lands!

Regards
Z

#4 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

View PostZian, on 21 December 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Hi Guys!!

This posting/thread will provide the community with a monthly summary of Alroth map development, progress, assignments, status, as we move into 2018. Please note that specific map details discussions will occur in specific map postings.

The status list below provides some transparency of Alroth maps which have been committed by players to OL;

Map Maker player name:
# of Alroth Maps;  w/map numbers (and current status)

butler:
12 Human maps (#s); 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 28, 29, 30, 32. (pending audit)

battlewizard:
13 Elven maps (#s); 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44. (pending audit)
(03 Orchan maps (#s); 35, 49, 54 on hold pending completion of Elven)

makiltur:
02 Orchan maps (#s); 36, 37. (pending audit)
01 Anaith Fallora (#); 55 (not assign to a region - pending audit)

Zian:  
14 Dwarven maps (#s); 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 57. (released to Main)
03 Dwarven maps (#s); 6, 31, 33 (pending audit).

Feel free to contact the above (via forum/delayed pms) with any questions, comments, suggestions, you may have - if you don't receive a response, please contact me directly Posted Image

Regards
Z

Update!

Please welcome Cardome and Codux to the OL Map Makers team!! Gus/Codux have been working with the Map Editor to assist with designing remaining Outline (Blank/empty) Maps which make the Alroth continent. The plan is to build Alroth with these Outlines (including DLs) prior to any further detailed, content design effort on each of these individual outline maps.

Current Status-

butler: Original Map Maker
Cardome will be building remaining Human Outline Maps!
12 Human maps (#s); 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 28, 29, 30, 32.

battlewizard: Original Map Maker - BW seems to have gone awol Posted Image
Codux is currently working on ALL Elven Outline maps!!
13 Elven maps (#s); 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44.

Zian: Original Map Maker
Codux will build the remaining Dwarven Outline Maps for #6, 31, 33!!
12 Dwarven maps (#s); 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 57. (released to Main)
Map 57 (Raven's Island) will undergo a significant redesign to convert this Gnome map to a Dwarven Map including a new Insides. T
03 Dwarven maps (#s); 6, 31, 33

makiltur: Original Map Maker
Orchan maps need work regarding borders/outlines in order to complete these initial maps. Once Human/Elven/Dwarven are complete, Cardome/Codux will help with remaining Orchan maps TBD!!!
02 Orchan maps (#s); 36, 37.
01 Anaith Fallora (#); 55 (not assigned to a region )

Regards
Z

#5 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

Alroth (the continent) Update!

Since my last update, the map team has completed 40 NEW Outline maps used as placeholders for building the Alroth continent.

Each outline map contains basic content such as the shape of the land mass, locations of water, mountains and borders with other maps. In addition, a map.def file containing basic map parameters including world x/y coordinates positioning each map within the world.

The significant benefit of these maps is they can be passed over to a map designer to begin adding content (buildings, roads, bridges, etc) saving a lot of prep time.

Many thanks to Codux and Cardome for their contributions (and time) supporting the above effort!

Next step is to upload the above maps and begin the work of matching them up with the Dwarven Lands which are already in place (see link below).

https://www.dropbox....tinent.png?dl=0

This work will require an iterative process allowing for fine adjustments to both map world coords and features within each map (if needed).

Regards
Z

#6 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Alroth (the continent) Update!

The Map Team has completed 48 new 'Outline' Maps required for building the continent. This brings the total number of 'outside' maps for Alroth to 60 which includes the 12 existing Dwarven Maps. (Note: the 60 maps do not include; cave, underground and inside maps.)

Link below shows the Alroth continent built with the maps as described above;

Regards
Z

#7 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

I've updated the previously posted image of Alroth that includes OL Races and their associated (numbered) map locations. Each numbered map has available to the map maker an existing 'outline' map .elm.gz file and a .def file.

I currently have no further plans with the continental map at this time.

Enjoy!

Regards
Z

#8 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Wow, great stuff Zian. Love the work you've been doing, and good to see some nice progress after a few years hiatus! :)

#9 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

Update!

Over the last week, you have received minor updates to 11 of the existing Dwarven Lands outside maps (AE, AD, TH, LD, ZM, BG, MG, DB, VL, GL and RH). These updates have addressed reported issues to date including activation of banners/flags.

At this time, I'm holding off on any map design effort until the community has had the chance to provide map related feedback/comments going forward. Please post your thoughts here so that a list can be generated.

Regards
Z

#10 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

TM needs teleport platforms to assists with speed of movement through the maps imo. Maps are too big and feel like WS and even WS has teleport pads in it

#11 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

Have that NPC 'Grenpah' or whatever his name is in TML1 to offer carting services for a small fee, choose whichever level you want to get teleported to :D

#12 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostWarlock, on 11 May 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Have that NPC 'Grenpah' or whatever his name is in TML1 to offer carting services for a small fee, choose whichever level you want to get teleported to Posted Image
1kgc sounds good.

#13 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:25 AM

Wondering about the NPCs in glittering caverns from Glingor, they are all still standing out their shops.  Shouldn't they be inside?
Also, there is a spot in that area for a storage, will that be completed?

#14 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

View PostAlddrA, on 12 May 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

Wondering about the NPCs in glittering caverns from Glingor, they are all still standing out their shops.  Shouldn't they be inside?
Also, there is a spot in that area for a storage, will that be completed?

Eventually, DL's TM/undergrounds/caves type maps will get an update. A Storage NPC (GL cave) was the original plan, however, was pulled back. Adding/changing NPCs in DL should be discussed further.

#15 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Was having a discussion in guild with Zian about harvestables and storages in TM maps and also on outside maps in the Dwarven Lands.  He suggested I post in the forum about it.

There is talk of slowly getting rid of Seridian lands and moving to Alroth, specifically DL.

Before we can do that, we need more storages in DL and more harvestables for us Harvesters/Mixers.

We harvesters need our products and our storagesPosted Image  

We cannot move to Alroth until we have our resources!

And of course, the fighters do need spawns for their levels, especially those that are beyond training on cyclops now.

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

DL is low level right now. I'd say for the highest level resources, it might be better to wait until we actually have a continent rather than the 5th of one before we start migrating the high end items over there, purely because you will want to structure the continental map to ensure that all maps are useful.

I'd consider this getting ahead of the ball. DL might not be the best fit once the rest is done.

tbh, i think it's mostly alright for storages, far better spread out than Seridia in places. Maybe one in Thunder mountain, otherwise I rather think there would be too many.

#17 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

If we wait for the whole of the continent...we will be here for another 10 years

#18 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostCoduX, on 16 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

If we wait for the whole of the continent...we will be here for another 10 years

So true, ty Codux

#19 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

Then make no pretence that they aren't temporary spots or spawns. I just think it's dumb putting a valuable resource in low level maps. Only map you could really put them in for high levels is VL.

#20 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

I'm planning to ADD more detailed location information to DL maps (outsides/insides/undergrounds).

What is location information?

When you click on your 'Compass' Icon (located at the bottom/right corner of OL Client) your location is displayed on the screen.

Example; I'm sitting next to Storil (NC Storage NPC) who is located in his barn in NC. When I click on the Compass Icon the Client displays "You are in  [near 172,175]". I think we need more detailed info to the player.

Note: I'm not updating any Seridia (EL) map but looking at DL maps only.

Looking for your comments/suggestions regarding better location information.

Regards
Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users