Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2578 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

ref:
https://www.other-li...nus/#entry19712
https://www.other-li...point-counters/

Since we now have a lot more information about longer term history of a kill and it's incorporating Ranging & Magic damage as well, might as well start a discussion about who gets to a bag.

The current system from EL is "Find the player or mob that did the most melee damage since they started fighting recently". This has multiple weaknesses that show-up more often as a fight takes longer. It doesn't account for Ranging or Magic damage at all and if you flee or die your damage is reset back to 0. Also, on multi-combat maps if the selected player or mob is also fighting another something else, nobody steps on the bag automatically,

With the new DamageTracker that is in place we could fix many issues, but a good clean definition needs to be made to account from some special cases as well as discussion by players.

Proposed simple form "Using the DamageTracker the player or mob that did the most damage and is close to the bag and not currently fighting somthing else gets it"

Where it starts getting complicated is the definition of 'close to the bag' since most mobs that is one step away, and from some larger ones is can be 2 steps away. I do proposed that the distance still follow the same rules as that.

Pros:
* If you flee or die but get back to there you may still be selected to get the bag
* If you use Ranging or Magic (with or without melee) your damage counts towards this if you are close enough
* player/mob healing removes damage assigned that hit the least recently, so if someone stops doing damage and there is healing it can forget about that person (helps reduce possible abuses)
* Reduces the chances of a bag serper being able to slip in and be given a bag since the damage tracking has a longer memory.
* With the added check of "and not currently something else" in multi-combat you increase that chances someone else that was helping will step on the bag instead of nobody if the highest damage giver is also busy,

Cons:
* Someone not currently fighting the mob can still get the bag. If this is important we can still limit the logic to only the players currently fighting while still using the DamageTracker damage total instead of the old EL info
* On multi-combat a bag serper that did damage could get the bag automatically if people that did more damage are busy fighting somethings else.

For now, please don't push this discussion towards a PartySystem. Once we are working on a PartySystem then we can talka about how that could modify things. Since OL allows anyone to get involved lets try to stay focussed on what we have currently and how to enhance it.

#2 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:51 AM

Correct me if i am wrong, but I have watched while tanking a group of mobs with current game mechanics when fighting with a hitter and a gatherer equipped.

My observations are - If i am using a gatherer med, and have done the most damage I can then turn to another mob and start hitting on it, by letting the hitter finish the mob, i still get the bag awarded via gatherer. (and now we share the bonus exp for the kill) At least this is what it looks like to me as the hitter i watch usually has a stars med on and you can tell which bags are theirs.

How does the bag get awarded in this suggested change?
Person who does the most damage is now fighting another mob while not wearing a gatherer how does he then step on the bag to claim it?

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2578 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:43 AM

The simple explanation of the current system is 'of the people still fighting the mob, the one that did the most damage' but the amount of damage clears out every time you flee, die, or change targets. If the person it selects has Gatherer, then they get the items instead of a bag dropping.

There are special cases it has to address, but the code does not attempt to give drops to any player not currently fighting the mob. If it does, then you hit a special case and the code is confused.

The idea being discussed is to use the long term damage tracker so that data isn't lost if you flee, but then have to make sure you are next to the mob to be a candidate for moving on to the bag in order to get the drop. All the logic for deciding ignores Gatherer in both cases, that is only a factor after the decision is made to decide if it goes into a bag or the player selected.

FYI, the selected player is also the one the gets counted for achievements and the server side kill counters. Which is another question on it's own, since who gets that wouldn't need the restriction of being close to the mob.

#4 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

Ah ok so would only work if still in combat with the mob regardless if flee or dissed earlier

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2578 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

View Postohmygod, on 05 April 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

Ah ok so would only work if still in combat with the mob regardless if flee or dissed earlier
Under the old system for sure.

Under the new system if you were next to the mob when it died whether your are fighting or not, you can be considered as long as you aren't fighting another mob. So under the new system if you Flee and then it dies, you may still be in the running for the drops. Even if you died and returned and were preparing to attack or just barely started attack ... all the previous damage you did would still be on your account (as seen in the new KillBonus processing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users