• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Some of you have seen the Experimental Pirates on Test. They will eventually be coming to Main, but not right away as well as other related mobs & features.

The main points about the Pirates and the special features they use:
* They can only be Player Races since you can't see clothing or worn items on monsters
* Most of what you see on them is eye candy to make things more interesting, but won't drop
* If they get an item as a drop, that will supersede any of the fake no-drop eye candy and will drop normally when kill
* Before going live their drops will be looked at closer to add more things normal pirates might have
* The modified drops will even include rare chances for some of the clothing being worn (non-Shop versions only)
* Before going live, their stats may be tweaked some and Ignore Levels tuned
* Pirate Captains will be worked on as Bosses, meaner and better chances for better drops
* Pirate Captains may even have chances for more coordinated outfits. The final is TBD and SAWolf will probably be heavily involved with this.
* Depending on maps & world history, we may make a native spawn using Pirates (including chances for Captains)
* The eye candy is done using what I refer to as Fake Wear Items, and will be available for Player Races other then just Pirates
* The Fake Wear Items is a special extension to the OL Drop System,
* The Fake Wear Items is currently available only if a new Mob Type is created
* Fake Wear Items do include items not currently in game
* I'm taking a look to see what it might take to add them to Boss, Spawns/Invas, & NPC's
* This opens up the possibility of more Themed Spawns without the risk of excessive item drops. Think City Guards on patrol in the City, Peasants etc. Feel free to post other ideas!
* If NPC's gain this feature, we will also have the option to change what additional things they are wearing at intervals without a server restart. Initial thoughts are Daily (OL time?), after-all who wears the same clothes every single day?
* What Fake Wear Items possible will be put into groups of drop lists and then assigned to mobs/invas/NPC's based on themes. That means weapons won't appear on them unless deemed appropriate for that theme.

What has made this possible is a side effect of discussions related to features being added to properly support Perks as well as for use in the future for Maps & Quests which lead to a simple way to get around the excessive dropping of some items with customized looks. The Priority now is back to Perks & rebuild the Wraith to support them while encouraging discussion on the Pirates and features related to them.

Hopefully, this will answer questions players may have. Some of this was done during the initial testing. I encourage everyone to talk about this and bounce other ideas and thoughts around. After-all, that's how we can make this a better game!

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Another application could be in quests.  However, it should be pointed out that the quest would give clothing item, or weapon, or crafting, etc...to allow the player to decide whether to do the quest or not.

#3 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

The idea of raiding Pirates does not go down well with the mixer inside me, however I can see it adding some interest and gameplay to some of what we do.

Could we replace the GWIS invasions with pirate raids on coastal areas, then for maps like PL (or the equivalent DL maps) a fully paid up GIWS would be enough to prevent raids on the port, a middle level GWIS would have guards that would help to fight the pirates, maybe leaving DB's for others to pick up? Low occupancy maps like GP would allow them to roam freely in the map. This seems to be a better role play fit that the current system, 2 minute warning given when sails are spotted, that sort of thing.

I don't really see Pirates as being normal mobs, but I suppose there could be a map where they do not attack on sight but have a random chance of attacking ( if drunk or something) or again, not attack unless one of their members is attacked then they would all attack the player who started the fight! :-)

just a quick thought :-)

#4 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Bat17, on 22 January 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

The idea of raiding Pirates does not go down well with the mixer inside me, however I can see it adding some interest and gameplay to some of what we do.
<snip>

Would say only add this to designated areas in thematically correct maps in Alroth (such as the human lands that I'm working on, there is a little pirate presence alluded to in the maps design).

Use the mob corralling AI that L's used already so they focus on taking an area, "occupying" portions of maps maybe, so people need to evict them. Would also mechanically differentiate them from monsters which just rush forward to kill, by making them focused on trying to hold land.

Just a fun idea.

#5 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

butler, on 22 January 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Bat17, on 22 January 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

<snip>

Would say only add this to designated areas in thematically correct maps in Alroth (such as the human lands that I'm working on, there is a little pirate presence alluded to in the maps design).

Use the mob corralling AI that L's used already so they focus on taking an area, "occupying" portions of maps maybe, so people need to evict them. Would also mechanically differentiate them from monsters which just rush forward to kill, by making them focused on trying to hold land.

Just a fun idea.
That is awesome! Adding onto this, even maybe when they come to invade, they stay and take control of ports/maps until a few brave fighters go and clean it back out. Otherwise, they rule that area or map.

#6 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Turn them into vikings! :-)

#7 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

focus on perks first PLEASE, as VOTED for

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

Warlock, on 25 January 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

focus on perks first PLEASE, as VOTED for
I am focusing on Perk, which is why after the initial proof of concept test for this I have done nothing else with it yet to give others a chance to think on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users