• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:10 AM

Is there any reason we can't add elemental arrows as a possible drop from high CL monsters?  I see them as equivalent to the fighters accuracy/evasion potions, if they could be introduced to the game sparingly via high CL drops.  I know ranging is due for a re-work but if we intend to keep the elemental system I don't see an issue with adding them as a possible drop to encourage more players to pick up a bow.  

The EL wiki lists the following for the Fire Arrow.
  • 15 normal damage
  • 35 heat damage
  • -30 Defense
  • -25 Accuracy
  • -10 Missile Accuracy
  • -15 Critical to hit

Im not positive how damage is determined by the arrows, but assuming that every 5 ranging levels grants +1 dmg and +1 accu, (and by doing a rough estimate based on my max damage with elven/training arrows)  I would guess the training arrow does around +5 normal damage.  I never did much ranging in EL but it would seem that the fire arrow is quite OP, and therefore maybe not suitable to OL without the higher end CoL / Rdholam.  Could their stats be modified? It would be fun to at least do some testing with them, to determine if they needed to be nerfed.

Hope this isn't a selfish request, feel free to tear the idea apart :D

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Have not yet tested if the bug fix for holding Elemental Arrows and fighting via combat have been fixed in OL yet. Plus there is an issue in EL that as you get better at ranging, the chance to Crit also goes up (affected by the same factors) which helps Rangers crit way to much there, even with the -15 from the arrow.

#3 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:24 AM

What exactly is the concern with ranging being to powerful? I felt that even in EL ranging is not overly powerful. It is just too expensive for regular use and, in most cases, requires team-work to become reasonably profitable. If the worry is that high-level players can be taken out in PK rather quickly, so be it, :P. At least it has the potential to level the field a bit ...

#4 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

-

#5 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

The main point I got from Duece is we should test to see if the elemental arrows need to have their stats looked at (which sounds like they probably do). We could argue all day about "what ifs" or "from EL it was this" but I feel like it'd be easy to get concrete evidence on how OP it is by using the test server.

We can't really discuss new reasonable stats unless we know what the effect the current stats could have if implemented today. If it gets on Test, then it falls to the players as their responsibility to do what needs to be done to drive results.

Of course I'm speaking with the assumption it'd be easy to add the elemental arrows on Test... I don't actually know the difficulty.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostBlakKat, on 20 February 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

What exactly is the concern with ranging being to powerful? I felt that even in EL ranging is not overly powerful. It is just too expensive for regular use and, in most cases, requires team-work to become reasonably profitable. If the worry is that high-level players can be taken out in PK rather quickly, so be it, Posted Image. At least it has the potential to level the field a bit ...

That is entirely not the worry, the issue is there are bugs related to elemental damage on the arrows + melee, it's also from EL, so it's position on balance is that of a gorilla crapping on a keyboard.

I kind of just completely disagree with this post. Ranging is already the easiest way to quickly kill big bosses here, and dead PK isn't going to be troubled by something you can just walk up to and stab to death, when nobody is there.

Also, right now they are working on perks, and then there's magic... and this would fall in ranging... maybe not add anymore distractions considering neither perks/magic have been delivered at all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users