• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Can we please have an update on how perks are coming along, haven't heard anything in so long.

A thread dedicated to that might be nice, so we can see they wont be another magic/ranging scenario :/

#2 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Second this

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

Monthly updates at least are good, same way that you'd inform people of progress on a good kickstarter or early access game/ project. Please do it.

#4 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

If you keep track of test server you will see Learner has rewritten the Wraith to enable it to sell you the perks. It is still in first phase which means it has to first do everything the old one did before it can get all the new stuff. But it was tested and seems to be in working order.

Before that he set up all the parameters to store the perks if you type #my_info on test server you will see a list of all the parameters currently set up with placeholders for perks. This also dovetails with the quests as all the quest flags are stored against the player in a similar fashion.

And maybe bookmark this thread as Learner does update it on a regular basis. (and because he edits the original it doesn't show in "New Content"

https://www.other-li...s-started-2018/

#5 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Why doesn't that thread at least post when it's updated? Just so people know when to check? Why make it more difficult to look for and find that info that's up to date? It's not great transparency. Again, will point out, this is a pre launch product, OL, it's alpha/beta/early access, whatever you like, it's in development and not a finished game that you could say has been launched (don't do the stupid arguments, please god). Any other product you invest into, on faith and what it is right now, such as closed betas, early access or kickstarters, or yes, random small games on the internet, you tend to see the best ones, the ones that grab the most people, and retain them, are very transparent.

So let me ask, why do we get small mentions from some people giving little background knowledge for things that in any other project you'd expect to be updated properly about.

When players need to be told oh, just check constantly these 3 or 4 places and you'll know, but they won't alert you to changed, and a large subset of your game doesn't know what's going on, you might have a transparency and communication issue going on.

So let me simply say, why don't we get proper updates as we'd expect in quite literally every other game, live service, or product in development. Why don't we have at least an attempt to spread information to give trust. Because frankly, from a lot of those left, and a lot of complaints catalogued in game and out, this obfuscation of any meaningful work has made a lot of people not wholly trust work is being done. And anyone who hasn't seen that from those that have left, or some in game, well...

Address the root of the issue.

#6 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

View Postbutler, on 13 March 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Why doesn't that thread at least post when it's updated? Just so people know when to check? Why make it more difficult to look for and find that info that's up to date? It's not great transparency. Again, will point out, this is a pre launch product, OL, it's alpha/beta/early access, whatever you like, it's in development and not a finished game that you could say has been launched (don't do the stupid arguments, please god). Any other product you invest into, on faith and what it is right now, such as closed betas, early access or kickstarters, or yes, random small games on the internet, you tend to see the best ones, the ones that grab the most people, and retain them, are very transparent.

So let me ask, why do we get small mentions from some people giving little background knowledge for things that in any other project you'd expect to be updated properly about.

When players need to be told oh, just check constantly these 3 or 4 places and you'll know, but they won't alert you to changed, and a large subset of your game doesn't know what's going on, you might have a transparency and communication issue going on.

So let me simply say, why don't we get proper updates as we'd expect in quite literally every other game, live service, or product in development. Why don't we have at least an attempt to spread information to give trust. Because frankly, from a lot of those left, and a lot of complaints catalogued in game and out, this obfuscation of any meaningful work has made a lot of people not wholly trust work is being done. And anyone who hasn't seen that from those that have left, or some in game, well...

Address the root of the issue.
This.

What I've been asking for years now but with no response so good luck getting one mate

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2403 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostSAWolf, on 11 March 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

If you keep track of test server you will see Learner has rewritten the Wraith to enable it to sell you the perks. It is still in first phase which means it has to first do everything the old one did before it can get all the new stuff. But it was tested and seems to be in working order.

Before that he set up all the parameters to store the perks if you type #my_info on test server you will see a list of all the parameters currently set up with placeholders for perks. This also dovetails with the quests as all the quest flags are stored against the player in a similar fashion.

And maybe bookmark this thread as Learner does update it on a regular basis. (and because he edits the original it doesn't show in "New Content"

https://www.other-li...s-started-2018/
That post doens't get updated because information can be updated several times a week and in order for it to show up as updated that means we'd have 20 pages of "Updated" posts.

The idea is to have ONE place people can look that are interested in a lot of details for many of the changes being made to the server. The more extra updates also means having to constantly do a lot more translation into what people will understand plus a lot more questions asking for the details.

#8 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostLearner, on 13 March 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

<snip>
The idea is to have ONE place people can look that are interested in a lot of details for many of the changes being made to the server. The more extra updates also means having to constantly do a lot more translation into what people will understand plus a lot more questions asking for the details.

So how does, at the end of the week, giving a very brief general update post hurt that though. Continue editing the primary post, but making a short post weekly/monthly with a brief synopsis of change would make it endlessly more digestible.

I will repeat, the game has trust issues, and this is a move that any other venture that requires it's community and the publics trust does. It's a bit more effort on your part to get much more information out, cut down on misunderstandings and miscommunications and make catching the information easier.

There is a reason why good kickstarters, early access, alphas and betas do this. There's a reason why under any steam game you have updates. There's a reason game sites often have an entire section devoted to it. It is essential information, and I'm sorry if it's a bit more work, but it's a standard that really ought to be achieved.

Tbh, i think it'd cut questions, or at least, reiterated questions, because less info will bypass people. It will be less of a sporadic 12 people have heard half of what's going on situation we have right now.

One place. Good. But have a point every so often to sit down and do an actual community update. If not, don't expect a community to be on the same wavelength as you. Don't expect them to be able to understand what's going on with you that's affecting the game.

It's not enough, frankly, just to leave it in a thread which get's easily buried. I didn't know about that thread since it's not ever visibly updated and it's buried in a sub forum that i didn't anticipate it to be in.

We're established players, been here for years, and so many of us don't have a scooby. What would a new player think? Can they see anything being updated? Can they ****. There's a reason why updates are so prominently displayed on most MMOs and early access ventures. You need them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users