6 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Tried to see if I could collect all of other-life videos on youtube into one playlist as the games name is possibly the worst possible thing for returning good results being that it's so bloody close to Second Lifes name.

So far I got videos in it from: To be a total of 117 videos in it currently, all currently organised from newest to oldest.

here's the link for the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW0o67VI_qkQKDfTVBcxauCInwUhFt0Ca

Had found another video, but it was DMCA'd for copyrighted music

Please post here or PM me so i can add any videos i've missed to the playlist.

EDIT: 9 May - Added 4 Videos By EatsAllLife

#2 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Just thought I'd also mention, after I've gone through the playlist again, about copyrighted music, being that not claiming the music as your own work doesn't protect you from YouTubes DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) style system they have going. I'm mostly mentioning, as above, i noticed at least one video had been taken down because of this, and a few other EL ones I've discovered as well.

Best to use royalty free services, such as these: Mostly putting this here, because any videos we do get up, we kind of want to keep up...

Also Germany has ****ing ridiculous laws in terms of music, and EL was fairly popular there, especially in Bremen, and would be good if the videos could pass the German YT Curtain

Otherwise there's always this fairly extreme option, but it relies on you knowing that those companies are rearing to take any videos with that copyright down: Also i know I've not made any videos and that, but I've had to learn some of these things for courses, and my brother is big into video editing. Don't berate me badly.

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

You tube has been know to take down videos under DMCA from people that owned the copyrights!

#4 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostLearner, on 23 April 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

You tube has been know to take down videos under DMCA from people that owned the copyrights!

That is largely because anyone can claim to own copyright, through forms, and youtube automatically processes it without real oversight. Youtube doesn't run actual DMCA, as it is counted as a "safe harbour" because it's rules are vaguely compliant, and enforce a level of "oversight," however, youtube does not have the penalties of perjury or such from filing false claims.

Because of the computer system they are running it through, it takes very little consideration of fair use, nor other nuances in copyright law, and it's very easy to abuse. See the example of Imagos Software v Alex Mauer or Digital Homicide v James Stanton for the problems.

However, sticking to royalty free does mean you should win on appeal on DMCAs after 14 days, since the companies generally let frivolous claims lapse, because otherwise they can be liable to court action, either having to raise the argument to a court or opening themselves to being sued.

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2451 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

View Postbutler, on 23 April 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostLearner, on 23 April 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

That is largely because anyone can claim to own copyright, through forms, and youtube automatically processes it without real oversight. Youtube doesn't run actual DMCA, as it is counted as a "safe harbour" because it's rules are vaguely compliant, and enforce a level of "oversight," however, youtube does not have the penalties of perjury or such from filing false claims.

Because of the computer system they are running it through, it takes very little consideration of fair use, nor other nuances in copyright law, and it's very easy to abuse. See the example of Imagos Software v Alex Mauer or Digital Homicide v James Stanton for the problems.

However, sticking to royalty free does mean you should win on appeal on DMCAs after 14 days, since the companies generally let frivolous claims lapse, because otherwise they can be liable to court action, either having to raise the argument to a court or opening themselves to being sued.
My point was about how overly generous they are about accepting such claims, including bots from other companies often file such claims without doing any checking themselves. So you have a dumb bot sending take down claims to a dumb bot, that then takes down material automatically.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, youtube is notorious for how easily it's copyright and content ID systems have been abused from single persons to corporations.

On another note, as I'd quite like people to expand the number of videos, I thought I'd chuck this capture software at you guys:

OBS
https://obsproject.com/

If you do make any videos, please PM me ingame, or forums, or post in this thread so I can keep the playlist updated

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Small update in this, 4 new videos added to the playlist from EatsAllLife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users