•  

Poll: Change Soft Reset time limit

poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Change the time between Soft Rests? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want to change the time between Soft Resets?

1. Yes, to once every two weeks (16 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No, leave it as it is (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2402 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

Currently you need to wait 30 days between soft reset. This was done as a compromise between those that wanted to do it as often as possible and those that wanted more stability between what players were doing to encourage more inter-player trading.

It has been proposed to due the waiting time down to two weeks. Sine there aren't many members active forums, the poll is limited two options only.

Other disussion related to this ... see https://www.other-li...oft-resets-why/

This poll brought to you by ohmygod

#2 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

I don't believe we should be reducing the cooldown for the Soft Resets. The more we do it, the more players can just ignore doing balanced player builds, or doing an actual plan with resets. One month is a long enough spell that it makes being entirely self sufficient by resets as longer process, and means that you get more trade going on. I think a fortnight is getting too often.

(in terms of doing it as often as possible, hey ho, why not just go full pay 2 win, let players with lots of money change from harvesting build to mixer to fighter to mage build whenever they feel like, and screw all those with less disposable income. I don't know why anyone would think as often as people fancied would be a clever idea)

Curious, why do people want it lowered?

#3 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

Do not need RL $ you can buy plats off chan @@3 from all your rabid fluffy dropped gc..

My last post on the matter. Read the other thread if you want reasoning's.

Edit: removed my comment that may be misinterpreted by certain individuals as me disliking free speech or thought..

#4 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

View Postohmygod, on 04 May 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

<snip> not everyone plays the game you do.

My last post on the matter read the other thread if you want reasonings

This is the place for discussion with it being the proposed poll. Unless you dig into other threads you won't find the reasons.

Also, not everyone plays the game the way you do either, let people have their opinions and leave your personal distaste for eachother out of it tbh.

View Postbutler, on 04 May 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

<snip> I don't believe we should be reducing the cooldown for the Soft Resets. The more we do it, the more players can just ignore doing balanced player builds, or doing an actual plan with resets. <snip>

I voted no for a similar reason.
The initial intention of soft-reset was to not remove all of your OA upon reset not much more, I kind of like it this way.

#5 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Just because the poll is to lower the cooldown time, you don't have to do it that often.  This is more income for L. also.  I voted yes.

#6 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

.........let people have their opinions and leave your personal distaste for eachother out of it tbh.
huh?

#7 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

View Postohmygod, on 04 May 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

.........let people have their opinions and leave your personal distaste for eachother out of it tbh.
huh?

View Postohmygod, on 04 May 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

Do not need RL $ you can buy plats off chan @@3 from all your rabid fluffy dropped gc..
<snip>
You're just taking pretty much unveiled digs at me, because you don't like me, for whatever reason, so...

In terms of plats, it's still much easier for a rich player to dig into his pocket and buy plats for cash than for a player to routinely do it with buying in game. This is basically how you do an exploitative F2P game, and get whales showering it with money, you just make the monetary option easier than the ingame earning option.

View PostAlddrA, on 04 May 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

Just because the poll is to lower the cooldown time, you don't have to do it that often.  This is more income for L. also.  I voted yes.

Yeah, but that doesn't stop the issue that some people will, and abuse it so that they don't need to have balanced builds, or do trading. It has a knock on effect to the games economy. Just because it gives Learner income doesn't mean it's the right choice for the game. For example, nobody could argue lootboxes wouldn't bring in shitload of cash, but it's a pretty good way of imbalancing a game.

The issue with arguing that you don't need to holds no weight, imo, because it's defeated by the fact that the change is exactly to make people able to do it.

Please consider the fact that the more you reduce this cooldown, the more you will make whales more powerful, and the more you will hurt the economy by making players less reliant on trading among one another.

Please give a solid reason why this is good for gameplay. I've heard none. It encourages players to be less thoughtful in how they play. Players moving from straight fighter to straight mixer to self sustain is already a little bit of an issue in terms of reducing trade and balancing builds. The more you're soft resetting tbh, the less likely your character is built with what you really want to do in mind.

I just think this will have a negative impact on actual gameplay and economy. I'd like an argument from those voting yes as to how it is a positive, rather than the sera sera, whatever will be will be attitude that seems to get things voted through by only thinking on the most shallow of levels.

#8 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Some light reading about how "soft reset" feature came into game originally. It may shed some light on other (past?) players perspectives apart solely from mine and yours perhaps?

https://www.other-li...ed/page__st__40

To others reading this, yes i may have lied about not making another post here perhaps... but it also seems to me that some players may be a bit anxious about this all or feel i am making a personal attack on them, for whatever reason... I have cast my vote and i ticked yes, feel free to cast yours how you wish, no animosity from me at all.

#9 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

So using the poll you linked to, do you see the amount of people voting for 1 month and 3 month + ? It's because Soft Reset is an incredibly powerful ability, and it's paid for with RL $. It is kind of pay for advantages, it is on the line of pay 2 win. Just because it's possible to get it in game does not prevent it going pay 2 win, if it's balanced to favour those with real life cash. I wouldn't say haidir passes, rostogols or therms were exactly the fairest shop items you could get, because they all gave huge advantages to player with cash over players with gc, since it's much easier for rich people to lay down what to them is a measly $15 than it is for a player 1200k, and keep doing that, over and over.

The more often you make people able to use this powerful tool, to reset, you make making balanced builds were you can do what you want, say fighting with a little bit of mixing, or pure fighting or mixing, less relevant. Just because you want to harvest during the week and fight at the weekend doesn't make soft resets a good idea. It means you should be putting inorganic nexus on your fighting character so you can do both.

And in terms of animosity, you keep making jabs about RPF drops (which you know, 2 EMP completely annihilates them being profitable) and posting things obviously aimed at players. I've had the same thing with other players, where they post passive aggressive or just plain aggressive posts directed at me only loosely connected to the thread. It gets tiring.

Can you, or anyone who voted yes please explain why the month long cooldown is too long, or what's wrong with it, in your own words. Can you argue it? If you can't argue it, do you actually have an argument? How would you try to convince me that this won't make the game more p2w, damage the economy due to more self sustained build swapping, or encourage people not to make builds to balance all their interests?

#10 SimAnt

SimAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

View Postbutler, on 04 May 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

I just think this will have a negative impact on actual gameplay and economy. I'd like an argument from those voting yes as to how it is a positive, rather than the sera sera, whatever will be will be attitude that seems to get things voted through by only thinking on the most shallow of levels.
yes please.

#11 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

the numbers are close so not as cut and dry as some would like to think this is. seems the numbers may mean that some people like to play OL in different ways than we might like to think they should.

Is this poll going to be majority wins?

Maybe a compromise can be reached seeing how numbers may be split so close for and against at the end?.

I say this regardless in the event of a yes win btw

#12 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

View Postohmygod, on 05 May 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

the numbers are close so not as cut and dry as some would like to think this is. seems the numbers may mean that some people like to play OL in different ways than we might like to think they should.
<snip>

Some players want to play the game in a way that's bad for the economy and the balance of the game. Tbh, I've still not heard a solid argument why the cooldown should be reduced. I've heard nobody address the arguments why it should not be reduced.

Again, so far the arguments you guys have given have been:
  • I want to harvest and mix on the week and fight on the weekend (put some nex into harvesting and mixing, like most of the rest of the game, solved)
  • L will get more money (which doesn't mean it's balanced...)
  • You don't need to do it that often, anyway (so, why reduce it. That argument isn't even an argument)
Versus:
  • It will make players far more self sustainable, which is always bad for the economy, as it reduces trading
  • It gives a sizeable advantage overs players who want to spunk out large amounts of RL money, and is heading towards a pay 2 win system.
  • It's discouraging balanced builds because you don't need to live with a build that can deal with everything you want to do for very long.
People resetting every month between mixer and fighter to self sustain themselves atm is bad enough of problem, why make it worse.

Please, If you guys can't explain why reducing soft reset is good for the game, rather than "good" for yourselves, do you actually have a reason for this to be done. Do you guys actually care about game balance, pay 2 win, or have any genuine reasons to vote yes.

All I'm seeing is people with too much money that want to throw it at the game so they get an advantage. If you want more money for OL, donate.

You can't argue your side so you have no argument.

#13 Ena

Ena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanuckistan

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Doesn't affect me since i never soft reset, except for the ones that are free. If they wanna do it, they can...who cares

#14 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostEna, on 07 May 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

Doesn't affect me since i never soft reset, except for the ones that are free. If they wanna do it, they can...who cares

Don't reset often, but it's people who wanted no cap on soft reset so that they don't need to sacrifice anything when fighting if they want to do mixing and vice versa. Effectively, the more often people can reset, the more they can ignore the need for nexus, or balancing their build, and just pay to have an advantage over players.

#15 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2402 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

A reminder that this Poll is still fairly close, and I'm not seeing a lot of discussion that might change the outcome. At this time I'm going to leave this Poll active to see if it can be resolve more decisively in either direction.

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone of the 15 who voted for the reduction of soft reset time want to actually voice any reason why it should be shorter? So far it's been I don't care, you don't have to, which generally hold no weight as arguments.

I'm just presuming, since no one is willing to argue for it, that the motivation is "I am abusing the current soft reset time to avoid making a rounded character, and I'd like to abuse it more" and "I don't care if it damages balance or economy or makes the game more Pay 2 Win."

If you can't actually voice an argument for an idea, does that idea hold up to any level of scrutiny. People who don't understand games, or don't care about the game, or both, are voting yes, whilst the only arguments in this thread are voiced against it. In channel, nobody said anything except, well the game's economy is fucked, so I don't care if we make it worse. The argument it gives Learner more money was tossed away by Learner himself.

You have no argument for what you're voting for, you are voting out of greed, ignorance and apathy.

Please prove me wrong and actually give a solid argument for why it should be shortened to encourage Pay 2 Win.

#17 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Personally I would say no to this. it does give some players quite a big advantage over some who may not have the $ to reset, or who have enough time to make the GC for the plat cost. Kinda P2WIN

#18 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:26 AM

A reminder that this Poll is still fairly close, and I'm not seeing a lot of discussion that might change the outcome. At this time I'm going to leave this Poll active to see if it can be resolve more decisively in either direction.

hmmmm as it stands, the very vocal minority don't want the change and the silent majority do.

#19 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:29 AM

I do not agree with the nay sayers.  No way is OL p2win.
If a player wishes to spend their gc on plats to soft reset or their $, it helps to support the game.
Where do you get the idea that Learner is so rich that he is able to afford to run the servers he needs to pay to bring us this game.
What about his time in re coding the game to give us players what we cry and bitch for?
Which one of you would give people a totally free game without adding some perks that would require some form of payment.
Only a millionaire can do that and he would charge something anyway.
This repetitive harping on p2win is getting very annoying.

#20 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Personally I would say no to this. it does give some players quite a big advantage over some who may not have the $ to reset, or who have enough time to make the GC for the plat cost. Kinda P2WIN
Not having a dig at you WL but custom game play is where Im at with this too, yet we get sucked into the P2WIN commentary, and i struggle to work out what the prize for the winner is...?

This term is being used too loosely in OL and we are not talking about someone dropping a $50usd store bought Thermal serp here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users