• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2459 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

While working on IM & Trigger commands to run at a later time, measurements were made of OL time vs RL time.

Everyone knows that OL time runs slower then RL time, Each minute is about 1 second longer then an RL minute. Testing showed that the time for a single second actually varied a lot more then people thought. You can't use the seconds on the digital clock to measure, thats just the client running that. On Test I actually measured minutes varying by almost a second in length with the avg being close to the approx 61 seconds we are used to, but for short times it could be way off for a while. The reason time seemed more constant was how it averaged out, while in reality individual seconds could vary unexpectedly

I've known why OL time is different from RL time, and that it could wander, but until now wasn't worried about how much. Now that I know hoe much ... Time to change Time!

Currently being tested! Locking in OL time so that 1 OL minute == 60.9 RL seconds, and any error that creeps in is self adjusted out of the system. After running more then 12 hours, no hour varied by more then 0.02 seconds in length. Most hours were within 0.01 seconds from the desired avg length. instead of differences of half a minute before the change.

To some this might seem picky, but this affects everything in OL! Even the length of the potions, spells, & cooldowns are affected by the length of a second. While they still are affected by when a minute or second tick happens, they will be more consistent then in the past. As I mentioned to someone else, how they are handled is also scheduled to eventually be changed to being based on when you drank the potion not the minute ticks after you drank it.

#2 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

Nice one L. Consistency. have noticed actually sometimes Cooldowns on pots or dis or something will say 'Not ready, this item still has a 1 cooldown.  But it stays like that for longer than a second. Also remember Nightmare dying a few times because of that and kicking up a storm.

And yeah, getting FULL use of your boost pots will be nice, boils my blood when i use a/d pots at the wrong second and instantly goes down to 4 mins left lol

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2459 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostWarlock, on 19 August 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

And yeah, getting FULL use of your boost pots will be nice, boils my blood when i use a/d pots at the wrong second and instantly goes down to 4 mins left lol
That won't be until a future update, but planned.

#4 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:09 AM

Good work L!!

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2459 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Sometimes the little things matter, in this case once I saw how much the length of a second could change I figured it would help everyone, not just what I was working on, so I bumped it's priority way up. Unstable time can mess you up when you sren't expecting it. Just trying to improve things for everyone now, and even more in the future.

#6 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

\o/

#7 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

well what do you know..I always thought it was just that my perception of time slowed at the end of each new minute when watching the clock while waiting to top up an a/d potion effect. Nice...

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2459 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

View Postohmygod, on 21 August 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

well what do you know..I always thought it was just that my perception of time slowed at the end of each new minute when watching the clock while waiting to top up an a/d potion effect. Nice...
Made worse by the seconds in the clients digital clock. Those tick off at realtime and then it has to pause and wait for the server to say it's a NewMinute

#9 bluap

bluap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

I noticed this dependency years ago when trying to write desktop applets and such that show the in-game time.  I spend ages trying to fix what I thought were my bugs then deciding I just had to live with what I assumed was intended functionality, and just re-sync regularly.  If I was going that again, this would help a lot. :)

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2459 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

View Postbluap, on 21 August 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

I noticed this dependency years ago when trying to write desktop applets and such that show the in-game time.  I spend ages trying to fix what I thought were my bugs then deciding I just had to live with what I assumed was intended functionality, and just re-sync regularly.  If I was going that again, this would help a lot. Posted Image
It's intended that an OL hour is longer then an RL hour. I did give Radu what 3 lines he can change if he wants to implement this and then he can lock it on at a specific rate. If you want to play with having the OL clock in the client be more in sync, the OL server tries to have 1 OL second equal to 1.015 RL seconds (1015ms). Of course, it does still vary, but then the server makes an effort to get it back into sync.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users