#1 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

Hey guys,

Think the time is right to get a start on the new tutorial island. This island is where new players will spawn onto and start their journey with us. This island will eventually replace Isla Prima on main.
The new island will have an overhaul on design, features, harvestables, locations, creatures and NPC's to better engage with new players and make their time when arriving to OL an easy journey.

The new tutorial is aimed to be extremely newbie friendly and will cover the basics on how to do basics of each skill, as well as being able to explore around yourself.
Graphically, we aim for this to be as beautiful and wondrous as possible, to engage the audience as best we can so they go "oh wow! That looks awesome, I want to explore more!"

It will be a huge project, but we'll have several people working on it, as this will define whether or not players stay around or take one look at it and assume it's just like another Runescape rip off and leave.

I leave you here with comments, suggestions, things you would like to see put in, feedback, anything really

"Let's make OL great again"

- CoduX 2K18

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:49 PM

The first think you need to ask yourself ... Is this a replacement for IP or a place only for newbies?

#3 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

replacement for IP. Having more experienced players wouldn't hurt to have access to come back and help out if they wanted

#4 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:41 PM

I'm in to start it.....how about you landed on this island through a picture you bought.

You are in this antiques shop and you see a picture that depicts a beautiful island with exotic trees and flowers and cute bunnies, and fairies and everything is so colourful with streams meandering through.

The picture draws you in and you wake up in the enchanting scene....

Maybe others can add to this and eventually we have a new Island:)

#5 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

Does the newbie need to complete all quests BEFORE they can leave the island?

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostZian, on 20 September 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Does the newbie need to complete all quests BEFORE they can leave the island?
I would think not.

#7 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

Using the assumption this new island will replace IP, would we want to separate the locations of beaming/ring and coming from the underworld? I feel like we could introduce some RP elements behind why we spawn/teleport to certain locations, or maybe have a fast healing area around the location you end up if coming from the UW to "regain your strength".

It'd be cool to have people see a glimpse of things like the dangers/thrills of invasioning (could also see the uses of magic/range/melee in a team sense) or the beauty of the lands through like cutscenes, but that's probably not possible. A bottle can dream though.

#8 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Why does IP even need to be replaced? its separated from Seridia anyway.

#9 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

I don't speak for Codux but I see it as, at the very least, updating the existing IP (both world design and tutorial wise) so it's more newbie friendly and gives a better 'selling pitch' for newcomers.

It could be overhauled so much so that it may be seen as a replacement, but could have the same name (wasn't sure if we're also changing the name)

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

There are advantages & disadvantages to changing IP. If it looks different, that will help people from EL remember this is OL, plus you can add enhancements to help new players learn how to play. The negative side is the time needed by map makes and Quest related code to adjust things so they don't break. Part of it is a questions of priorities and people wanting to make sure things work properly & don't break.

#11 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:55 AM

I will be focusing on making the map first as the foundation. Quests, npc, locations of things like mobs/harvestables can come later on.

I'm just reaching out for a general feeling of everyone's opinions on what they would like to see in the map-side of things foremost

#12 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

Which quests would be on this island?

#13 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

I'd love to have this map set purely focus for newbies with little to no reason why higher lvl's should come back unless they wish to help newbies.

Thinking of having several NPC's instead of just the one like previous. Each NPC is like a 'skill master' that teaches the basics of their skill and once completed, they move you onto the next one.
This allows the player to move around the map, exploring as you go and checking out things

From what I gather, there will be at least an NPC for;

Combat
Harvesting
Alchemy
Magic
Potion
*Summoning
Manufacturing
Crafting
*Engineering
*Tailoring
Ranging

* Not sure if will include these as of yet since they require to under-go significant development

So we are looking at least 8 or 9 different NPC's situated solely for the tutorial. This can be branched further for idle NPC's (tavern, residents, random NPC's).
I feel as if you do not have to complete the tutorial in order to leave..but we should give better thought out rewards for the more you complete the tutorial, rather than leaving as an incentive

#14 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:20 AM

These are all similar to Seridia Isla Prima.

However, what about giving the new player a glimpse of the new land (outside this island) that he will be spending the rest of his time on if this island is strictly an introduction to the game of O-L.
Of course, his final quest could be getting off the island to Dwarven Lands for which he actually gets a reward. Before he leaves, he should be informed of what perils lie ahead for him/her.

#15 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:17 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 22 September 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

Before he leaves, he should be informed of what perils lie ahead for him/her.
"Watch out in the main land, very few folk play anymore so it is difficult to make a living"

#16 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

The idea of Beam and Underworld will need to be sorted before you go far in the planning.
It seems odd that noobs will respawn on the island when they die, until they reach a certain lvl, then will suddenly go to the underworld and pop up in a new map completely.
if IP is just for noobs with no Beam back do we need to set a minimum lvl before a player can beam so as to stop them just beaming of the island but not being able to get back?
Similarly the Wraiths role needs to be sorted, noobs lvl pp to spend faster than anyone else! so two Wraiths? or do we even need a Wraith? could a Sto NPC be set to do the same job?

#17 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:18 AM

Codux, the purpose of building the island is to encourage newcomers to O-L!!! Not to discourage them with negative remarks!

#18 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:53 AM

I was being sarcastic

#19 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostBat17, on 22 September 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

The idea of Beam and Underworld will need to be sorted before you go far in the planning.
It seems odd that noobs will respawn on the island when they die, until they reach a certain lvl, then will suddenly go to the underworld and pop up in a new map completely.
if IP is just for noobs with no Beam back do we need to set a minimum lvl before a player can beam so as to stop them just beaming of the island but not being able to get back?
Similarly the Wraiths role needs to be sorted, noobs lvl pp to spend faster than anyone else! so two Wraiths? or do we even need a Wraith? could a Sto NPC be set to do the same job?

I agree with Bat's initial comment; The normal Beam/UW should be removed from a new Tutorial Map! However, a newb should experience 'death' and respawn to a relative 'safe' location. This will allow us to discuss normal beaming/UW within new Alroth Maps and as Seridia maps begin to be removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users