35 replies to this topic

#21 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

Don't really have the tools for creating new quests still so would be pointless in just having a starting map with no new quests to teach

#22 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostCoduX, on 02 April 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

Don't really have the tools for creating new quests still so would be pointless in just having a starting map with no new quests to teach
Most of the new tools have been built now except NPC interaction ... there is LOT incolved with any Quest writing, no matter how its done.

#23 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Bump!

Based on the posts so far show I see a strong sentiment to create a NEW IP map and make it original to OL.

So having said that, IP needs to be renamed to something else, any ideas!?

Second I like the idea that there would be a specifc areas, for newbs returning from UW, Spawning into the game for the first time.

Set up a small town with typical merchant shops/npcs so they can learn how to interact with them.

Maybe have a small yard for killing a high CL mob eg. like the EL deer. I recall my experience which was '... I feel comfortable i can kill that damn deer therefore my confidence level is to the point I could leave the island.

I kinda like Ald's idea about entering game for first time...I invision (once char has been created) spawning inside a building (with one or more rooms) then learn your way outside. The newbie would gain experience with game mechanics/interactions char v. world.
Hope Codux is still willing to support this effort. Sounds like tons-o-fun

Regards
Z

#24 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

While I don't mind having an area for newbies, I do have something in general against 'small yards' or areas where mobs are trapped for slaughter. Plus, the reason the deer was removed from IP is in EL it was killing too many newbs!

#25 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:20 PM

How about we name the new IP "Roth Isle". Also the newbie quests could be similar to EL of course since we have the same skills.
Like Zian's idea of (Set up a small town with typical merchant shops/npcs so they can learn how to interact with them.)

Maybe the Wraith really should stay on Roth's Isle.  What's wrong with having to (#beam me) there or do you also want to change that command?

I don't understand what kind of tools CoduX is talking about.  Isn't it the same as the way quests go in EL?

That's about all I can contribute to this thread.  Hope it helps.

#26 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

OL Quests will NOT use the same system EL is using. I'm working actively to trash that system which requires you to be a programmer, be careful how you use things, and sometimes a syntax error it compiles and is totally trashed when run. It also required any NPC's involved in it to be written totally in that scripting language and high risk of copy/paste errors and combines portions of every Quest on NPC is involved in into the code for that NPC ... instead of being able to have a single file that defines that Quest.

#27 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostAlddrA, on 25 April 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

How about we name the new IP "Roth Isle". Also the newbie quests could be similar to EL of course since we have the same skills.
Like Zian's idea of (Set up a small town with typical merchant shops/npcs so they can learn how to interact with them.)

Maybe the Wraith really should stay on Roth's Isle.  What's wrong with having to (#beam me) there or do you also want to change that command?

I don't understand what kind of tools CoduX is talking about.  Isn't it the same as the way quests go in EL?

That's about all I can contribute to this thread.  Hope it helps.

Re; Map name - Roth's Isle. Cool name Alddra, might be an issue when trying to define the abbreviated (abbr) version, in this case would be 'RI' which is used for Raven's Isle.

#28 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Roths Haven RH for short.

#29 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:00 AM

Can make the story a bit more interesting though than just starting out in a tavern or someplace for the hell of it..would be nice to make a story out of it as such;

*you are groggily awoken by the sounds of the barkeep, Fiona as she starts to set up for the day*
"You scared away all of my customers with your drunken antics last night" Fiona says sharply, "I am also afraid to tell you that your captain and crew mates have set sail without you..they won't be back until the next harvest".

*You are a prisoner set for the death penalty. You are standing there praying to the gods for one last redemption when suddenly a hole breaks open behind you*
A strangers head appears and looks flustered.
"Quickly now" he ushers you. "We only have 10 minutes before the guards make their round again. Time is against us".

You can literally make anything sound good with the right words and story plot, and let the readers and players use their imagination for the rest.

#30 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:07 AM

Good suggestions CoduXPosted Image

#31 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

Hey Timmy!! Thanks for jumping in!!

Good storyline/quest ideas (above) for a new Alroth Start/tutorial Island Map --- to be now known as "Roth's Haven"!

After reading your responses under Alddra's Quest! (https://www.other-li...sts/#entry21761) you will provide Questing storylines in a draft form to OL scriptwriters. We will need volunteers to take your drafts and convert them to OL scripts for test and release into the game.

We should assist Tim with developing the structure/format of his output and how much of the content can be shared publicly. They are quests btw!!! :) Timmy can start with a new post as "Alroth - Quest Writing" to provide focus and sharing of all quests for further review/comments as needed.

Regarding your post https://www.other-li...and/#entry21051), you can't support as a mapmaker for Roth's Haven due to rl commitments.

I will create a new post to focus on the map making an aspect to Roth's Haven Isle probably named as "Alroth - Roth's Haven Map"

Please confirm if my interpretation of your posts is correct!

Thanks again Tim!!

Regards
Z

#32 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Idea: Have a couple different 'versions' of new IP map.

Snow

Wet

Dry

Use triggers either manual or by server somehow for which version of said map we see. If its Christmas time as example we switch to Snow version, would look GREAT with us able to have snow falling

Unsure how that would work for players sitting in said map AFK, maybe they only see the change in map version when they respawn back there/leave map/re enter(?)

Have seen this in many other games, different versions for time of year or so :-) either way its just more dynamic and would look awesome

#33 Jandor

Jandor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

I like the idea of starting out in a room, or building, where you have to learn to do basic things like harv'g fruit, eating, healing (leave a couple potions on a desk, or a starter pack or something)  etc before you are able to leave and enter Roth's Haven better prepared to play the game.  Many games start out with a story line to draw the new player in so I agree that would be a good introduction to the game.  I also like Warlocks idea of making the map seasonal.  That would be cool, I mean, the map gets dark at night, why not covered in snow during the winter?  Too bad all the maps dont 'adjust for the season.'

#34 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

View PostWarlock, on 27 April 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Idea: Have a couple different 'versions' of new IP map.

Snow

Wet

Dry

Use triggers either manual or by server somehow for which version of said map we see. If its Christmas time as example we switch to Snow version, would look GREAT with us able to have snow falling

Unsure how that would work for players sitting in said map AFK, maybe they only see the change in map version when they respawn back there/leave map/re enter(?)

Have seen this in many other games, different versions for time of year or so :-) either way its just more dynamic and would look awesome

View PostJandor, on 27 April 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

I like the idea of starting out in a room, or building, where you have to learn to do basic things like harv'g fruit, eating, healing (leave a couple potions on a desk, or a starter pack or something)  etc before you are able to leave and enter Roth's Haven better prepared to play the game.  Many games start out with a story line to draw the new player in so I agree that would be a good introduction to the game.  I also like Warlocks idea of making the map seasonal.  That would be cool, I mean, the map gets dark at night, why not covered in snow during the winter?  Too bad all the maps dont 'adjust for the season.'

I like the idea of a winter scene in the started map too! However making ALL of Alroth alternate seasonally would require alot of work. I'm not saying it couldn't be down, just require a hell of alot more map work.

Regards
Z

I agree that the started map

#35 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

Maybe make some of the maps next to the snow maps seasonal, gaining snow during the 'winter' would be enough for now.

#36 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

View PostZian, on 27 April 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hey Timmy!! Thanks for jumping in!!

Good storyline/quest ideas (above) for a new Alroth Start/tutorial Island Map --- to be now known as "Roth's Haven"!

After reading your responses under Alddra's Quest! (https://www.other-li...sts/#entry21761) you will provide Questing storylines in a draft form to OL scriptwriters. We will need volunteers to take your drafts and convert them to OL scripts for test and release into the game.

We should assist Tim with developing the structure/format of his output and how much of the content can be shared publicly. They are quests btw!!! Posted Image Timmy can start with a new post as "Alroth - Quest Writing" to provide focus and sharing of all quests for further review/comments as needed.

Regarding your post https://www.other-li...and/#entry21051), you can't support as a mapmaker for Roth's Haven due to rl commitments.

I will create a new post to focus on the map making an aspect to Roth's Haven Isle probably named as "Alroth - Roth's Haven Map"

Please confirm if my interpretation of your posts is correct!

Thanks again Tim!!

Regards
Z
Pretty much correct mate. I'm busy this week settling into the new house and new job but will start to turn my focus more so on the starting of the quests you've mentioned next week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users