15 replies to this topic

#1 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:28 PM

Moving forward with advertising OL more so we can potentially gain more players, I'd like to add the suggestion of putting OL up on the Steam platform.

Steam is a free to use gaming platform that is the most popular in the world. Smaller games than ours have made it just because they have been uploaded on there and had random players checking it out.

Fee to put your game up on Steam is $100 USD. I'm sure that we could all chip in some for this payment to help Learner out from paying it.

I would do this myself but they also require things like tax information, bank details and be the owner/co-owner of your game which really only Learner is. I don't know if Radu has to be involved as well or not but this is something that I'd be keen on doing and helping out with.

Anyone else interested?

#2 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

I'd chip in 20 bucks. Steam i'm sure would bring new players, this is atleast a step in the right direction and im happy to contribute towards that

Any platform is better than none!

#3 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:26 AM

I would help with $10Posted Image

#4 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

100% yes!  I think “free MMO” are still very popular keywords that will undoubtedly attract new players if OL were on Steam.  Totally worth the time and money required to make the game compatible with steam and their ToS. I think OL meets all of the requirements, but as CoduX said it does require some personal information from Learner.

#5 WaterBottle

WaterBottle

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

I would contribute towards the fee if we get to that point.

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

Who will step up and take responsibility for making sure that it everything is done to that will be needed to put it on Steam and make sure all requirements and updating is done? You don't just so put it here, you need to make sure that it can be done without just dumping even more work on me.

#7 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:32 AM

Few things that I've seen about it;
  • Sign the digital paperwork. You’ll need the information as detailed below.

• Pay the app deposit fee with any supported Steam payment method as detailed below

• Complete the paperwork with your bank and tax information as well as identity verification so that we know who we’ll be doing business with.
Now you have access to Steamworks and can begin preparing your title for release. You’ll need to build your store page, upload your builds, configure any Steamworks features, and enter your desired pricing. We’ve worked hard to streamline our tools and document all the features and functionality available to you. Check out the form W-9. Citizens and corporations in a country with US tax treaty status will need information similar to that found on form W-8BEN.

All required information is necessary to get you set up in Steamworks.

Product Submission Fee

In order to get fully set up, you will need to pay a $100.00 USD fee for each product you wish to distribute on Steam. You can pay this fee with any payment method supported by Steam in your region.

This fee is not refundable, but will be recoupable in the payment made after your product has at least $1,000.00 USD Adjusted Gross Revenue for Steam Store and in-app purchases. Payment of revenue from sales and repayment of fee may be withheld if deposit payment is charged-back, refunded, or otherwise identified as fraudulent.

Seems to be ok...just need to do some prepping before we do this like getting some nice video's showing off the game, maybe some photos..also might have to set up a separate bank account if I'm going to be doing this

#8 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

Also wanted to point out that since we are community driven..if this goes ahead this is our responsibility that it's up on Steam. I'm happy to set it up and help Learner out here with it.

But we have to expect a lot of negative reviews because of how things are ingame currently, however, can expect a lot of new players incoming once it's released to the public and even positive

It's a bold move to attempt this if the majority of players are keen to have this move forward..

#9 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:44 AM

Sure

#10 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

This topic would be part of an overall OL marketing plan. I'm not aware of a market plan as such.

Using Steam as a distribution platform for OL seems interesting...however it's not clear how Steam would 'market' OL, maybe expand on this aspect a little? U mentioned Pics/videos/etc. - does Steam premier OL visible as NEW for the first month then bury it?

#11 KrashedYou

KrashedYou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

I'd pitch in too btw

#12 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostZian, on 27 September 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

This topic would be part of an overall OL marketing plan. I'm not aware of a market plan as such.

Using Steam as a distribution platform for OL seems interesting...however it's not clear how Steam would 'market' OL, maybe expand on this aspect a little? U mentioned Pics/videos/etc. - does Steam premier OL visible as NEW for the first month then bury it?
What it does is that you add pics and videos to make OL 'look' good and appeasing.

It would be under 'newest added' F2P games which a lot of people look when searching for MMO's or games in general. We will have several hundred new people within the first week I'd assume. Can't guarantee they will stay but it would be hectic.
After that, it would probably die down but depending how often OL gets downloaded, it could get added to 'most popular' which would be pretty insane..would have HEAPS of people coming in if that happened.

After every update though I would update it and it would go back to the top of 'newly updated' list as well so that's something

#13 Kaddy

Kaddy

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

It would always show up in “Free2play MMO’s” anyways so that would always get clicks.

But the hard thing is to keep people rather than getting new people.

Maybe it’s time for Learner to man up leave his ego to do everything alone and his perfectionalism and his sentences with “keep in mind that” and get some help or a hand. Getting some cash out of Steam would help aswell.

My personal idea is: Learner doesn’t really want OL to grow considering the amount of gameplay changes within 5 years. He is a great coder (that’s why we have much much better background systems such as .def files etc) but a terrible developer. So he doesn’t have the balls for Steam. Sad but true #hailMetallica

#14 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostKaddy, on 28 September 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

My personal idea is: Learner doesn’t really want OL to grow considering the amount of gameplay changes within 5 years.

6* years now :x HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY OL!!! \o/

And I would have to agree. They say;  "insanity is doing something over and over and expecting a different result each time" -- how many times has the Steam 'pitch' been brought up? Spoken about and buried like the rest of the great ideas in this forum?

View Postbutler, on 14 January 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Just an idea, why not make a steam hub for OL learner?

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 11 June 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

OL isn't going to expand much at this rate, and for 100$ and a little bit of effort you could list it on one of the biggest gaming platforms in the world... probably the biggest to be honest. OL is also better than a lot of the free-to-play trashy games you can find on there.

I doubt there will be many people who stick around after trying it, and you will probably have to code up a more reliable way of delivering plats to people, but you would actually get people to try out the game, and a lot of these people will have some cash to throw at microtransactions in their steam-wallets.

Ps: if you are going to say 'but OL isn't ready yet, lets wait for magic update/item update/ranging update/etc' then I am just going to laugh at you.

For real tho:
Magic System? What a joke. I'd actually undo the dumbass changes you put in. If it aint broke don't fix it, ya zimmie?

Perk System? Back benched for what.... No, seriously, what the fyck did you bench perks for? Just release what you have. Make changes and tweaks later.

Triggers? You only started to think about automation @ 6 years in... You're kidding me right?

I'll also you refer you this entire topic from earlier this year:
https://www.other-li...not-a-business/

What a shit show that was....

I honestly hope that L does grow a pair, or at least give up trying to bullshit. Ultimately what have you got to lose? A game that is costing you more money to run than you get in donations?

INB4

View PostLearner, on 18 April 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

This isn't news.

#15 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

Actually, the triggers and the supporting subsystems has been in the works a long time, not just something I just decided to do. It was some of the work done for Perks and making sure that the proposed systems used by Triggers also worked with it that made the automation possible at this time. The work done on triggers also helps with Perks and will improve how restrictions are put in for Perks conflicting with other things (using the [CONDITIONS] clause).

#16 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

If Learner is OK with the idea, can we move forward with organizing how we can start marketing OL?  A marketing plan would be ideal, but given our resources perhaps we can simply brainstorm a list of things we’d want before signing any “contract” with steam.  Video(s), screenshots, lore(?) are things that the players can produce.  A streamlined platinum purchase/delivery system also appears to be a Steam requirement as mentioned by Starc, which would require development time of Learner.

I’m happy to help where I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users