• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Coffee

Coffee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Ok, so this might be known to a lot but might help a few who doesnt know this little trick on how to activate sound warnings. This can be helpful for a number of things like if you need to afk/check something in another window while playing/afk'ing/or whatever. Requires that you have sound.

step 1. is to make sure you have sound effects enabled obviosly ingame, under settings -> audio -> character warning sounds volume above 0
(if you get tired of hearing it when not afk/not needing it all you then have to do is set character warning sounds volume to 0 until you want it turned back up :)

step 2. find the file called sound_warning.txt in your OL folder. For most people that would be in C: windows(version you're using) -> program files (or program files (x86) -> Other-Life -> sound_warnings.txt. Open the text (usually opens automatically in notepad) You'll then see a text file that looks like this:

# This file is configuring sounds based on text displayed in the console
#
# Format for this file:
# Sound = Text to match
#
# The default sounds available are:
# alert1, alert2, alert3, alert4
#

alert1 = This is a test message

step3. all you have to do is deside what you want a warning for, say you harvest a lot you want a warning for when you stop. All you have to type in is the name of the ogg file name and what triggers it. In my example I use sheep when I stop harvesting, so I put in sheep = You stopped -and save the file (restart game to take effect). Now my file looks like this:

# This file is configuring sounds based on text displayed in the console
#
# Format for this file:
# Sound = Text to match
#
# The default sounds available are:
# alert1, alert2, alert3, alert4
#

alert1 = This is a test message
sheep = You stopped

step 4. do the same if you want other alerts, feks if you die or you want a warning when GIWS happen (in that case make sure you have audio for text warning messages as well). Look in the folder sound (same place) and look at the names available and test them out, you can choose any of the ogg sound files. In my example I used sheep as it isnt used ingame by anything else since we have no sheep.

I hope this little guide is useful, and if there's something that doesnt make sense let me know. Happy gaming :) - and dont forget to restart your game client for the sound warnings to take effect

Coffee

#2 Warlock

Warlock

• PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Thanks alot coffee, good info to have. Never even thought it was possible to have PM notifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users