•  
- - - - -

Character progression vs Farming - What is the difference?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:37 AM

See topic question.

A comment made today regarding farming of the Red dragon for ultra rare item drops got me thinking about this question.

I dream about swinging a pretty pink sword in game and become a demi game god, <insert manic cackling noise> but I fear i will be called a farmer if the stuff i want does not drop the first time the team kills it.

#2 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:50 AM

Hoping my tongue in cheek post does not get the Red dragon loot list nerfed, cause farming is certainly to be discouraged no matter how how many hours fun I think i may get out of it.

:)

PS : Farming ores on my alt for gc to buy matter ess to level magic to #1 so put your order in. pm hal online.

#3 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

FARMING: Farming is growing crops or keeping animals by people for food and raw materials. Farming is a part of agriculture.

There is nothing wrong with farming, it is part of life and required to maintain sustenance. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2507 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:50 AM

When I made a comment in game about concerns of people farming Red Dragons it was based on people saying every RD would get an ultra rare item and the response was also that then RD only spawns once every 6 hours. Do the math on 6 hour spawn interval and always having an ultra rare items.

The math says 4 per day, 28 per week, about 120 per month ... and that ignores invasions or possible uses in Events. That means pretty soon the ultra rare items are now common and not even rare.That would have a major effect on people wanting to make or use the normal totally throwing everything out of balance. That means even having an RD would have to become rare or every RD can't have an ultra rare item or the game goes totally to pot!

#5 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

View Postohmygod, on 16 January 2019 - 04:37 AM, said:

See topic question.

A comment made today regarding farming of the Red dragon for ultra rare item drops got me thinking about this question.

I dream about swinging a pretty pink sword in game and become a demi game god, <insert manic cackling noise> but I fear i will be called a farmer if the stuff i want does not drop the first time the team kills it.

Even though OMG did mention farming and we probably would, we still would not expect an ultra rare drop every time we killed it.  For one, it will cost a lot resources, but it will be great fun to experiment to try to kill it quicker each time with lower costPosted Image

What is wrong with that?Posted Image

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2507 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 17 January 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

View Postohmygod, on 16 January 2019 - 04:37 AM, said:

See topic question.

Even though OMG did mention farming and we probably would, we still would not expect an ultra rare drop every time we killed it.  For one, it will cost a lot resources, but it will be great fun to experiment to try to kill it quicker each time with lower costPosted Image

What is wrong with that?Posted Image
The comments I saw maybe me think people expected to get those sorts of drops and omgs "Hoping my tongue in cheek post does not get the Red dragon loot list nerfed" comment supports that interpretation or at least them happening very often.

There are other factors to be thought about as well. For example the ultra rare book drops ... you can only read one of each so the effect on those is even more pronounced.

#7 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1132 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

I wouldn't agree with every single time an ultra rare drop drops on a RD..but if we make it a 6 hour CD (apparently that what is being suggested here) then at least give it a somewhat chance to drop.
I feel ultra rare would be like 5-10% chance, especially if it's only 4 a day

What do I know though..didn't even know there was RD's in OL

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2507 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

There are no RD's in OL yet ... but work is being done to bring them in including adjusting there drops (which currently are gc only). SAWolf has been getting input for people as to what should happen to the drops, and I'm just trying to point out that people need to think more about the whole game, not just that single fight.

#9 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for your comments.

I was a little worried because it is in my experience that all the background update work that has been done over the years so far has made it simpler to create mobs for players to kill, and we see a lot of this work during invasions in the form of wildly different stats on mobs (buffed/debuffed). So i am guessing that the implementation of a red dragon spawn for OL would be something that can be implemented right now in the game without too much extra work or coding.

but it will be great fun to experiment to try to kill it quicker each time with lower costPosted Image
That is team progression if they are able to kill quicker. imo over time more people may have the opportunity to get  better equipment made and develop and fine tune strategies/skills etc. This would be a great way to spend the next 6 months on game play wise. (I do not think every red dragon will be killed between timers, if it takes a team to kill. due to low player population)

There are other factors to be thought about as well. For example the ultra rare book drops ... you can only read one of each so the effect on those is even more pronounced.
Agreed there was at one point ultra rare books put up for auction  and no one bidding because everyone that wanted one had one. But if everyone has read all the lower level elemental sword books, why are we not seeing every man and his dog running around with elemental swords? (besides the fact they suck for fighting with)

I am guessing part of this may be because there are so many people that can make them, that they are competing with others to get the required stock pile of ings to actually make them, making them even rarer. (or they have made them and just use for decoration because they suck damage wise, I have had 3 elemental swords and gave 2 away)

More people running around and using higher end elemental swords would increase the chances of item breaking leading to more demand for rare ings for their repairs?

My choices on the loot list spreadsheet (which were deleted?) was to remove the junk items that could be made or obtained easy in game and have it only roll its drop from selection of the ultra rare items books, modable swords, and guarantee a set amount of stones to drop. (replacing the permanent scale drop).

The rolling of loot from the list that is left  would randomise the (now not so) ultra rare drops enough perhaps to the point that doubles may drop at times (they have it already) and have to try again next time for what they are waiting for. Even with a small player population obtaining every book or item that 1 player wants/needs will take time, times that by the numbers in the team and what they are seeking and there will be months of fun just in the gearing/mixing/obtaining. Which may help distract from the slow pace of perk development.

EDIT ADD: Books in my storage from low level mobs drops that i have read already are sold to the book buyer npc with no detriment to the game?

#10 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:25 PM

Well said OMG.

I would rather see the RD buffed and/or have it’s respawn timer extended over nerfing the RD drops.  As it stands, RDs are easier than Gigantas, which we’ve been killing for years.  Still, it goes without saying that “dropping an ultra rare” every kill would nullify the concept of a rare item and contribute to the disgusting amount of inflation we already have.

So, I would rather see the RD as a truly special encounter that requires a larger team.  In other words, don’t make this “boss fight” easily farmable.  Drop rate imo should be 2-5% for a rare, and perhaps even less for an ultra rare that hasn’t yet entered the market (invis/TS books, tit long elemental books?).  This combo would entice players to log on, more so than having yet another farmable creature in game

#11 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

7-10 people in the team 1 ultra rare drop still means only one person can have it even if it is a guaranteed roll for an ultra rare drop each kill. Just saying.

I am easy either way. but for me having a 24-48hr (72hr - 1 RL week??) timer may be better than risking all and having to kill 100 of them in a shorter period with nothing to show, as 2-5% for loot does seem like a lot of hit and miss for the effort being suggested it would/should take to down it. If we are finding teams are killing it 3min after it respawns then it is not an uber+ class mob and rejigging certainly needs to be done to it.

Also, just thought and totally off topic i would add, how many movie dragons do you see that are not controlled/subservient to a particular person, that does not have a HUGE treasure horde accrued somewhere, even their body parts/blood is portrayed as being prized and extremely valuable for something once killed (drifting even more off topic now, but movie rangers are very OP and even though i envision they would play a role in potentially dealing the most damage in these OL dragon killing teams (even at low skill level) i would hate to see them one shot one no matter how big the arrow or bow. :P

Just to increase the risk vs reward factor for this mob, I would also be fully agreeable at this point that we give it the gatherer perk to pick up the fail tanks or unwary players DBs to add to its own dragon horde of treasure until it is killed. Hmmmm thinking ...thinking.... Rage quit or stay logged in for few more hours with this fail team to try recover 1st 2nd or 3rd DB :) I am rambling on now, but i really do like this idea of introducing new native buffed to uber class+ Mob in the form of an RD to OL and again have a feeling it will not take much tweaking to make it happen as a sooner, rather than later game update, if there is the will to make it so that is.

#12 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Just throwing this out there.  What about an Ice Dragon spawn on the top of TML4?  Randomized 24-48hr respawn time. Give it a horde of yetis if you want (that also have a long respawns time). 5-10% chance for an ultra rare, less for a rare that hasn’t entered the market yet. I agree with the notion that this boss mob should be a rare and difficult encounter with a solid chance to make profit if killed.

In addition, I would like this mobs minimum gc drop boosted as to not be a complete gold sink.

It might be a little bit early for me to think rationally, but last think I’ll mention is the idea of boss special attacks.  I know this would require a lot of development time.  Still, I know there are *some* mechanics in place for a boss “special” (I’m thinking of the castellan I think?) while it might not be possible with our current kit to have a frost breath attack freezing the tank in place, it would be sweet if the encounter had a special attack of some sort thereby making even more of an interesting fight

Edit- I would not put gatherer perk on this mob.  This really disadvantages the tank of the group, and the tank is already the one spending the most on resources

#13 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

https://www.el-wiki.net/Castellan

how cool, have the RD or ID summon its own mini horde and heal itself during the fight.

I have my doubts this will get off the ground if we get too technical at this stage though and i really would not want to stop the work on the perks if there is extra coding required..

#14 Hecate

Hecate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

If worried about the ultra rare drop every time, what about an event where only a red dragon pops up, it's hard to kill it can summon mobs and heal it's self, but with a 6 hour period to kill per team. And event (think of name like RDTE -Red Dragon Team Event) happens once a month so ppl can get ultra rare item, and other drops. Only problem would be is that every member would want a ultra rare item, but don't want everyone to have one ofc, and them not farmable. So how about if you die you cannot come back, and also what about a fee to enter like 25k gc to enter, but if you loose then you get 10k gc back and after you kill the item it will give 10-25k gc per atk and def, and if magic was used 5k magic exp and 25k gc, and the drops

#15 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:37 AM

The tools that IMs/mapmakers have do sound amazing and i am envisioning that they can now create some awesome challenges for players to complete as a team or solo given time and create the in game content that will drive the interest in playing the game for all types of players.

Fack the red dragon I am now looking forward to participating in game to take down that nasty exploding acorn throwing squirrel.

There are lots of options for controlling the entry of Ultra Rare items into the game, how many players have the elemental serp books and modable serps in game now?... It works me thinks and it is being controlled already..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users